Author Topic: Young and fit brought down, means hard sharp quarantine coming everywhere  (Read 492 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
JoNova 3/25/2020

Message to the young and immortal

A fully fit 28 year old who ran marathons tells what it was like for him to get Coronavirus. He ended up spending 13 days in ICU. His ongoing liver problems and weakness will take a month or two to get better.

His message to young people out at parties or on the beach: ” You might survive, but the old person that didn’t get that ventilator might not…”

But the spread of stories like this rule out some future paths.

Forget all the bleep-foot weak quarantines

This shows that the “Let it RIP” approach and the “Herd Immunity” approach were never even worth discussing. The community would not tolerate the risk or inhumanity of either. But this also shows that the Slow Bleed approach of weak Social Distancing for six months will be dumped like a hot rock asap (it’ll be rebadged and quietly wrapped in stronger stuff). As Italy found (and now Spain) weak quarantine doesn’t work very well. Only serious quarantine can solve this.

Speaking of solving this: Good to hear that cases are possibly slowing in Italy. Looks promising. What did Italy do 12 days ago — On March 12th, as the death toll hit 827, and infections topped 12,000, they locked down all shops bar the essential ones. They clamped down on public gatherings. Non-essential travel was stopped. Sadly in the last twelve days the totals have climbed to 64,000 Italians infected, and 6,000 dead and more presumably will die, though it already appears to be leveling (could be an illusion). How many lives would have been saved if Italy had acted a day sooner? (Or a week?). Some countries have the gift of time to act faster.

As stories like these spread (below of the 28 year old) a quite reasonable fear will grow and people will choose to quarantine, indeed some will refuse to go to work. There is no way the economy can keep running along with business as usual while the threat of this ticks in the background. This is not something we can live with for six months — the fear will take over a healthy economy and make it unhealthy without any government intervention anyway. The only option is some variation of short sharp and hard quarantine, or crushing the curve as I’ve been saying.  It’s where we are all headed.

More: http://joannenova.com.au/2020/03/young-and-fit-brought-down-means-hard-sharp-quarantine-coming-everywhere/

Offline musiclady

I like the idea of crushing the curve rather than just flattening it.

Slow the spread even more drastically by quarantine and in a shorter time the economy will be up and running again.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Of the (latest update) 39 current cases in ND, 19 are under 50. Eight in hospital, no deaths.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I like the idea of crushing the curve rather than just flattening it.

Slow the spread even more drastically by quarantine and in a shorter time the economy will be up and running again.

Nonsense. Preventing infection also prevents immunity.
The more you clamp down, the longer it will take to immunize.
And in the end, any quarantine will be ineffective.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I get the idea of slowing it down enough to keep the number of critical cases low at any given time, but the disease will run its course, nonetheless.
By the far end of that curve, hopefully we will have results from the promising trials underway and the number of critical cases can be reduced through treatment early, even as restrictions are let off and the economy is allowed to pick up.

But then, you have idiots in the system who have caused the number of cases to spike (Health officials: Go hug each other for the Chinese New Year in NYC), who will make a mess of that effort, likely trading bodies for political capital.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:20:30 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I get the idea of slowing it down enough to keep the number of critical cases low at any given time, but the disease will run its course, nonetheless.
By the far end of that curve, hopefully we will have results from the promising trials underway and the number of critical cases can be reduced through treatment early, even as restrictions are let off and the economy is allowed to pick up.

But then, you have idiots in the system who have caused the number of cases to spike (Health officials: Go hug each other for the Chinese New Year in NYC), who will make a mess of that effort, likely trading bodies for political capital.

Oh, I get the idea too - The problem is the idea doesn't work. The article is right in that much - This quasi-quarantine nonsense is just that - Nonsense... There are so many unprotected vector paths as to make the entire attempt useless.

FACT: Quarantine only works in a total clamp-down. One vector does the same exact thing as a thousand vectors. But at the end, you have to emerge, and emerge you will, unprotected, into an environment now rampant. You'll get it ANYWAY.

Offline musiclady

In case you missed the thousands of times it’s been said, the goal is to keep our hospitals from being overwhelmed by this raging disease.

I would urge you to stop assuming you know how this is working, and pay attention to the physicians who are begging people to stay at home and give them the TIME they need.

Treatments, which are unavailable now because this is a brand new disease, are being developed.  In time there will be a vaccine that protects us, but until then we need to slow the spread.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline roamer_1

In case you missed the thousands of times it’s been said, the goal is to keep our hospitals from being overwhelmed by this raging disease.

It ain't working. And the next step, which is already being taken, is jack-booted thugs and drones overhead. Suspension of habeas corpus sends more of a shiver down my spine than any virus ever will.

I would urge you to stop assuming you know how this is working, and pay attention to the physicians who are begging people to stay at home and give them the TIME they need.

Bullcrap, by and large. You may as well try to stop the spread of the common cold - literally another corona variant. All for naught, as the country goes down the sh*tter.

Treatments, which are unavailable now because this is a brand new disease, are being developed.  In time there will be a vaccine that protects us, but until then we need to slow the spread.

Treatments will remain unavailable as will vaccine, as Corona is nothing new. If a vax were possible, they would have it already for the myriad of times a Corona variant has raised up.

May your chains rest easy. America will not be the same when you finally venture outside... That is, when they let you...

As for hiding inside, I wouldn't even if I could.