Author Topic: Why Experts Are Calling This New Coronavirus Test a 'Game-changer'  (Read 449 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why Experts Are Calling This New Coronavirus Test a 'Game-changer'

Cortney O'Brien

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 9:30 AM

The number of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. is beginning to skyrocket, and the demand for testing is higher than ever. It's with perfect timing, then, that Abbott Laboratories has developed a machine that can reportedly detect whether someone is positive for the virus within just five minutes. The virus detection machine is small and portable and can easily work in just about any hospital or clinic. It's already been approved by the FDA and experts are calling it a "game-changer."

Scott Gottlieb, MD
✔
@ScottGottliebMD

This is GAME CHANGER. Abbott to market, starting next week, a fast point-of-care #coronavirus test, delivering positive results in 5min and negative results in 13min. Will deliver 50K tests/day to start. Kudos to Abbott and FDA’s Jeff Shuren and team at CDRH who are in the fight.
7:26 PM - Mar 27, 2020

Rick Scott
✔
@SenRickScott

Thank you for all the hard work from  Abbott Labs to create a portable and fast Coronavirus testing equipment. Definitely a game changer!

Continuing to expand testing is the #1 way we can stay informed and fight the spread of the virus.

https://twitter.com/usatoday/status/1243961803006238720 …

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2020/03/31/this-new-coronavirus-test-could-be-a-gamechanger-n2566044
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

Re: Why Experts Are Calling This New Coronavirus Test a 'Game-changer'
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 08:55:30 pm »
I guess I'm having a senior moment...but why is the focus on testing so important?

There is no cure at present. If a person is unable to breath they will go to a hospital. I see pictures of lines of cars at testing facilities. If I am sick enough to go to the hospital...I can't do that. The only thing I see that can be done, unless one can't breath is stay hydrated and treat the symptoms.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:13:57 am »
berdie asked:
"why is the focus on testing so important?"

My opinion only (but what do I know?):
If one has identifiable symptoms, one probably doesn't require "a test" -- one requires treatment.

But since something like one-third of all those with COVID-19 -don't- exhibit symptoms, then "testing" -- to ascertain who's infected and who is not -- becomes critically important.

It's important to be able to segregate those who aren't infected from those who are.
And the only way to make that identification... is "to test" and identify who is.

We also need some kind of "antibody assay test" to identify who has had and is RECOVERED from the disease. These folks, too, should be able to be easily identified. I would suggest some kind of wristband with a holographic image that would not be easy to fake.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:02:31 am »
I guess I'm having a senior moment...but why is the focus on testing so important?

@berdie

Let me take a swing at that....

The one number the public sees and understand is the "Death rate" (for want of a better term).  That is represented by a simple ratio, deaths to infected people.  The numerator of that ratio (the top), "deaths" is fairly easy to quantify.  Did the patient die from COVID-19?  Yes or no.  Those are then totaled up.  We have to do that indirectly in a case like China, a still-closed society.  That's where we get clues from things like missing cell phone customers (>20 Million) and cremation urns delivered. 

The denominator (bottom) is a different task.  How many were infected?  Without widespread testing, that is a number not so easily toted.  And that's where all the uncertainty is in fixing the death rate:  the denominator.  To get an accurate fix, you have to have lots of testing to see who was infected but developed no symptoms and that's where we are playing catch-up.

That's an analysis from an armchair statistician.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 01:44:01 am »
@berdie

Let me take a swing at that....

The one number the public sees and understand is the "Death rate" (for want of a better term).  That is represented by a simple ratio, deaths to infected people.  The numerator of that ratio (the top), "deaths" is fairly easy to quantify.  Did the patient die from COVID-19?  Yes or no.  Those are then totaled up.  We have to do that indirectly in a case like China, a still-closed society.  That's where we get clues from things like missing cell phone customers (>20 Million) and cremation urns delivered. 

The denominator (bottom) is a different task.  How many were infected?  Without widespread testing, that is a number not so easily toted.  And that's where all the uncertainty is in fixing the death rate:  the denominator.  To get an accurate fix, you have to have lots of testing to see who was infected but developed no symptoms and that's where we are playing catch-up.

That's an analysis from an armchair statistician.

But when every death is attributed to Coronavirus no matter the number or severity of other existing issues makes even that problematic.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 01:48:51 am »
But when every death is attributed to Coronavirus no matter the number or severity of other existing issues makes even that problematic.

I didn't say the numerator half of the equation is "perfect," but I should have said it's "easier."  And with the source of the disease lying about it at every turn, "easier" is a highly relative term!  It's easier than trying to guess how many people have been exposed.  That we'll probably never know.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 01:51:29 am »

There is no cure at present. If a person is unable to breath they will go to a hospital. I see pictures of lines of cars at testing facilities. If I am sick enough to go to the hospital...I can't do that. The only thing I see that can be done, unless one can't breath is stay hydrated and treat the symptoms.

Because if you can quickly and reliably identify those who are infected you can quarantine them and not everyone else. As it is there's no way to know who does and does not have it. So the only action available to slow it down is quarantine everyone.