Author Topic: Louisiana governor: 'Never any hint' that Mardi Gras should have been canceled to stop coronavirus  (Read 530 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Louisiana governor: 'Never any hint' that Mardi Gras should have been canceled to stop coronavirus
by Madison Dibble
 | March 29, 2020 10:46 AM

Leaders in Louisiana blamed the federal government after being asked why they allowed the massive Mardi Gras festival to take place during the coronavirus outbreak.

Mardi Gras drew thousands to New Orleans in the last week of February for its annual parade and festivities. Now, the massive celebration is believed to be the root of a severe coronavirus outbreak hitting the area. The city's mayor said the celebration was allowed to take place because President Trump claimed the outbreak was contained at the time.

In a Sunday interview on ABC, Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards also blamed federal authorities.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/louisiana-governor-never-any-hint-that-mardi-gras-should-have-been-canceled-to-stop-coronavirus
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
First the Mayor of New Orleans not the Governor of La....neither one could make this decision?..instead they blame the federal government..I get mad every time I read about this!!!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Kathlene Brown Ray Nagin Redux!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

Let's see...the President as well as several members of his coronavirus team of experts has recommended repeatedly to avoid gatherings of more than 10 people.

I wonder what part of "avoid gatherings of more than 10 people" the governor of LA didn't understand?  The governor is accurate in saying that he didn't have a hint -- yes, governor, you have omitted that you are clueless!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

First the Mayor of New Orleans not the Governor of La....neither one could make this decision?..instead they blame the federal government..I get mad every time I read about this!!!

Echoes of Katrina.

They're both fools.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Hoodat

It is clear that Governor Edwards has no familiarity with the term 'leadership'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In February, no one knew exactly how prevalent the coronavirus would become, certainly not the President of the United States nor any other politician. As the outbreak has worsened in New Orleans, Mayor Cantrell is looking for a convenient scapegoat. This is the same approach being used by Washington Governor Jay Inslee, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and other liberal leaders across the country. For Democrat Mayors and Governors, President Trump is an easy target.

A better approach would be to acknowledge what the President has done to deal with the crisis. In the case of New Orleans, the President was not unresponsive to the needs of the region or the state. He approved a federal disaster declaration for Louisiana, making the state the fifth in the nation to qualify for additional federal funding. This also will allow for the full reimbursement of state and local expenses, which currently total at least $71 million to fight the spread of the disease. The federal government is also providing financial support for three coronavirus testing sites in the New Orleans area and has provided almost $40 million in financial resources through the Stafford Act and the CDC.

Along with the Mardi Gras celebration, other factors certainly have played a role in New Orleans being at the top of the coronavirus list. The city has thousands of homeless people and a large percentage of its citizens with inadequate healthcare and housing. In New Orleans, there is a high poverty rate and a huge number of people have preexisting conditions which make the coronavirus even more severe.

More:  https://canadafreepress.com/article/new-orleans-mayor-fight-the-virus-not-the-president

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why have a governor if all he does is look for someone else to exercise power?

Commonsense should be anytime a big event occurs in the state, communications should be made with proper federal authorities.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online corbe

I shamefully admit I voted for David Duke.  :whistle:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This is rich considering that they have plenty of examples from their comrade governors in other Democommie states to use draconian jackboot measures to lock things down, yet they don't have the power to do absolutely anything here without Fedgov intervention?

Do they really believe they can jump back-and-forth on both sides of the line and not be a complete hypocrite?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Did either one of these jackasses think to call the CDC?