Author Topic: DOJ proposes judges be able to detain people indefinitely and suspend court rules during coronavirus  (Read 659 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Kyle Perisic March 24, 2020

DOJ proposes judges be able to detain people indefinitely and suspend court rules during coronavirus pandemic

The U.S. Department of Justice has asked Congress for a list of emergency powers, including bestowing power upon district judges to suspend all court rules and detain individuals indefinitely during emergencies, like the coronavirus pandemic, according to an exclusive report from Politico on Sunday.

The DOJ asked Congress to authorize the attorney general to ask the chief judge of any district court to pause court proceedings “whenever the district court is fully or partially closed by virtue of any natural disaster, civil disobedience, or other emergency situation.”

Although unlikely to pass the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives, the request would grant judges the broad power to suspend civil rights that apply to “any statutes or rules of procedure otherwise affecting pre-arrest, post-arrest, pre-trial, trial, and post-trial procedures in criminal and juvenile proceedings and all civil process and proceedings,” according to legislation shared with Congress.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/03/doj-proposes-judges-be-able-to-detain-people-indefinitely-and-suspend-court-rules-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh, Hell NO! Habeas corpus, baby!

If someone is acting in a manner to cause a threat to the health and welfare of others, well, figure that out and come up with a charge. Due Process.
How many bone smugglers ran around infecting people with HIV and didn't get disappeared in the middle of the night.
Start that sh*t and there will be a lot of gunfire at night.

I am still nowhere as afraid of the disease as the panic.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

If someone is acting in a manner to cause a threat to the health and welfare of others, well, figure that out and come up with a charge. Due Process.
How many bone smugglers ran around infecting people with HIV and didn't get disappeared in the middle of the night.

Martial law soon??  Rand Paul nailed it  -- Stand up and resist!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:32:35 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Smokin Joe

Martial law soon??
We can take care of that just fine.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

We can take care of that just fine.
Looks like my neighbors...

Online roamer_1

I never thought America would die quivering in a corner in voluntary fear.

It has surely changed my mind about the constitution of what once was a hardy people.  **nononono*
I have outlived my kind.

Online Smokin Joe

I never thought America would die quivering in a corner in voluntary fear.

It has surely changed my mind about the constitution of what once was a hardy people.  **nononono*
I have outlived my kind.
There are still a few of us left, young and old, and when you think about it, those who blazed the trails, and even those who followed them were a rare and hardy breed in their day, too, far from the perfumed parlors in St. Joe or back East, in miles and mien.

But the last time Habeas Corpus was suspended, Francis Scott Key's grandson was held prisoner by the Yankees in none other than...Ft. McHenry.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

There are still a few of us left, young and old, and when you think about it, those who blazed the trails, and even those who followed them were a rare and hardy breed in their day, too, far from the perfumed parlors in St. Joe or back East, in miles and mien.

But the last time Habeas Corpus was suspended, Francis Scott Key's grandson was held prisoner by the Yankees in none other than...Ft. McHenry.

We're fixin to push right past that 'oh hell no' line.
They are tearing it down, and not a peep. Not in the South, not in the West, hell, not Texas herself.
Independence my a$$.
Liberty is in jeopardy. And folks are screaming for hand sanitizer.
Never thought I would see this day.

Online Smokin Joe

We're fixin to push right past that 'oh hell no' line.
They are tearing it down, and not a peep. Not in the South, not in the West, hell, not Texas herself.
Independence my a$$.
Liberty is in jeopardy. And folks are screaming for hand sanitizer.
Never thought I would see this day.
I have always figured some crisis would be ginned up to have people begging to trade their rights for a hot meal and a place to sleep. Such are sheep, and we've seen the flock stampede lately.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

I have always figured some crisis would be ginned up to have people begging to trade their rights for a hot meal and a place to sleep. Such are sheep, and we've seen the flock stampede lately.

The behavior of my fellow Americans has pretty well learned me.
I am fixin to crawl back up in the holler and not come back down... Lest I have to witness what is clearly coming. I don't want to see it happen.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

@Smokin Joe Your gonna be eatin crow when the Easter Day Riots â„¢ hit your bar, your church/school house, and kick over your well.  Oops that stuff is gonna happen in the city.  never mind.

It doesn't sound like the DoJ thinks all the incredible unity President Trump talks about is gonna last much longer.

A Justice Department spokeswoman clarified on Monday after the original Politico article that the judges would be given the power to suspend those court procedures — the executive branch would not be given the ability to actually suspend individuals’ rights.

“Bottom line: The proposed legislative text confers powers upon judges. It does not confer new powers upon the executive branch,” a statement posted by DOJ spokeswoman Kerri Kupec said Monday. “These provisions are designed to empower the courts to ensure the fair and effective administration of justice.”

Me:  So why do we need judges to suspend court procedures now?  :shrug:
DoJ: to empower the courts to ensure the fair and effective administration of justice.   :flag:
Me:  :thumbsdown:

Online Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe Your gonna be eatin crow when the Easter Day Riots â„¢ hit your bar, your church/school house, and kick over your well.  Oops that stuff is gonna happen in the city.  never mind.

It doesn't sound like the DoJ thinks all the incredible unity President Trump talks about is gonna last much longer.

Me:  So why do we need judges to suspend court procedures now?  :shrug:
DoJ: to empower the courts to ensure the fair and effective administration of justice.   :flag:
Me:  :thumbsdown:
I smell a rat. Actually a whole bunch of them.

The judges are supposed to be the guardians of the law, and giving them the power usurping the power to discard the very law they are supposed to follow does not sit well with me, nor should it sit well with any American.

The courts have, in the past half century especially, undertaken much of the business of the legislature, effectively making law from the bench. Now, to allow them to empower themselves with the ability to arbitrarily ignore the law reeks of the autocratic totalitarianism that the French revolted against. Coupled with the power to hold people in defiance of Habeas Corpus, this reeks of opportunity for blatant and widespread corruption and will lead to revolt.

Capriciously imprison someone, and they can lose all they own, capriciously (or maybe not so much so) imprison the 'right' people and business competition disappears, blocks of property become forfeit, personal vendettas can be carried out, leaving no recourse, no remedy in the very courts which are supposed to provide such.

The entire concept of Due Process of Law becomes a sham, and jurisprudence as it has been known best in this country is gone. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

We just saw, after three of the most corrupt years of the DOJ, following on an entire 8 years of such, why the DOJ should not be the arbiter of such power: they have abused that which they had for strictly political purposes, without regard nor respect for the law they are tasked to uphold.
 Is this the last Hail Mary play to overthrow the Constitutional Republic by those who have treated it with such contempt already?

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I smell a rat. Actually a whole bunch of them.

The judges are supposed to be the guardians of the law, and giving them the power usurping the power to discard the very law they are supposed to follow does not sit well with me, nor should it sit well with any American.

The courts have, in the past half century especially, undertaken much of the business of the legislature, effectively making law from the bench. Now, to allow them to empower themselves with the ability to arbitrarily ignore the law reeks of the autocratic totalitarianism that the French revolted against. Coupled with the power to hold people in defiance of Habeas Corpus, this reeks of opportunity for blatant and widespread corruption and will lead to revolt.

Capriciously imprison someone, and they can lose all they own, capriciously (or maybe not so much so) imprison the 'right' people and business competition disappears, blocks of property become forfeit, personal vendettas can be carried out, leaving no recourse, no remedy in the very courts which are supposed to provide such.

The entire concept of Due Process of Law becomes a sham, and jurisprudence as it has been known best in this country is gone. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

We just saw, after three of the most corrupt years of the DOJ, following on an entire 8 years of such, why the DOJ should not be the arbiter of such power: they have abused that which they had for strictly political purposes, without regard nor respect for the law they are tasked to uphold.
 Is this the last Hail Mary play to overthrow the Constitutional Republic by those who have treated it with such contempt already?

goopo