Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 127914 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1700 on: November 19, 2022, 11:08:38 pm »
A Christmas Story Christmas.  It was very good.  Nice tribute to Darren McGavin.  Loved the Scut Farkus part.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1701 on: November 19, 2022, 11:58:55 pm »
I am now watching a tv series named "The Unit".

It is based on an actual US Army SF unit known at various times as "B-52,Delta Project,and who knows what else,since the name is changed anytime it starts to get too much attention.

I have seen nothing outrageous or insulting to the actual Delta guys I have known,and truth to tell,it does a fairly good job of honoring them,the sacrifices they make,and the things they accomplish in real life.

The series is based on a book written by a retired Delta operator,and IF I understand correctly,he was a technical advisor on the series.

BTW,do NOT get confused by the "B-52/Delta Project" thing. Those were titles that project wore during VN times,and the missions were different and nowhere near as complex as they are today.

Make no mistake about one thing,though. Delta did not and does NOT take in anybody that volunteers. Unless they have changed the standards,which seems to be VERY unlikely,they either ask you if you are interested in volunteering to serve with them,or it just doesn't happen. They know who to ask based on their previous assignments with current Delta operators. You either have enough "rep" to be invited to volunteer,or you don't get in as an operator.

I will admit that my proudest moment in the army came when a couple of senior Delta NCO's came to visit me a couple of months before I was due to get out of the army,and asked me if I would be willing to volunteer for a special mission that would require me to extend my enlistment for the duration of whatever time it took. Since that was ALL they told me and I was due to get out shortly,I turned them down and have regretted it ever since because it later became known as the Son Tay Raid,where they went into NVN and attacked a prison said to be holding US POW's. Turned out the prisoners had been moved a week or so  before the raid,but it was still something pretty damn special and I would have volunteered if I had known what it was. The rules were "volunteer first,and THEN we tell you what you will be doing",and I just wasn't willing to do that with with only a couple of months left in the army.

Keep in mind that this IS a tv show and not a documentary,though. A VERY good tv show,but still a tv show.

Also,I will  not answer any  questions about the unit or anyone I knew that served in that unit. I won't even admit to knowing any of them. It is possible everything I wrote above is a lie.

Take the series as the entertainment it is,and enjoy it.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:57:29 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1702 on: November 21, 2022, 01:29:26 am »
A Christmas Story Christmas.  It was very good.  Nice tribute to Darren McGavin.  Loved the Scut Farkus part.

Was this on regular tv or streaming? I’d like to watch it.
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1703 on: November 21, 2022, 01:37:54 am »

Was it based from any other Jean Shepherd stories?

Glad to hear about a tribute to Darren McGavin
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1704 on: November 21, 2022, 01:42:31 am »
Was this on regular tv or streaming? I’d like to watch it.

HBO Max

Was it based from any other Jean Shepherd stories?

Glad to hear about a tribute to Darren McGavin

Well, Yes and No.  It was true to the original movie in that it is 30 years later (in 1973) and follows them as they have grown up.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1705 on: November 21, 2022, 02:29:10 am »
I've been watching Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix, an interesting series by author Graham Hancock. The series details his theories that there was an advanced human civilization circa 12,000 BC which was destroyed by the Younger Dryas cataclysm, which ended the last Ice Age and killed off most of the megafauna that existed at the time.  It's an interesting take on alternative archaeology, if you are into that kind of thing.

Also watching on Netflix Season 5 of The Crown, which is about the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. This season covers the early 1990s, and I think it will end with Princess Diana's death.
Let it burn.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1706 on: November 21, 2022, 03:19:00 am »
Yellowstone Season V and Tulsa King. I'm enjoying both. Tulsa King has a bit of humor in it which gives it a nice touch.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1707 on: November 21, 2022, 03:24:31 am »
Yellowstone Season V and Tulsa King. I'm enjoying both. Tulsa King has a bit of humor in it which gives it a nice touch.

Love Yellowstone, no use for Stallone. It (used to be) a free country.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1708 on: November 21, 2022, 03:27:04 am »

We, too, are watching both shows. I like Tulsa King way better than Yellowstone, because of the humor. Stallone nails it.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1709 on: November 21, 2022, 03:27:33 am »
Walking Dead.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1710 on: November 21, 2022, 03:39:45 am »
We, too, are watching both shows. I like Tulsa King way better than Yellowstone, because of the humor. Stallone nails it.

Yes, I 'm enjoying Tulsa much more as well because of the humor.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:42:35 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1711 on: November 21, 2022, 09:03:08 am »

Found it, gonna give it a try later on....

I just finished a series called "The English". It was a sophisticated western with for the most part good dialog (few F words here and there unfortunately).... No nudity, but it had some rough drawn out scenes, lots of revenge driven plots. But I rather enjoyed it for the most part 7 out of 10 (high rating for me on modern stuff). Little gory at times with shooting and there was plenty of killings. The bad guy(s) was believable and you wanted him dead. Ending was bittersweet.

https://youtu.be/DmcsV8_BefI

Didn't have as much woke crap other than some feminist stuff touched upon with a sprinkling of stealing of Indian lands. Quite bloody, but the dialog was almost delicious in places for once. Like I said, a mature modern western. What was bloody annoying was the flashbacks in the movie, may be artsy, but I like a story told a little more straight line.

One season, Six episodes. PM me if you need links.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 09:06:25 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1712 on: November 24, 2022, 07:24:51 am »
Just got done with 'Patterns of Evidence: The Moses Controversy'

Digital rental, about 5 bucks.

Pretty good argument for the Biblical story, and the needful ability of Moses to read and write... The genesis of proto-Sinaitic and the argument that its root is Hebrew, not Phoenician.

Worth the watch if you are into such things... As is the first documentary in the series... 'Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus'.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1713 on: November 25, 2022, 12:14:47 am »
Trying to watch Wednesday on Netflix

Just not feeling it.

I’ll try it on another day

Offline verga

« Reply #1714 on: November 28, 2022, 01:13:57 pm »

Just not feeling it.

Vergette and I love it. The humor is very dry and unexpected. No cheap laughs so far.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1715 on: November 28, 2022, 11:02:19 pm »
Watched a relatively unknown but very good film last night titled "The Last Boy". Story is a mix of science fiction/post-apocalyptic/spiritual.

I hadn't been expecting much (considering most of the other apocalyptic films I've been watching for the past several months which are overly violent or just plain nihilistic), but it took only a few minutes "in" to realize that this one was going to be different.

Setting is in England. Some unspecified disaster has wiped out most of humanity and left "wind-like" entities that roam and attack humans, turning them into pillars of crystals. The boy is given a scanning device by his dying mother (that helps to defend against "the winds") and a map which will lead him to a place where "wishes are granted". The movie chronicles his journey.

Amazingly...
... there is no profanity
... no nudity
... no gratuitous violence.
I was astounded. The film proves that you can still make a movie (this was done in 2019) without such things, even in these times.

Very interesting ending, to interpret as however you wish.

An hour and a half long, and I wish it had been LONGER, to see more of the characters and what made them work.

This gets my highest recommendation.

Not sure where this can even be found (or streamed).
You could try here:
ytstvmovies.xyz/the-last-boy-2019
(purposely NOT "a clickable link", you know what to do)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1716 on: November 28, 2022, 11:49:47 pm »

The trailer to Wednesday turned me off. It looks like a typical 'high-school revenge' movie, which I have no interest in.

Rewatching the best parts of Breaking Bad -- skipping most of the deep emotional dialogue. Did not grasp how much those people LOVE breakfast on the first viewing. Pancakes, omelets, fruit and bacon everyday. Must be nice ... I guess? They rarely actually eat it. It's OK for a rerun. That Walter White guy is really deeply disturbed. Fring should have taken Walt out when Walt decided to fire Gale. If Fring had gone with Gale from that point, nothing would have happened and he would still be in business today.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1717 on: November 29, 2022, 12:09:11 am »
Watched 'The Shack' last night on NetFlix.

A story about a man coming to grips with the violent loss of a young daughter, and his healing by way of a meeting with God.

I was asked to watch it critically, with an eye toward the Christian themes. It's a pretty good story... Emotional and inevitably uplifting. But with a gender-shifting non-judgemental 'father', a female 'spirit', And a Jesus that waives off Torah... All neatly couched.

I dunno. I have to chew on it a while.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1718 on: November 29, 2022, 12:13:12 am »
Watched 'The Shack' last night on NetFlix.

A story about a man coming to grips with the violent loss of a young daughter, and his healing by way of a meeting with God.

I was asked to watch it critically, with an eye toward the Christian themes. It's a pretty good story... Emotional and inevitably uplifting. But with a gender-shifting non-judgemental 'father', a female 'spirit', And a Jesus that waives off Torah... All neatly couched.

I dunno. I have to chew on it a while.

Treat it as fiction and you’ll be fine.  happy77

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1719 on: November 29, 2022, 12:22:26 am »
Treat it as fiction and you’ll be fine.  happy77

It's a thing, right?  :shrug:

Offline verga

« Reply #1720 on: November 29, 2022, 12:49:54 pm »
The trailer to Wednesday turned me off. It looks like a typical 'high-school revenge' movie, which I have no interest in.

It is not, The trailer does not do it justice. The humor is very dry and takes some weird turns. The story is interesting and you see some interesting character development.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1721 on: November 30, 2022, 08:51:03 pm »
Just watched Beowulf on Netflix. Never realized how many Black female Vikings and gay people lived in 6th century Scandinavia.

And then, in one of the final scenes when in the final fight scene Beowulf chops off Grendel's hand, and Beowulf is begging Grendel to join him, to rule the empire and bring order to chaos. Grendel refuses and then Beowulf says, "Grendel, I am your father ..." that twisted my head off, was not expecting that at all!

It is well done I suppose, not exactly the original story, but it is a story somewhat modified which is kind of good. You get the idea of the Beowulf story without getting into too many details.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline corbe

« Reply #1722 on: December 12, 2022, 05:22:15 am »
   @Texas Robin and i just finished 1883 after the Yellowstone 4 seasons.  Looking forward to 1923 from these Writers.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1723 on: December 12, 2022, 08:19:48 am »
Anyone watching or watched the Meghan/Harry Netflix show?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1724 on: December 12, 2022, 08:36:47 am »

Just not feeling it.

It was woke and weird... but I watched it and at times enjoyed it... the lead didn't have me rooting for her. It was sorta Harry Potter without the caring for the him (or the rest of the family).

Rewatched "Reacher" series, one of the few tv series worth watching.... Cursing, nudity stripper bar in like the 3 episode (skip forward).... Strong male lead, decent co-star characters, good story. I rate it a 8.5/10 (good grade from me).

Quote from: fisherman
Watched a relatively unknown but very good film last night titled "The Last Boy".

Thanks, gonna give it a try...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:59:46 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....