Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 127408 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #425 on: April 26, 2021, 10:25:45 pm »
Last night watched a British/Australian tv move from the 80's called "Threads", about the aftermath of a nuclear war on Sheffield, UK.

Pretty good, actually, although some of it seemed to hinge on the concept of "nuclear winter" that now seems to be discredited.

It can be "found on the net" for downloadin', if you hunt for it.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #426 on: April 26, 2021, 11:02:53 pm »
Watching Frasier.
Lots of similarities to Monk. Basically afraid of everything real in life.
Unbelievable obsession with wine and sherry. Crazy.
Every episode is flooded with wine. Would you like some wine? I'm having some wine.
Do you want wine? Let's have some wine. Wine wine wine wine wine...
Apparently the producers/writers think that wine equals rich, or something. I don't know.

It has every cliché sitcom schtick you can think of.
Any time anyone says anything, you know immediately what is going to happen.

Most of the episodes are about a 'misunderstanding' which is typical sitcom stuff.
Instead of just talking and resolving the situation, Frasier goes though huge convoluted schemes to resolve a simple problem.
Which is what all sitcoms do.

Frasier starts out as a kind of lovable chump. But he gets mean toward the end.
Starting at around season 7/8 he turns into a real bleep.
Hard to believe this guy was making 1.6 million dollars per episode.

But it is light and funny sometimes. It is a completely empty show.
But whatever. It kills time.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #427 on: May 08, 2021, 05:46:04 am »
I am now trying to watch a series on Amazon Prime (it's available elsewhere,also) titled "Counterpart"

Part sci-fi with an alternate identical world,including identical people,and part criminal conspiracy. Excellent acting and actors,and and what seems to be excellent plots.

MY problem with it is I am still suffering from "Chemo Brain",and my short-term memory sucks. This makes it really hard for me to follow a plot where every character has an identical twin,and they usually seem to be working against one another. I lose track of which one I am watching at times,and this makes me confused.

About the only way *I* can enjoy it is to watch several episodes at one sitting because of my short-term memory. If I watch one episode and wait a week to see the next one,I am lost.

Not complaining about the show itself,though. Actually I was happy to find a series to watch that was more complex than child programming,or the typical sitcom for fools.

I strongly suspect it would be a VERY interesting program to watch for those of you who still have your wits about you,though. First-class acting all through it,and from what little I can retain,the writing seems first-class,also.

I also like the fact that there isn't a 20 year old super-model to be found in skin-tight pants and high-heeled leather boots shouting "Hi,You!" as she "karate kicks" several weight lifters into putty without breaking a nail or getting her hair out of place.

Most of the main characters seem to be over 50,which is age appropriate for the positions they hold in either alternate government.

Yeah,I do recommend you give it a try.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:48:47 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #428 on: May 08, 2021, 05:54:06 am »
May be one of the last on earth to watch GOT.  Just finished season 1.  Pretty damned awesome.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #429 on: May 08, 2021, 05:56:40 am »
May be one of the last on earth to watch GOT.  Just finished season 1.  Pretty damned awesome.

I STILL have not watched the final season.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #430 on: May 08, 2021, 05:59:09 am »
I just got done with the newer Battlestar Galactica. Worth it, in a nostalgic way.

Lots of stuff over there at PeacockTV... Signed up for free, though I doubt I will need to go to the paid version. Lots of good old stuff for free.

Oh, and Ublock blocks their ads over there too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:09:53 am by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #431 on: May 08, 2021, 06:32:21 am »

@catfish1957

You ain't just a-wooffin!

I normally hate fantasy sci-fi,but around season 3 or 4 I was casting about for something new to watch,and decided to click on season 1,episode 1 of GoT to see what all the excitement was about,and ended up watching the whole damn season in one sitting.

And I got good news for ya. It gets better as it goes along.

I am still in awe that mere humans could manage to get all the actors/actresses,scripts,extras,scenery,etc,etc,etc all together to create such an immense masterpiece of visual story telling.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:34:32 am by sneakypete »

BassWrangler

« Reply #432 on: May 08, 2021, 05:49:10 pm »
@catfish1957

You ain't just a-wooffin!

I normally hate fantasy sci-fi,but around season 3 or 4 I was casting about for something new to watch,and decided to click on season 1,episode 1 of GoT to see what all the excitement was about,and ended up watching the whole damn season in one sitting.

And I got good news for ya. It gets better as it goes along.

I am still in awe that mere humans could manage to get all the actors/actresses,scripts,extras,scenery,etc,etc,etc all together to create such an immense masterpiece of visual story telling.

It was really excellent right up until the last episode. I recommend skipping that and making up your own ending.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #433 on: May 08, 2021, 10:04:10 pm »
Tonight I'll watch an old documentary on Dylan and some others (including The Band) -- "Eat the Document", which I scrounged up on the net.

Tomorrow night: old science fiction movie "It Came From Beneath the Sea"...

Online libertybele

« Reply #434 on: May 08, 2021, 11:40:33 pm »
"Classic Gospel" on PBS

About gospel's country roots...Gaither Vocal Band, Gatlin Brothers, Oakridge Boys

P.S. Enjoyed every minute of it.

:beer:  Good to see you posting again!   happy77
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #435 on: May 09, 2021, 03:44:29 am »

@libertybele

Thank you. I swing by every so often.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #436 on: May 09, 2021, 04:59:28 am »
"Classic Gospel" on PBS

About gospel's country roots...Gaither Vocal Band, Gatlin Brothers, Oakridge Boys

P.S. Enjoyed every minute of it.

@AllThatJazzZ

Oh,yeah! That is the original industrial-strength stuff! If it doesn't move you,you are made from stone.

BTW,IMO,you have it backwards. Gospel music was the original popular music. Prior to Gospel,all the music in the western world was either chants,or Hymns in Latin for the Catholic Church.

It was Gospel Music,flowing out of the church to "common people" that created the "music world" for common people.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #437 on: May 09, 2021, 05:00:37 am »

@libertybele   @AllThatJazzZ

Yeah,I will happily second that one!

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #438 on: May 10, 2021, 10:27:38 am »

It is - after season 1. It gets a lot better from there. Epic
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline verga

« Reply #439 on: May 10, 2021, 01:22:08 pm »
I am now trying to watch a series on Amazon Prime (it's available elsewhere,also) titled "Counterpart"

Part sci-fi with an alternate identical world,including identical people,and part criminal conspiracy. Excellent acting and actors,and and what seems to be excellent plots.

MY problem with it is I am still suffering from "Chemo Brain",and my short-term memory sucks. This makes it really hard for me to follow a plot where every character has an identical twin,and they usually seem to be working against one another. I lose track of which one I am watching at times,and this makes me confused.

About the only way *I* can enjoy it is to watch several episodes at one sitting because of my short-term memory. If I watch one episode and wait a week to see the next one,I am lost.

Not complaining about the show itself,though. Actually I was happy to find a series to watch that was more complex than child programming,or the typical sitcom for fools.

I strongly suspect it would be a VERY interesting program to watch for those of you who still have your wits about you,though. First-class acting all through it,and from what little I can retain,the writing seems first-class,also.

I also like the fact that there isn't a 20 year old super-model to be found in skin-tight pants and high-heeled leather boots shouting "Hi,You!" as she "karate kicks" several weight lifters into putty without breaking a nail or getting her hair out of place.

Most of the main characters seem to be over 50,which is age appropriate for the positions they hold in either alternate government.

Watched the first 2-3 episodes. GREAT show. I watch it while Vergette is at work, since it is not her cup of tea.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #440 on: May 10, 2021, 02:10:50 pm »
Watched the first 2-3 episodes. GREAT show. I watch it while Vergette is at work, since it is not her cup of tea.

@verga

I agree,but you REALLY have to pay attention to what is going on,or you are lost.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #441 on: May 11, 2021, 02:58:39 am »
After not being able to find a decent movie I haven't already seen on Netflix, out of boredom I clicked on 2 Netflix documentaries:

1) The Monster Next Door...about Ivan "The Terrible" Demjanjuk. who participated in the extermination of over 750K Jews at Treblinka and other Ukraine death camps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8h16g1cVak

2) Son(s) of Sam...about David Berkowitz' killings of young teenagers in Queens and the Bronx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICFZ1wS8Fuc

They were both very informative and enlightening...telling the story behind the headlines.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:01:01 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

BassWrangler

« Reply #442 on: May 11, 2021, 04:11:13 pm »

Since you're not interested, send the 20 year old super models my way, LOL.

Seriously, though, Counterpart was great. I enjoyed the whole series, and how they do another season.

Online corbe

« Reply #443 on: May 19, 2021, 10:01:34 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

« Reply #444 on: May 19, 2021, 10:24:54 pm »
I decided now that my soap opera "The Young and the Restless" which I have watched off and on since its inception, is back on to watch it. (One stinking hour of TV a day).  Except... Comcast strikes again.  Cable didn't work. We went down to their office and they gave us a new box to hook up, they forget to scan it, so we had to go back again, and it still doesn't work.  So after an hour on the phone and another half hour or so in drive time, they'll be out Sunday morning to fix it.  They went through all the dang COVID guidline crap (which I told them how I felt about it) as well.

Oh I so wish, hubby would cut the cable cord! We have a Roku box ... I would think that should have enough to keep him occupied, right?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #445 on: May 20, 2021, 06:04:32 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0hTmzISOlQ

The Woman in the Window -2021 NETFLIX

Julianne Moore

About The Woman in the Window:

In “The Woman in the Window,” a psychological suspense thriller directed by Joe Wright, an agoraphobic child psychologist befriends a neighbor across the street from her New York City brownstone, only to see her own life turned upside down when the woman disappears and she suspects foul play.

A stellar ensemble cast brings Tracy Letts’ screenplay based on the gripping, best-selling novel to life, where shocking secrets are revealed, and no one—and nothing—is what it seems.

Starring Amy Adams, Gary Oldman, Anthony Mackie, Wyatt Russell, Brian Tyree Henry, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Julianne Moore, “The Woman in the Window” is produced by Scott Rudin, Eli Bush and Anthony Katagas.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2021, 06:33:19 pm »
I am now watching Season 3 of "Brotherhood" on Hulu now. It's a mob story about Irish mobsters in New England. Good writing and good acting,even if the plots are basically the same ones we have seen for 50 years now.

After all,organized crime is organized crime,and the players are always motivated by greed,envy,anger,and a total lack of morality and reason. As usual,it is about "Me FIRST,BLEED YOU!"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:34:24 pm by sneakypete »

BassWrangler

« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2021, 06:36:57 pm »
I am now watching Season 3 of "Brotherhood" on Hulu now. It's a mob story about Irish mobsters in New England. Good writing and good acting,even if the plots are basically the same ones we have seen for 50 years now.

After all,organized crime is organized crime,and the players are always motivated by greed,envy,anger,and a total lack of morality and reason. As usual,it is about "Me FIRST,BLEED YOU!"

Hey @sneakypete - did you ever watch "Band of Brothers"?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #448 on: May 20, 2021, 09:22:08 pm »
The Woman in the Window -2021 NETFLIX

A note to thank you on the arrangement of your recommendations @DCPatriot - That sort of thing is often unmentioned, but it is appreciated.
 :beer: :seeya:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #449 on: May 20, 2021, 09:57:38 pm »
A note to thank you on the arrangement of your recommendations @DCPatriot - That sort of thing is often unmentioned, but it is appreciated.
 :beer: :seeya:

@roamer_1

:beer: