Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 128519 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #450 on: May 21, 2021, 09:50:04 am »
Hey @sneakypete - did you ever watch "Band of Brothers"?

@BassWrangler

Yes,I did. LOVED it!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #451 on: May 21, 2021, 09:53:26 am »
"Classic Gospel" on PBS

About gospel's country roots...Gaither Vocal Band, Gatlin Brothers, Oakridge Boys

P.S. Enjoyed every minute of it.

@AllThatJazzZ

Yeah,if THAT doesn't get your feet stomping and your hands clapping,there ain't no hope for ya!

Although you have it backwards. Gospel came first,and out of Gospel came country,rock and roll,and da blues.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2021, 02:12:31 pm »
Continuing with British police procedurals:  we're now watching Line of Duty.  Just finished season 2.  As usual for the Brits, good acting.  It's set in an unspecified (fictional) city in the north of England and follows the investigations and lives of AC-12, an anti-corruption unit, so most everyone in it, good guys and bad guys alike are cops.

We took a break from our usual fare and watched Demon Hunter: Kimetsu no Yaiba, an anime series, the continuation of which as a feature film just dethroned Titanic and Spirited Away at the top of Japanese box-office receipts.  It's only a recommendation to any of you who have developed Japanese patience for slow developing plots, and maybe not even then -- anime is mostly fun as a peek into the culture of the one non-Western place that modernized mostly on its own terms.  The Japanese are very strange...
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2021, 04:26:35 pm »
Continuing with British police procedurals:  we're now watching Line of Duty.  Just finished season 2.  As usual for the Brits, good acting.  It's set in an unspecified (fictional) city in the north of England and follows the investigations and lives of AC-12, an anti-corruption unit, so most everyone in it, good guys and bad guys alike are cops.

@The_Reader_David Read

I am watching it now myself. As you mentioned,NOBODY does this sort of thing better than the Brits.

BTW,in case you haven't seen it,"MI-5" is one of the best spy series ever produced.

Foyle's War,a crime series about a detective in London during WW-2 is also first-rate.

Offline verga

« Reply #454 on: May 26, 2021, 11:47:54 am »
@The_Reader_David Read

I am watching it now myself. As you mentioned,NOBODY does this sort of thing better than the Brits.

BTW,in case you haven't seen it,"MI-5" is one of the best spy series ever produced.

Foyle's War,a crime series about a detective in London during WW-2 is also first-rate.
Are these on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #455 on: May 26, 2021, 12:35:38 pm »
Are these on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime?

@verga

Some are on all three,some on just one. I just use the search engine on my ROKU (best one I have ever seen) to find where something is being aired,and watch whichever one it is free to watch on.

Offline verga

« Reply #456 on: May 26, 2021, 01:15:58 pm »
@verga

Some are on all three,some on just one. I just use the search engine on my ROKU (best one I have ever seen) to find where something is being aired,and watch whichever one it is free to watch on.
Thanks. Vergette and I will check them out.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

BassWrangler

« Reply #457 on: May 26, 2021, 07:01:46 pm »
@The_Reader_David Read

Thanks! I've added all 3 to my Amazon Prime watchlist, although looks like just one of them is free there. Unfortunately, I booted Netflix over the "Cuties" controversy...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #458 on: May 26, 2021, 09:30:31 pm »
Thanks! I've added all 3 to my Amazon Prime watchlist, although looks like just one of them is free there. Unfortunately, I booted Netflix over the "Cuties" controversy...

@BassWrangler

Ok,the only place I can find Foyle's War playing is on Acorn tv,and it costs $4.99 per month to subscribe. There ARE 9 seasons there to view,so binge watch all nine and then kill your subscription if you don't see anything else there you like.

Line of Duty is on Brit Box,and I pay $7.96 per month for that and consider it a bargain.

MI-5 is also on Brit Box

ALL of them have been free on PBS at one time or another,and that is where I first watched them.

BassWrangler

« Reply #459 on: May 26, 2021, 10:12:14 pm »
@BassWrangler

Ok,the only place I can find Foyle's War playing is on Acorn tv,and it costs $4.99 per month to subscribe. There ARE 9 seasons there to view,so binge watch all nine and then kill your subscription if you don't see anything else there you like.

Line of Duty is on Brit Box,and I pay $7.96 per month for that and consider it a bargain.

MI-5 is also on Brit Box

ALL of them have been free on PBS at one time or another,and that is where I first watched them.

Brit Box might be worth it for a month or two at least. Like you, I find the acting to be a higher quality than American TV.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #460 on: May 26, 2021, 10:35:28 pm »
Brit Box might be worth it for a month or two at least. Like you, I find the acting to be a higher quality than American TV.

@BassWrangler

The acting,the writing,and the absolutely stunning scenery in some shows are unbelievable. You don't get roles on BBC just because you are a Kardashian. If anything,you would get banned.

Also check out your local PBS station show lists. Pretty much everything good on BritBox has been on PBS at one time or another. Each PBS station is it's own little broadcast empire,so you have to get your local PBS broadcast schedule to find out what is coming on.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #461 on: May 26, 2021, 10:55:42 pm »
@BassWrangler

The acting,the writing,and the absolutely stunning scenery in some shows are unbelievable. You don't get roles on BBC just because you are a Kardashian. If anything,you would get banned.

Also check out your local PBS station show lists. Pretty much everything good on BritBox has been on PBS at one time or another. Each PBS station is it's own little broadcast empire,so you have to get your local PBS broadcast schedule to find out what is coming on.

We have been watching a lot of other UK shows, and find it refreshing not to have SJW shit not continuously shoved down our throats.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

BassWrangler

« Reply #462 on: May 26, 2021, 11:05:39 pm »
@BassWrangler

@sneakypete
Yes, I'm not picky, but but recently US network television shows seem to be written for someone with an IQ of 80.

We have been watching a lot of other UK shows, and find it refreshing not to have SJW shit not continuously shoved down our throats.

@catfish1957 - yes, that's a big part of why I don't care for most of the US shows. If I want to be preached at, I'll go elsewhere. Same reason I ignored the NFL this year.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #463 on: May 27, 2021, 12:52:48 am »
@BassWrangler

MI-5 is also on Brit Box

If you are paying for any of it online, you're doing it wrong...  :whistle:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #464 on: May 27, 2021, 01:19:36 am »

@roamer_1

I can live with that. 8 bucks a month here,4 bucks a month there,is nothing money. Can't buy a full tank of gas for my 4 cylinder Ranger for what it costs me to view all those quality shows each month.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #465 on: May 29, 2021, 04:05:40 pm »
If you're not paying for any of it online, you're a thief.  :nono:

Content creators don't do their jobs for free, you know.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #466 on: May 29, 2021, 04:57:12 pm »

Agree..  OTOH, some of these streaming services allow a number of addtional  users.  Like in our case, Me and kids share four services, and each one of us pays for just one. Just good economics.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #467 on: May 29, 2021, 06:56:45 pm »

Yeah bullcrap.

I am not hurting content creators except indirectly by running a perfectly legal script and ad blocker (that I would run ANYWAY, because you are an idiot if you are online without them).

Even in that, I am screwing YouTube since most of what I watch on Youtube is not able to monetize because of Youtube's draconian policies that don't, by the way, stop Youtube itself from running ads on that content. And every day I get to screw Google is a good, good day.

As for movies and tv shows... Some I watch legitimately on Netflix, which costs me about 75 bucks a year as my part of a family account. The rest I couldn't care less. After years of watching more commercials than shows, and screwing me right over the barrel in the theaters, I figger they owe me.

Not that much of that is worth a damn thing to em anyway - If it weren't for torrents,most of what I want to watch would not even be there. Copyright is supposed to be 7 years. Not perpetual.

And finally, wrt both music and software, I have been rode hard by both of those industries from the 'content creator' POV not by people like me, but by the fat cats at the top.

So, bullshit. I support video and music creators directly, not the fat cats running the show - Them I screw every chance I get. I am providing real money to content creators I watch on youtube by way of voluntary and direct support from my wallet into their hand in spite of Youtube, and without having seen a single ad. If your content is worthy of subscription, I probably support it with cash. Not for the sake of the vid or music itself, which I get free. But because it is worthy, and ONLY when I think it worthy.

Same goes with software. Try to cut a fat hog on me, and I will either hack your ware and use it for nothing, or I won't use it at all. But I have spent hundreds on open source software, which I use primarily, or for those that are in the market with direct and modest EULAs - I will never pay for seats by the month - But if you have a dandy file manager you are selling for a one time thirty dollar license I buy the crap outta that.

So take your preaching somewhere else.

BassWrangler

« Reply #468 on: May 30, 2021, 01:26:06 am »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #469 on: May 30, 2021, 03:14:18 am »
I just started watching "DCI Banks" on Brit Box yesterday,and can't understand why I waited so long to "visit" him again.
Each series is based on a book,so they are parts,not episodes.

I am watching "Friend of the Devil",part 2 tonight,and it is very,very good.

Hard to believe I get Brit Box for only $7.46 per month. A hell of a bargain for what you get.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #470 on: May 30, 2021, 05:06:35 am »
I have been doing quite a bit over at the Peacock... which is NBC's offering... I am just using it for free, but there is some pretty good old stuff on there, and some decent movies.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #471 on: May 30, 2021, 11:39:25 pm »
@sneakypete
@roamer_1
@BassWrangler
@catfish1957
@verga
@jmyrlefuller

As the poor wounded schlubb said to Det. Harry Callahan after he was asked the 'rhetorical' question if he had fired 5 or 6 shots...

"I GOTS TO KNOW!!  I GOTS TO!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Are those REALLY Marisa Tomei's breasts in BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD?

Or, a "Body Double"?     

:thud:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

BassWrangler

« Reply #472 on: May 31, 2021, 12:44:04 am »
@sneakypete
@roamer_1
@BassWrangler
@catfish1957
@verga
@jmyrlefuller

As the poor wounded schlubb said to Det. Harry Callahan after he was asked the 'rhetorical' question if he had fired 5 or 6 shots...

"I GOTS TO KNOW!!  I GOTS TO!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Or, a "Body Double"?     

Great movie (Dirty Harry).

My wife and I watched Jaws this afternoon. Amazon has it in 4K-UHD.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #473 on: May 31, 2021, 01:12:35 am »
Great movie (Dirty Harry).

I feel a binge coming on...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #474 on: May 31, 2021, 01:34:08 am »
@sneakypete
@roamer_1
@BassWrangler
@catfish1957
@verga
@jmyrlefuller

Or, a "Body Double"?     

@DCPatriot

I dunno. Have her phone number and a few thousand you can drop on me? If you do,I can fly to the left coast and do some research for you.