Author Topic: We’re not going back to normal  (Read 635 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
We’re not going back to normal
« on: March 25, 2020, 12:25:14 am »
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615370/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing-18-months/

We’re not going back to normal

by Gideon Lichfield
Mar 17, 2020

Social distancing is here to stay for much more than a few weeks. It will upend our way of life, in some ways forever.

To stop coronavirus we will need to radically change almost everything we do: how we work, exercise, socialize, shop, manage our health, educate our kids, take care of family members.

We all want things to go back to normal quickly. But what most of us have probably not yet realized—yet will soon—is that things won’t go back to normal after a few weeks, or even a few months. Some things never will.

It’s now widely agreed (even by Britain, finally) that every country needs to “flatten the curve”: impose social distancing to slow the spread of the virus so that the number of people sick at once doesn’t cause the health-care system to collapse, as it is threatening to do in Italy right now. That means the pandemic needs to last, at a low level, until either enough people have had Covid-19 to leave most immune (assuming immunity lasts for years, which we don’t know) or there’s a vaccine.

How long would that take, and how draconian do social restrictions need to be? Yesterday President Donald Trump, announcing new guidelines such as a 10-person limit on gatherings, said that “with several weeks of focused action, we can turn the corner and turn it quickly.” In China, six weeks of lockdown are beginning to ease now that new cases have fallen to a trickle.

But it won’t end there. As long as someone in the world has the virus, breakouts can and will keep recurring without stringent controls to contain them. In a report yesterday (pdf), researchers at Imperial College London proposed a way of doing this: impose more extreme social distancing measures every time admissions to intensive care units (ICUs) start to spike, and relax them each time admissions fall.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: We’re not going back to normal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 12:27:18 am »
I think that is mostly true @bigheadfred and the longer we drag this out the truer it becomes.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 12:28:10 am »
We are living in the Twelve Monkeys

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 12:29:28 am »
I think that is mostly true @bigheadfred and the longer we drag this out the truer it becomes.

Oh hey, look. A cashless society. How did that happen?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 12:32:38 am »
@Bigun

The author of this article seems to have some credit. Gideon Lichfield

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 12:35:18 am »
One thing that won't change, we'll still have people from all over the world flooding in with their exotic diseases to enjoy the fruits of our forefathers' labor.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 12:35:51 am »
@Bigun

The author of this article seems to have some credit. Gideon Lichfield

I'll check him out.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 12:39:35 am »
Idiocracy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 12:46:03 am »

@Bigun

I agree. Some people,and more will join in asking why they must continue
to send their children to dangerous public schools when they can stream classes
at home.

Given that children learn socialization skills in elementary school on how
to deal with strangers and strange customs,this will have untold effects on
both politics and daily life in the future.

This alone will result in the collapse of the public school system,putting
teacher college grads out begging for labor jobs.

Those are just TWO of the societal effects of ONE aspect of the changes that
will happen.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:15 am »
The push is for a digitalized society. One ring to rule them all.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:10:44 am »

Maybe I am just contrary, but the harder they push that way, the more I go the other.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 01:11:42 am »
Maybe I am just contrary, but the harder they push that way, the more I go the other.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

:beer:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 01:38:48 am »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Absolutely love this version!!!!!   

Thanks for posting.   :beer: :beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 02:00:11 am »

Amen and amen!!! Without a doubt.  Getting the masses used to social distancing and self isolation.  No need to go to the bank, you can bank on-line.  No need to go to the store, it can be delivered.  No need to go to church; you can view on-line.  Go to school, not necessary, you can learn on-line. No need to go anywhere, you can do everything on line.   The next move will be switching everything to robotics.  Jobs?  Why?  Robots will soon be doing all tasks that humans can do. They are already using robotic to perform difficult surgeries and I read that pretty soon robots themselves will be doing the surgeries and they will be able to assess your health more rapidly and accurately than any physician. 

They even have robots that can go into areas and disinfect them ... yes even against the coronavirus.

Remember the sci-fi movies -- robots vs. humanoids??  Not so far fetched any more.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:02:01 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 02:14:33 am »
Absolutely love this version!!!!!   

Thanks for posting.   :beer: :beer:

As a matter of fact, as a big fan of Simon and Garfunkel, and particularly because of their very unique sound,  had you told me I would one day admit a cover to be better, or even competing with any original, I would have called you a liar, plainly...

But it is true. Disturbed absolutely kills it.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 02:21:10 am »
As a matter of fact, as a big fan of Simon and Garfunkel, and particularly because of their very unique sound,  had you told me I would one day admit a cover to be better, or even competing with any original, I would have called you a liar, plainly...

From Down With the Sickness to Sounds of Silence is quite a musical odyssey.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:00:27 am by skeeter »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 02:25:08 am »

Indeed.  It was Christmastime.  I had just pulled into the parking lot at Best Buy and this song came on and I heard it for the first time. I had to sit and listen to it.  I couldn't get out of the car.  I was absolutely blown away.  I too am a fan of Simon and Garfunkel, but this version still blows me away.  Paul Simon even met with David Draiman and how amazing their version was and put it up on his social media page!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntNfwoKD0XA

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 02:42:34 am »
From Down With the Sickness to Sounds of Silence is quit a musical odyssey.

I wouldn't know... I am mostly country and bluegrass with a bend toward classic rock and southern rock... I don't know anything else Disturbed has done, and likely would not like it.

:shrug:

But Sound of Silence is stunning.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 02:47:57 am »
I wouldn't know... I am mostly country and bluegrass with a bend toward classic rock and southern rock... I don't know anything else Disturbed has done, and likely would not like it.

:shrug:

But Sound of Silence is stunning.

Never heard that version before.  Very nice.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 02:49:23 am »
Indeed.  It was Christmastime.  I had just pulled into the parking lot at Best Buy and this song came on and I heard it for the first time. I had to sit and listen to it.  I couldn't get out of the car.  I was absolutely blown away.  I too am a fan of Simon and Garfunkel, but this version still blows me away.  Paul Simon even met with David Draiman and how amazing their version was and put it up on his social media page!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntNfwoKD0XA

Thanks. It is striking how diminutive Draiman is, getting such a big, dark sound.

I have been surprised before like that... A friend of mine was into German grunge - Something way past metal, with angry fried gutteral 'lyrics'...

But evidently, it takes a whole lot of classical training to use that vocal fry to that degree without ripping your vocal chords to pieces... Away from his band, his voice was magnificent! We did some old English/Irish ballads together and he had such clarity, range, and control, as to make you weep.

Why he prefers that screaming cacophony to that is entirely beyond my ken.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:50:34 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 02:58:45 am »
Never heard that version before.  Very nice.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 03:12:18 am »
Dad: Turn that off.
Son: WHY???
Dad: We have bigger speakers downstairs.

Listen to the Five Finger Death Punch version of "Blue on Black".

Think about social distancing. Who are on the front lines?

Then ask yourself who you want to see show up at your burning house. A robot? Or a fireman?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 03:16:56 am »
PS

My neighbor threw a brick through my window.

So he could hear it better.

Offline DB

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 03:29:04 am »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I liked that too. Thank you.