Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 128999 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2021, 07:53:46 pm »
Yes, Counterpart is very good.  My daughter (who watched it pre-pandemic) recommended it to us, and we watched it during the pandemic. (Gives a different impression...)

That was while ago.  Lately, we've been watching British police procedurals.  We started with DCI Banks because it's set in Yorkshire and we miss Yorkshire since our daughter moved from York to Miami, then watched Shetland, set guess where.  Now we're going through Prime Suspect from the early '90's -- mostly because Helen Mirren is a helluva good actress.

@The_Reader_David

It's pretty hard to top anything put out by the BBC. Even if it is something as lame as a documentary about sheep. The sound,the lighting,and everything else about it will be first-class.

You would probably enjoy  MI-5 and Foyle's War,too.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #376 on: March 27, 2021, 01:22:56 am »
Even though I've already watched it a couple of years ago, just started up OZARK once again.

I defy anyone to watch the 1st episode and not find themselves hooked.   happy77

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoAgrmtjKU8
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:30:27 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #377 on: March 27, 2021, 02:37:59 am »
@The_Reader_David
You would probably enjoy  MI-5 and Foyle's War,too.

Already watched Foyle's War a couple of years ago.  I'll remember MI-5 when we run out...
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2021, 02:49:51 am »
Even though I've already watched it a couple of years ago, just started up OZARK once again.

I defy anyone to watch the 1st episode and not find themselves hooked.   happy77

@DCPatriot

I agree. Ozark is good stuff!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2021, 02:51:31 am »
@DCPatriot

Is an excellent show.  Writing isn't up to Breaking Bad standards (what is?).  But riveting drama that you can't stop streaming once  you've started.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2021, 02:51:58 am »
Already watched Foyle's War a couple of years ago.  I'll remember MI-5 when we run out...

@The_Reader_David

The Wire,a series about the cops and the hoods in Baltimore also ranks right up with there with the best stuff ever put out.

Watch one episode,and  you are hooked.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2021, 02:53:57 am »
Is an excellent show.  Writing isn't up to Breaking Bad standards (what is?).  But riveting drama that you can't stop streaming once  you've started.

@catfish1957

Let's be honest,here. Breaking Bad and Shameless established new standards.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2021, 07:59:35 am »
Sorry @corbe and Colonel West but LBJ's great society program is anything but "failed".  In fact, it has work to perfection - exactly as intended.
True dat. It only failed in its stated intent. What it was really meant to do, it accomplished in spades.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2021, 01:51:50 pm »
True dat. It only failed in its stated intent. What it was really meant to do, it accomplished in spades.

@Smokin Joe

Yup,to quote that great humanitarian and former US President LBJ,"The Democratic Party will now own the bleep vote for the next 100 years

You Dims must be SOOOOO proud of that and of him!

@Mods

Your software is going too damn far! It is now editing an historic quote by a US President!

I thought it was the left who wanted to edit history?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:53:36 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #384 on: March 27, 2021, 02:45:50 pm »
@DCPatriot

I never saw that show, but I did like Jason Bateman in Arrested Development.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #385 on: March 27, 2021, 02:47:41 pm »

Boy are you in for a shock.

(Think Hal from Malcolm in the Middle vs. Heisenberg)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 02:49:02 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #386 on: March 27, 2021, 02:58:52 pm »

@Gefn

IMHO, Jason Bateman gave an 'Oscar'-winning performance for his portrayal of "Marty" Byrde

I have watched almost everything of any consequence on Netflix and his acting is far and above anything I've ever seen.

When, after just 5 minutes, you forget there's a script and cameras and crew within feet....that's acting.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #387 on: March 27, 2021, 03:01:25 pm »
@Gefn

IMHO, Jason Bateman gave an 'Oscar'-winning performance for his portrayal of "Marty" Byrde

I have watched almost everything of any consequence on Netflix and his acting is far and above anything I've ever seen.

When, after just 5 minutes, you forget there's a script and cameras and crew within feet....that's acting.

Emmy...   it's TV :cool:

And best acting?  It sure is Emmy worthy, but as much as I dislike Bryan Cranston, he still did Heisenberg better.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 03:02:55 pm by catfish1957 »

BassWrangler

« Reply #388 on: March 27, 2021, 03:18:09 pm »
@Gefn

Yeah, he is a really good actor.

Offline corbe

« Reply #389 on: March 27, 2021, 03:28:15 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Yup,to quote that great humanitarian and former US President LBJ,"The Democratic Party will now own the bleep vote for the next 100 years

You Dims must be SOOOOO proud of that and of him!

@Mods

Your software is going too damn far! It is now editing an historic quote by a US President!

I thought it was the left who wanted to edit history?

I don't believe it is the Mods or the MGMT @sneakypete that 'N' word is verboten EVERYWHERE and can lead to our host yanking our Bandwidth.

THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN' - rory feek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thobAZTU-4
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #390 on: March 27, 2021, 03:40:22 pm »
 :yowsa:
Boy are you in for a shock.

(Think Hal from Malcolm in the Middle vs. Heisenberg)

@catfish1957

I greatly enjoyed Malcolm in the Middle (what would you do,if I sang out of tune....) and the young scientist known as Winnie,but the transformation Cranston made from Hal to Heisenberg may be one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Anybody that never watched Breaking Bad is cheating themselves. Breaking Bad is one of the top shows of all time. Right up there with Lonesome Dove,Game of Thrones,Shameless,and The Wire.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #391 on: March 27, 2021, 03:46:07 pm »
  I don't believe it is the Mods or the MGMT @sneakypete that 'N' word is verboten EVERYWHERE and can lead to our host yanking our Bandwidth.

THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN' - rory feek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thobAZTU-4

@corbe

For making an EXACT quote of a former US President?????

THIS is how history gets rewritten,and future generations won't understand why Hitler and Stalin were "bad guys".

LET THE TRUTH SHINE BRIGHTLY,no matter who it burns! (Damn! I think I may have just came up with a good repeatable quote that is universally relevant! Hooda thunk it?

I would like to thank my mother,my 3rd grade school teacher..........)

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #392 on: March 27, 2021, 06:21:15 pm »
@The_Reader_David

The Wire,a series about the cops and the hoods in Baltimore also ranks right up with there with the best stuff ever put out.

Watch one episode,and  you are hooked.

Hooked until you hit Season 3.  We lost interest with that one.

In a completely different vein, we really liked The Expanse on Amazon Prime.  Science fiction based on the assumptions that we manage to get easy, reliable high-yield fusion power, manage to use it to colonize Mars and the asteroid belt, and that the solar system has been visited by aliens from a galaxy-spanning civilization that isn't around any more.   When the story starts, Earth and the Moon (always called "Luna" to distinguish it from other moons) are controlled by a one-world government grown out of the UN, Mars is independent, with a very American feel to it, albeit with liberty somewhat constrained by everyone having to live in shopping-mall-like cities bored into the rock (they even have a Veterans Administration, called just that, that's about as badly run as the real American version), and the nascent government in the the asteroid belt is regarded as a pack of terrorists by the "inners" (as "belters" call the inhabitants of Earth, Luna and Mars).  The story focuses on a group of refugees (two from Earth, one from Mars, one from the Belt) from an attack on an ice-mining ship who fairly soon end up in control of, and with a salvage claim on, a small Martian warship.  (Okay, that was a spoiler, but I haven't actually given away any of the many plot-lines.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #393 on: March 27, 2021, 06:33:13 pm »
Emmy...   it's TV :cool:

And best acting?  It sure is Emmy worthy, but as much as I dislike Bryan Cranston, he still did Heisenberg better.

@catfish1957

LOL!  I realize it's "Emmy" for the little screen. 

But, IMO, it's much more difficult to maintain same 'character'...intensity, etc., when the finished product is a dozen episodes(hours) per season as opposed to 120 minutes max for a movie.

Justin Bateman's heartrate probably never goes higher than 55, no matter the gravity of the moment.   :laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #394 on: March 27, 2021, 06:38:04 pm »
@catfish1957

Also... I agree with you about "Breaking Bad".  Most excellent series and cast.

One of my favorite character actors in it is Dean Norris...Cranston's brother-in-law.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0606487/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

BassWrangler

« Reply #395 on: March 27, 2021, 11:16:41 pm »
Watching "Endeavor" on Amazon Prime. I think it's a BBC show. It's a classic detective/crime drama. Haven't made it through the first episode yet, but it's very good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #396 on: March 28, 2021, 12:35:27 am »
Watching "Endeavor" on Amazon Prime. I think it's a BBC show. It's a classic detective/crime drama. Haven't made it through the first episode yet, but it's very good.

@BassWrangler

You will find that to be typical of pretty much everything the BBC puts out. The Brits take acting seriously.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2021, 12:39:03 am »

Just make sure you steer clear of anything with the words "Parish" or "Father" in the title. Unless you feel the need  to take a nap,that is. Genuine snooze fests. The obsession with simple country Priests solving crimes seems to be a "British thing".

BassWrangler

« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2021, 12:51:34 am »
@BassWrangler

You will find that to be typical of pretty much everything the BBC puts out. The Brits take acting seriously.

@sneakypete you are right. Plus it's refreshing to watch a show without having a bunch of woke virtue signaling shoved in my face constantly.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2021, 01:01:45 am »
@sneakypete you are right. Plus it's refreshing to watch a show without having a bunch of woke virtue signaling shoved in my face constantly.

@BassWrangler

Maybe I am showing my age,but I am also happy to see casts that look like real people,not all 25 year old models yelling "Hoo YAH!" and kicking 15 attackers into submission without getting a hair out of place or even winded.

The Brits seem to go for the best actors or actresses who are available at the time they are casting,with talent and availability being the prime concerns.