Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129008 times)

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #675 on: September 06, 2021, 01:29:16 am »
Ok, so I'm not in front of the TV actually watching the program as I'm mostly in our den on the computer, but when I go out to cook or putz around in the kitchen or family room, hubby has on "Yellowstone".  Paramount has run the entire series back to back, I believe, 3 times now, maybe even 4 times.  It is the only program that I actually watch and yes I am anxious for Season 4 to start, but I need a break from seeing the past 3 seasons, over and over.  :shrug:

We loved Yellowstone and look forward to the new season.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #676 on: September 06, 2021, 01:30:12 am »

:yowsa: Ditto.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #677 on: September 06, 2021, 02:15:16 am »

I heard that they are coming out with a prequel about how the Duttons came to Yellowstone. I think it sounds great.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

BassWrangler

« Reply #678 on: September 06, 2021, 09:37:03 am »
@BassWrangler

There were SF troops operating in Laos in the late 50's.

Africa,too.

I came close to parachuting into Johanasburg in 1965,when the Zulu (I THINK it was the Zulu) had an uprising,and were boiling white people alive in the streets to eat them. They had a witch doctor that told them he had cast a spell making the white man's bullets harmless to them,and then hopped them up on some sort of local drug whose name I can't remember.

I was in the 3rd SFG at the time,and our area of responsibility was Africa.

We sat out on the airfield at Pope AFB for a day or two in civilian clothes,waiting for the "go orders" to arrive so we could fly there and parachute in. Hell,I didn't even KNOW I had a passport until it was handed to me while we were waiting to fly off.

Luckily for me,the UN decided to send in the French Foreign Legion and some Belgian paratroops instead of us. Probably a wise move because even being drugged,the Africans knew not to screw with the French Foreign Legion. They parachuted in,and suddenly all the canibals heard their mamas calling,and hauled ass for home.

Amazing. I had no idea how many countries we've had SF in over the years.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #679 on: September 06, 2021, 05:47:16 pm »
Amazing. I had no idea how many countries we've had SF in over the years.

@BassWrangler

Well,that's what SF was created to do to start with.

But mostly for peaceful reasons. Their prime mission is to go into 3rd world countries and bond with the locals by teaching them how to avoid diseases by digging wells,giving free health clinics where the SF medics do everything from act as doctors at birth,give vaccinations,teach hygene,set broken bones,pull teeth,etc,etc,etc.

The engineers are the ones that dig the wells,put up the housing,teach proper disposal of trash,put in airstrips,build dispenseries and other housing,build schools,put in septic tanks,etc,etc,etc.

And the infantry guys set up the defenses and teach weapons skills,patrolling,etc,etc,etc so they can defend themselves against attack.

Basically,their actions create a lot of good will for the US while making life more pleasant,safer,and healthier for the locals.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

BassWrangler

« Reply #680 on: September 06, 2021, 05:55:03 pm »
@BassWrangler

Well,that's what SF was created to do to start with.

But mostly for peaceful reasons. Their prime mission is to go into 3rd world countries and bond with the locals by teaching them how to avoid diseases by digging wells,giving free health clinics where the SF medics do everything from act as doctors at birth,give vaccinations,teach hygene,set broken bones,pull teeth,etc,etc,etc.

The engineers are the ones that dig the wells,put up the housing,teach proper disposal of trash,put in airstrips,build dispenseries and other housing,build schools,put in septic tanks,etc,etc,etc.

And the infantry guys set up the defenses and teach weapons skills,patrolling,etc,etc,etc so they can defend themselves against attack.

Basically,their actions create a lot of good will for the US while making life more pleasant,safer,and healthier for the locals.

@sneakypete
Did not know this either. I always thought their primary missions were chiefly some short term, tactical, kinetic action, like hostage rescue, taking out some rogue actor, etc.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #681 on: September 06, 2021, 09:35:26 pm »
@sneakypete
Did not know this either. I always thought their primary missions were chiefly some short term, tactical, kinetic action, like hostage rescue, taking out some rogue actor, etc.

@BassWrangler

Nope,those "Hollywood Missions" where you go in after bombing or suppressive fire,spend 30 minutes on the ground  to take out specific targets,and then go back to base are what SEALS do.

OOPS! Forgot about Delta Project. It is an army unit with all the operators being SF guys,supported by a dedicated crew of USAF pilots as well as US Army helicopter pilots. They also have US Army Rangers assigned to them for some missions.

Delta was created by a former Project Delta (VN/Detachment B-52) commander,who then recruited former Delta operators to be the ground operators for the new unit. It surprised no one when he named it Delta Project.

I have no idea what the standards are today,but it used to be the only way to become a Delta ground operator was to be a SF veteran who was recommended by at least 2 existing Delta operators,and then invited to volunteer. It used to be so secret that if you did volunteer,you just disappeared. Nobody claimed to know where you went,or to even knowing you,but of course they did know.

Unlike the Irianian desert scenario,Delta has it's  own dedicated USAF unit and US Army helicopter units that fly for nobody else but them,and train with no one else but them.

Unlike the SEALS,you almost never heard of Delta doing anything. If something they did was reported,they would deny it. They don't care much for publicity because they understand it gets people killed.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 10:05:07 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #682 on: September 06, 2021, 09:38:02 pm »
Once again I am watching MI-5 on Brit Box. Seems like this series has been on forever,and it's about as good as it gets when it comes to real-life portrayal of spy and counter-spy missions.

And as usual with the Brits,NOBODY is hired because they have big jugs,are name brands,or are in the scandal sheets. They simply hire the best actors and actresses they can find that are available,and acting is still taken seriously in England.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #683 on: September 06, 2021, 09:55:27 pm »

I love it too and can't wait for season 4....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

BassWrangler

« Reply #684 on: September 06, 2021, 11:02:05 pm »
@BassWrangler

Nope,those "Hollywood Missions" where you go in after bombing or suppressive fire,spend 30 minutes on the ground  to take out specific targets,and then go back to base are what SEALS do.

OOPS! Forgot about Delta Project. It is an army unit with all the operators being SF guys,supported by a dedicated crew of USAF pilots as well as US Army helicopter pilots. They also have US Army Rangers assigned to them for some missions.

Delta was created by a former Project Delta (VN/Detachment B-52) commander,who then recruited former Delta operators to be the ground operators for the new unit. It surprised no one when he named it Delta Project.

I have no idea what the standards are today,but it used to be the only way to become a Delta ground operator was to be a SF veteran who was recommended by at least 2 existing Delta operators,and then invited to volunteer. It used to be so secret that if you did volunteer,you just disappeared. Nobody claimed to know where you went,or to even knowing you,but of course they did know.

Unlike the Irianian desert scenario,Delta has it's  own dedicated USAF unit and US Army helicopter units that fly for nobody else but them,and train with no one else but them.

Unlike the SEALS,you almost never heard of Delta doing anything. If something they did was reported,they would deny it. They don't care much for publicity because they understand it gets people killed.

@sneakypete
It also seems like even within the SEAL teams there are teams with different missions. And I'm not talking about the underwater demolition guys, but rather the regular SEAL teams. I read about this in Rob O'Neill's book, where he discusses the process where he was selected for Seal Team 6 (IIRC, that was the team, but I could have that wrong), which seemed to be a select group of people chosen from among the other SEAL teams.

BassWrangler

« Reply #685 on: September 06, 2021, 11:03:23 pm »
I love it too and can't wait for season 4....

Just a couple of days ago Ms. Wrangler and I were speculating when Season 4 would drop. IIRC it was supposed to be here in June, but obviously that didn't happen.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #686 on: September 06, 2021, 11:05:01 pm »
Just a couple of days ago Ms. Wrangler and I were speculating when Season 4 would drop. IIRC it was supposed to be here in June, but obviously that didn't happen.

I just read yesterday...season 4 starts in Nov.... :crying:

Sunday, November 7 to be exact
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:05:57 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

« Reply #687 on: September 06, 2021, 11:12:56 pm »

(My bday by the way happy77).  It's supposed to be a 2 hr. premiere.  Let's hope that they cut back on all the commercials.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

BassWrangler

« Reply #688 on: September 07, 2021, 12:31:41 am »

Yes, Mrs. Wrangler confirms.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #689 on: September 07, 2021, 08:16:09 am »
@sneakypete
It also seems like even within the SEAL teams there are teams with different missions. And I'm not talking about the underwater demolition guys, but rather the regular SEAL teams. I read about this in Rob O'Neill's book, where he discusses the process where he was selected for Seal Team 6 (IIRC, that was the team, but I could have that wrong), which seemed to be a select group of people chosen from among the other SEAL teams.

@BassWrangler

Seal Team 6 are the elite Seals. The way I understand it,all SEALS start out on other teams,and the best operators end up on Seal Team 6.

I could be wrong about that,though. My only shared training with SEALS was the army paratrooper school.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #690 on: September 07, 2021, 11:20:40 am »
@BassWrangler

Seal Team 6 are the elite Seals. The way I understand it,all SEALS start out on other teams,and the best operators end up on Seal Team 6.

I could be wrong about that,though. My only shared training with SEALS was the army paratrooper school.

@sneakypete you did parachute jumping? You’re so much braver than me. I don’t think I could ever do it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #691 on: September 07, 2021, 01:58:12 pm »
@sneakypete you did parachute jumping? You’re so much braver than me. I don’t think I could ever do it.

If you ever got on the plane at jump school you WERE going to jump!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online rustynail

« Reply #692 on: September 07, 2021, 02:17:09 pm »
Watching the republican Kentucky legislature in special session give back to Democrat Governor Andy Beshear his Emergency Powers that had been curtailed.  AKA RINOs sell out their voters again.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #693 on: September 07, 2021, 02:33:09 pm »

I have a fear of heights, really bad. Anyone who can go parasailing or parachute is my hero.

Strange,  I’m fine on planes.

@Bigun
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #694 on: September 07, 2021, 03:07:18 pm »
I have a fear of heights, really bad. Anyone who can go parasailing or parachute is my hero.

Strange,  I’m fine on planes.

@Bigun

None for me @Gefn ... But I don't mind hanging off of 165 ft of rope on a 600 ft sheer rock wall... but that's different.

And I ain't fine in planes. Options. It's all about options under failure.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #695 on: September 08, 2021, 12:58:37 am »
@sneakypete
you did parachute jumping?

@Gefn

Yup! When I enlisted in the army,Privates got paid $69 a month. Privates that jumped out of airplanes got paid an additional $55 per month.

You’re so much braver than me. I don’t think I could ever do it.

Not really. Ironically enough,one reason I wanted to become a paratrooper was because I was afraid of heights,and I figured I could beat it that way.

I was so ignorant I didn't realize people are afraid of heights because they have a natural inclination to jump if exposed to heights. NOT jumping would have been a problem.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #696 on: September 08, 2021, 01:05:10 am »

@Bigun

Oh,yeah! Between the jumpmaster and the safety NCO,you WERE going to go out that door one way or another.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #697 on: September 08, 2021, 01:08:09 am »
@Bigun

Oh,yeah! Between the jumpmaster and the safety NCO,you WERE going to go out that door one way or another.

Nothing on earth mor forceful that a planeload of scared to death GIs all shuffling in the same direction.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #698 on: September 08, 2021, 01:10:13 am »
Back on topic,the new episodes of MI-5 are as good as ever. I recommend this show to anyone who wants to watch a show about spies that doesn't insult your intelligence with Super Models inch heel karate kicking 400 lb thugs into submission befroe drawing their guns on him.

Yeah,some of the people on the show ARE attractive,and let's just say some are less attractive. All can flat act their asses off,though.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #699 on: September 08, 2021, 01:00:27 pm »
I am finding that Brit TV is about the only place to find viewing (mostly) without continous "wokeness" infused into its content.
What I really like about the Brits, is that regardless of appearance, their actors can act.
American actors are a crapshoot, and, as you noted, there is far too much 'wokeness' stuffed into American productions.
I don't want to be socially programmed, I just want to be entertained.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis