Author Topic: Horowitz: Is this quarantine or tyranny?  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Horowitz: Is this quarantine or tyranny?
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2020, 11:40:21 am »
The President is wrong.
I really hope you are right.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2020, 03:54:10 pm »
This pandemic has now killed more Americans than 9/11. Good luck saying it's not as bad and check out the definition of pandemic. Yes,  it fits.

Fail to prepare.
Prepare to fail.

There are several things that kill more Americans than 9/11 and we don't strip rights away from individuals because of them.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »
Is this quarantine or tyranny?

Tyranny.

Pastors are arrested and criminals are let free?
Planned parenthood sues to re-open in Texas but barbershops are closed?
Door-to-door searches for New Yorkers in Rhode Island?
Refusing to sell firearms in several states?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2020, 04:10:46 pm »
Is this quarantine or tyranny?

Tyranny.

Pastors are arrested and criminals are let free?
Planned parenthood sues to re-open in Texas but barbershops are closed?
Door-to-door searches for New Yorkers in Rhode Island?
Refusing to sell firearms in several states?

The left are giddy over their newfound authority. Once this is over it’s gonna take some effort to push them back under their rocks.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2020, 04:21:56 pm »
The left are giddy over their newfound authority. Once this is over it’s gonna take some effort to push them back under their rocks.

We don't know when this is going to be over. 

Push back?  Never going to happen now.  What's done is done.  Hold on to your 2nd amendment rights with everything you have.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2020, 04:48:43 pm »
We don't know when this is going to be over. 

Push back?  Never going to happen now.  What's done is done.  Hold on to your 2nd amendment rights with everything you have.

There will be those who will never admit it is over, but it will end and we’ll have to use our heads to know when that time comes.

And when it is over the opportunists will need to be actively pushed back down.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:49:52 pm by skeeter »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2020, 04:52:27 pm »

One unified kick in the groin on Nov 3 will go a long way ......

Offline Absalom

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2020, 05:01:53 pm »
I'm sorry this is happening to you.
------------------------
Suggestion:
Spare Mankind your sanctimony and try getting real!!!

Offline DB

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2020, 05:24:26 pm »
The simple truth is even if the government hadn't shut down business most businesses would close anyway. If you get this virus which is clearly highly contagious you have something like a 1 out of 50 chance of having to be hospitalized. That's playing the lottery every time you go out where other people are. So the majority of people would be staying home anyway. If people stay home, businesses close.

It is what it is. The goal ought to be to minimize the damage and that's hard to define as a balance between life and economics.

Printing trillions of dollars will have far reaching long term consequences. This so far worries me the most.

Offline berdie

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2020, 07:56:13 pm »
I agree with everything you posted..strongly! @DB
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:57:40 pm by berdie »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2020, 09:17:57 pm »
In a perfect world, Man would intuitively grasp the need to avoid crowding during a plague.
Yet we are not in a perfect world, so persuasion is necessary to sustain the greater good; life itself.
Yet for cranks such as Horowitz, ideology trumps the greater good.
"Perfect worlds" are the problem, in a sense. Perfect Worlds" are the places where ideology and dogma surpass the limbic functions which shun the sick and weak and push them toward the fringes of the herd to be picked off by predators or die of their own accord, while the remainder stay more healthy and secure.

As a result of our philosophies, however, perhaps even our humanity, we tend to nurture the sick, to protect the weak. When we stop behaving that way, we are seen by the collective as "inhuman".
This complicates the hard decisions that have to be made, like the choice to shut the watertight doors knowing there are others alive on the other side who will perish, in order to save the entire vessel from sinking and losing all.
An example:
What is the sixth leading cause of death in the 25 to 44 age group in the US?
This disease currently infects well over a million Americans, is a slow killer, and has killed over 700,000 Americans. sourceThe outbreak could have been contained and the spread slowed once the disease was discovered by simply closing a specific sort of business, something not done out of philosophical decisions. "Ideology" trumped the greater good, and AIDS continued to spread, assisted by the very people who remain the most likely to die from it: 32,000,000 dead worldwide, and increasing, granted that infection is driven behaviourally. In the meantime, the behaviour which has contributed most to that spread has been mainstreamed in a culture which would, in moments of greater sanity, have decried it for medical reasons, if not existing other philosophical ones. So much for intuition. So much for persuasion, that battle was lost.

If we look at the most severe outbreaks of disease in this country's history, here, for instance, we find that unless some novel disease was introduced into a population, the fundamental instinct of some humans to huddle together in urban enclaves may well be a contributor to the efficacy of pathogens, while the dispersal of other humans through their instinctive desire to spread out and maintain contact with separation, or just separation, becomes the mechanism which slows or prevents such outbreaks.
The idea that good neighbors are just out of rifle range (about an hour's walk under good conditions) from the front door has merit, especially in a pandemic.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2020, 09:24:06 pm »
Precisely right. And it makes me weep.
All part of the cycle, friend, from bondage to freedom to comfort and complacency and back to bondage....

I just hate to see it here.

And WTF are they doing with all that a$$wipe?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2020, 09:27:46 pm »
When we stop behaving that way, we are seen by the collective as "inhuman".
I agree with this part

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2020, 09:30:54 pm »
The simple truth is even if the government hadn't shut down business most businesses would close anyway. If you get this virus which is clearly highly contagious you have something like a 1 out of 50 chance of having to be hospitalized. That's playing the lottery every time you go out where other people are. So the majority of people would be staying home anyway. If people stay home, businesses close.

It is what it is. The goal ought to be to minimize the damage and that's hard to define as a balance between life and economics.

Printing trillions of dollars will have far reaching long term consequences. This so far worries me the most.
Agreed. 
Three motels in town have announced they are closing, permanently. (Over 200 rooms, two pools, a restaurant, and a bar in that mix).  The oil price crash might have taken them out anyway.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2020, 09:37:23 pm »
Agreed. 
Three motels in town have announced they are closing, permanently. (Over 200 rooms, two pools, a restaurant, and a bar in that mix).  The oil price crash might have taken them out anyway.

I'm sure the 20-buck oil was a contributing factor....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:40:57 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2020, 10:02:08 pm »
I'm sure the 20-buck oil was a contributing factor....
There were three factors involved, actually. One: New airport, some distance from town, while two of the three closing were within walking distance of the old terminal. Location, location, location.
Two: oil price crash, and anticipated (and happening) layoffs mean people who were staying in these motels by the week no longer are.

Three: Coronavirus and basic travel shutdown. I haven't seen the streets and highways this empty since the '90s.

So, it isn't just one thing, but this is likely the straw that broke it.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2020, 01:31:15 am »
All part of the cycle, friend, from bondage to freedom to comfort and complacency and back to bondage....

I just hate to see it here.

Yeah, I know. I get it. And same. I am just getting too old for what comes next.

And WTF are they doing with all that a$$wipe?

I have no idea... One thing is sure though... TP will be super cheap for years to come.