Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 128623 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2021, 09:49:06 pm »
   I often wonder how she knew he had a small d**k   :shrug:

It is a given around here. Big Pickup-little dick. So the girls say.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2021, 01:03:54 am »

One of my favorites is the mustie1 channel. This is a guy that fixes up cars and small engine equipment like mowers and snow blowers. I have a fondness for restoring broken stuff.

Here is his most popular video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gt142R5rXg

@BassWrangler

Anybody that takes along one of those little air tanks to pump up flat tires is an idiot.  You can buy a devise that screws into one of the cylinders on a gasoline engine in place of the spark plug,and then attach a long air hose to it leading back to the flat tires. You can pump up tires with that thing until you run out of gas. Beats the hell out of unhooking your trailer and making multiple trips to a gas station somewhere to refill your little tank.

I have one I made from an old spark plug,somewhere out in my shop. Knock the porcelain center out,tap it to accept a male air fitting,and then just use a slip connector on your air hose on both ends. Hook one end to the male air fitting,and the other end to a connector that pumps air into the flat tire (chemo brain,can't remember the name now),start your engine up,and you are in business.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

BassWrangler

« Reply #352 on: March 24, 2021, 02:59:54 am »
@BassWrangler

Anybody that takes along one of those little air tanks to pump up flat tires is an idiot.  You can buy a devise that screws into one of the cylinders on a gasoline engine in place of the spark plug,and then attach a long air hose to it leading back to the flat tires. You can pump up tires with that thing until you run out of gas. Beats the hell out of unhooking your trailer and making multiple trips to a gas station somewhere to refill your little tank.

I have one I made from an old spark plug,somewhere out in my shop. Knock the porcelain center out,tap it to accept a male air fitting,and then just use a slip connector on your air hose on both ends. Hook one end to the male air fitting,and the other end to a connector that pumps air into the flat tire (chemo brain,can't remember the name now),start your engine up,and you are in business.

That guy is not an idiot. He's probably forgotten more about small engines and cars than you'll ever know.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #353 on: March 24, 2021, 08:41:22 am »
That guy is not an idiot. He's probably forgotten more about small engines and cars than you'll ever know.

@BassWrangler

Fan Boy much?

And how is it that you know so much about my knowledge base?

BassWrangler

« Reply #354 on: March 24, 2021, 02:21:37 pm »
@BassWrangler

Fan Boy much?

And how is it that you know so much about my knowledge base?

About as much as your comment based on the 10 seconds you watched of that video. :chairbang:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2021, 11:08:56 pm »
About as much as your comment based on the 10 seconds you watched of that video. :chairbang:

@BassWrangler

Ok,Master of all things Mechanical,WHICH system for blowing up flat tires on a vehicle that has been sitting for years and is sunken into the soil,the method I suggested,or the one your hero used?

BTW,if you REALLY think that VW had been sitting there for decades and only ONE tire was flat and that it held air when it was pumped up, I know of some ocean-front property in Arizona you may be interested in buying.

Not to mention that he puts that wuss winch on it and pulls it out of that hole and onto his trailer with the wheels rolling. After 10 years or so,the brake shoes on a "yard queen" are usually rusted solid to the drums and it takes a hub puller and a LOT of beating on the drum with a BFH to pull the hubs so you can get it rolling.

Yeah,some brake systems have "floating" brake shoes and you can cut or grind the head off the retainer pin that is on the backing plate,but some others don't.

Sometimes you can get lucky and the brake shoes will pop off the drums after a few smacks with a BFH,but other times you really have to work for it.

Sometimes the quick way out is to use water to soak the ground around it so the stuck wheels slide instead of try to roll,and use a little motor oil or something on the ramps and the floor of the trailer to help the whinch pull it up.
It is always easier to break stuck drums loose at home where you have all your tools,and can do it at your leisure.

The last one I faced one like that was a 55 DeSoto I bought from a guy in Georgia. He had stored in it an old hog pen,and it had sank all the way down to the point it was sitting flat on the ground. I had to jack it up one wheel at a time to pull the wheels off and take them to a local used tire store and have used tires put on them because they were too rotten to hold air.

BTW,since I am too old and stiff to do that stuff anymore,so I am just putting a steel hydraulic lift tailgate on my 06 GMC 2500 Turbo Diesel 4x4. This way I can just back up to one with flat tires or tries sunken into the ground,lower the tailgate,back up until it is under the bumper,and then use the tailgate to lift both wheels off the ground at the same time.

I also have a pretty serious battery-powered impact wrench.

Once I got round wheels and tires on it,I put short sections of 2x10's that I use as ramp extensions on my trailer under the tires before pulling,and used my F-350 diesel and a big chain to just pull it out of the hole. Once I got it on level ground it was easy to pull up on my trailer with the winch I use and the addition of a little oil to "grease the skids" while making the angle of the pull less steep.

I suspect a lot of the stuff I mentioned was done before the cameras started rolling so it would all fit into the time block they had available for broadcast. They may  have even left a flat tire on the rear that they knew would hold air when they pumped it up as an "example of what you have to do to pull one on a trailer".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:25:03 pm by sneakypete »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2021, 12:17:54 am »
Ok,Master of all things Mechanical,WHICH system for blowing up flat tires on a vehicle that has been sitting for years and is sunken into the soil,the method I suggested,or the one your hero used?

I use a gas powered air compressor. I also have a jenny onboard and could use an electric compressor, But that gas compressor has been in my truck since Hector was a pup. Your way is fine and all, but all I gotta do is pull a rip cord and I have 120lbs of air at the ready. And when it goes home, it plugs right into the shop air, so it is always full and ready to go. I could use an air bubble, but this compressor ain't much bigger, and I don't have to go looking for more air ever. So thanks, but i'll avoid gas-washing a cylinder and use the air like I ought.

BTW,if you REALLY think that VW had been sitting there for decades and only ONE tire was flat and that it held air when it was pumped up, I know of some ocean-front property in Arizona you may be interested in buying.

Not to mention that he puts that wuss winch on it and pulls it out of that hole and onto his trailer with the wheels rolling. After 10 years or so,the brake shoes on a "yard queen" are usually rusted solid to the drums and it takes a hub puller and a LOT of beating on the drum with a BFH to pull the hubs so you can get it rolling.

Well that CAN be true, but it ain't anywhere near always true. I have drug a ton of cars and trucks out of the weeds and quite often they're still holding air and still turning fine. Normal would be one of the hubs froze up, but usually breaks free dragging it out to the trailer. And it would be fair to say I bring a spare set of wheels and tires, and it ain't uncommon to have to use a couple of em. But to say they NEVER air up and roll out would not be true.

BassWrangler

« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2021, 12:39:57 am »
@BassWrangler

Yeah,some brake systems have "floating" brake shoes and you can cut or grind the head off the retainer pin that is on the backing plate,but some others don't.

Sometimes you can get lucky and the brake shoes will pop off the drums after a few smacks with a BFH,but other times you really have to work for it.

Sometimes the quick way out is to use water to soak the ground around it so the stuck wheels slide instead of try to roll,and use a little motor oil or something on the ramps and the floor of the trailer to help the whinch pull it up.
It is always easier to break stuck drums loose at home where you have all your tools,and can do it at your leisure.

The last one I faced one like that was a 55 DeSoto I bought from a guy in Georgia. He had stored in it an old hog pen,and it had sank all the way down to the point it was sitting flat on the ground. I had to jack it up one wheel at a time to pull the wheels off and take them to a local used tire store and have used tires put on them because they were too rotten to hold air.

BTW,since I am too old and stiff to do that stuff anymore,so I am just putting a steel hydraulic lift tailgate on my 06 GMC 2500 Turbo Diesel 4x4. This way I can just back up to one with flat tires or tries sunken into the ground,lower the tailgate,back up until it is under the bumper,and then use the tailgate to lift both wheels off the ground at the same time.

I also have a pretty serious battery-powered impact wrench.

Once I got round wheels and tires on it,I put short sections of 2x10's that I use as ramp extensions on my trailer under the tires before pulling,and used my F-350 diesel and a big chain to just pull it out of the hole. Once I got it on level ground it was easy to pull up on my trailer with the winch I use and the addition of a little oil to "grease the skids" while making the angle of the pull less steep.

I suspect a lot of the stuff I mentioned was done before the cameras started rolling so it would all fit into the time block they had available for broadcast. They may  have even left a flat tire on the rear that they knew would hold air when they pumped it up as an "example of what you have to do to pull one on a trailer".

Watch a whole series where he restores one of these cars. Then I'll discuss it with you if you still want.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2021, 12:42:36 am »
Watch a whole series where he restores one of these cars. Then I'll discuss it with you if you still want.

That's right... Ain't NOTHING wrong with ol Mustie1. He gets er done, and that's all that matters. We all have our way and learn from each other - And Ol Mustie can teach a thing or two.  :beer: :seeya:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #359 on: March 25, 2021, 12:44:40 am »
That jump pack he uses on garden tractors is a good example... I am too old school to have thought of that.

I own one now. That's Mustie1's fault.

BassWrangler

« Reply #360 on: March 25, 2021, 01:51:24 am »
That jump pack he uses on garden tractors is a good example... I am too old school to have thought of that.

I own one now. That's Mustie1's fault.

Yeah, those things are awesome. I used one to jump start my son's Civic, and both he and my wife then wanted one. I got them each one of the smaller jumper packs from Amazon - amazing what it can do. Just need to keep it charged and ideally only to 80-90% so the batteries don't degrade.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #361 on: March 25, 2021, 02:06:45 am »
Yeah, those things are awesome. I used one to jump start my son's Civic, and both he and my wife then wanted one. I got them each one of the smaller jumper packs from Amazon - amazing what it can do. Just need to keep it charged and ideally only to 80-90% so the batteries don't degrade.

Yeah that's the only thing with em... But on small engine stuff, man! does that beat all! Makes draggin em out of a year or ten sitting a much simpler thing.

I run heavy to small engine stuff... I was in landscaping and lawn maintenance for quite a long while, and had to learn to fix my own... And it's still a side-hustle I am all rigged up for.

BassWrangler

« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2021, 03:04:20 am »
Yeah that's the only thing with em... But on small engine stuff, man! does that beat all! Makes draggin em out of a year or ten sitting a much simpler thing.

I run heavy to small engine stuff... I was in landscaping and lawn maintenance for quite a long while, and had to learn to fix my own... And it's still a side-hustle I am all rigged up for.

They are starting to come out with LiFePO4 batteries. These are much safer and self-discharge slower, so I'll probably swap to one of those at some point.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2021, 09:40:22 pm »
I use a gas powered air compressor. I also have a jenny onboard and could use an electric compressor, But that gas compressor has been in my truck since Hector was a pup. Your way is fine and all, but all I gotta do is pull a rip cord and I have 120lbs of air at the ready. And when it goes home, it plugs right into the shop air, so it is always full and ready to go. I could use an air bubble, but this compressor ain't much bigger, and I don't have to go looking for more air ever. So thanks, but i'll avoid gas-washing a cylinder and use the air like I ought.

Well that CAN be true, but it ain't anywhere near always true. I have drug a ton of cars and trucks out of the weeds and quite often they're still holding air and still turning fine. Normal would be one of the hubs froze up, but usually breaks free dragging it out to the trailer. And it would be fair to say I bring a spare set of wheels and tires, and it ain't uncommon to have to use a couple of em. But to say they NEVER air up and roll out would not be true.
All I can say is that it is drier here, and seldom have I had drums rusted to the point wheels locked--or bearings, for that matter. I have moved vehicles after 20 years of sitting still and the tires were still up (though they had sunk in from the annual freeze/thaw, and the wheels turned just fine. It is likely different in other climates.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #364 on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:00 pm »
All I can say is that it is drier here, and seldom have I had drums rusted to the point wheels locked--or bearings, for that matter. I have moved vehicles after 20 years of sitting still and the tires were still up (though they had sunk in from the annual freeze/thaw, and the wheels turned just fine. It is likely different in other climates.

Yeah that's right - mostly around here they go flat when they're sinking in and the frost heave gets between the tire and the wheel. You can find that big lump of dirt up in the bead, and in a winter grab, it's frozen solid.

I have had brakes locked up... and hubs locked up. It's a thing, but not a big thing. Maybe one hub or brake locked up... I can't remember ever having all four, or even three locked up.  :shrug:

Maybe you're right and it's the drier air.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #365 on: March 25, 2021, 10:40:53 pm »
I am watching it snow. Welcome to Spring. I mean road construction.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2021, 10:42:28 pm »

@Smokin Joe

It is not unusual for me to walk to my truck in colder weather,and sink so far my feet get wet if I am wearing something like crocks or regular shoes. I have to rotate my parked vehicles a little to keep them from settling and digging holes. And this can happen in just a couple of days once it starts .

Then you get to typical locations where people park cars they no longer need or use,which are usually pastures,and in at least one case in my experience,an old hog pen. Park something in a pasture or hog pen and don't move it for a couple of years,and it's going to sink,the 1950's and 1960's tires will be too rotten to pump up,and the moisture under the car from never getting the sun will make sure the brakes are seized.

But......,you never really know what you are dealing with or what kind of help might be handy until you get there,pay for it,and start to moving it. You can get really lucky if it is a farmer that is selling it  they usually seem to prefer hooking a big-ass tractor to it and pulling it to where you can "load it without tearing up the ground". They can and are usually even willing to use their bucket or rear lift to pick it up and shove it on your trailer for you. NOTHING beats big tires and gears so low the tires don't spin unless it has tracks.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 10:46:05 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2021, 11:08:28 pm »
To get back on topic:.....

I just started watching "Counterpart" again.  Started watching it before chemo,and forgot all about it until  I rediscovered it today

Might as well be new to me because I remember seeing it as it airs now,but can't remember a damn thing about what happens next.

Stars J.K.Simmons,who seems to have been a co-star in every cop teebee show ever produced as well as a bunch of commercials,and I am glad to see him finally getting to break the mould he has been stuck in.

It's a sci-fi mystery involving time/space warps,so be prepared for that when you sign on.

I am watching it for free on Amazon Prime because I can and it is handy for me,but I am sure it is airing on other channels,also.

Use your ROKU or whatever  you have to run a search for "counterpart" and you will find it.

BassWrangler

« Reply #368 on: March 26, 2021, 12:34:39 am »
To get back on topic:.....

I just started watching "Counterpart" again.  Started watching it before chemo,and forgot all about it until  I rediscovered it today

Might as well be new to me because I remember seeing it as it airs now,but can't remember a damn thing about what happens next.

Stars J.K.Simmons,who seems to have been a co-star in every cop teebee show ever produced as well as a bunch of commercials,and I am glad to see him finally getting to break the mould he has been stuck in.

It's a sci-fi mystery involving time/space warps,so be prepared for that when you sign on.

I am watching it for free on Amazon Prime because I can and it is handy for me,but I am sure it is airing on other channels,also.

Use your ROKU or whatever  you have to run a search for "counterpart" and you will find it.

@sneakypete - I just finished watching that. Pretty good!

Offline corbe

« Reply #369 on: March 26, 2021, 03:08:09 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #370 on: March 26, 2021, 03:36:28 pm »

https://youtu.be/qNcznzVC4uk

Sorry @corbe and Colonel West but LBJ's great society program is anything but "failed".  In fact, it has work to perfection - exactly as intended. 

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #371 on: March 26, 2021, 03:43:15 pm »
  That's certainly an informed and secure position to take @Bigun     :beer:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #372 on: March 26, 2021, 04:23:50 pm »
I've only had one brake lock up on me. It was a front drum brake on my 68 Chev 1/2 ton. It wasn't the drum, it was the wheel cylinder. And it happened right after driving up to the cabin, loading up a horse trailer with furniture and was ready to head back. So I pulled the pins that go from the wheel cyl to the shoes and just had to do a hard turn just before I had to brake. Now I've had multiple "No Brakes" brake failures  and they were always cylinders. Once I was riding back with a friend as he pulled his boat with his Dodge van. One of his disc brakes froze up. He just lubed up the rotor with wheel bearing grease and we made it the rest of the way home. He said later those calipers were made of some real funky stuff.

BassWrangler

« Reply #373 on: March 26, 2021, 05:35:58 pm »
I've only had one brake lock up on me. It was a front drum brake on my 68 Chev 1/2 ton. It wasn't the drum, it was the wheel cylinder. And it happened right after driving up to the cabin, loading up a horse trailer with furniture and was ready to head back. So I pulled the pins that go from the wheel cyl to the shoes and just had to do a hard turn just before I had to brake. Now I've had multiple "No Brakes" brake failures  and they were always cylinders. Once I was riding back with a friend as he pulled his boat with his Dodge van. One of his disc brakes froze up. He just lubed up the rotor with wheel bearing grease and we made it the rest of the way home. He said later those calipers were made of some real funky stuff.

I've not had brakes lock up, but I've had some scary experiences with wheel bearings. A friend of mine and I were towing his boat back from Florida, and people kept honking as they went by. We pulled off at the next exit to take a look, and saw smoke coming from one of the trailer wheels. My friend grabbed the tire to see if it had any wobble, and the whole wheel came off in his hand.

Also had a used car that my dad bought, and when we looked into poor braking we discovered they had just capped off the rear wheel brake lines. Caliper/pistons hadn't been used in so long they were rusted together.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #374 on: March 26, 2021, 07:42:09 pm »
Yes, Counterpart is very good.  My daughter (who watched it pre-pandemic) recommended it to us, and we watched it during the pandemic. (Gives a different impression...)

That was while ago.  Lately, we've been watching British police procedurals.  We started with DCI Banks because it's set in Yorkshire and we miss Yorkshire since our daughter moved from York to Miami, then watched Shetland, set guess where.  Now we're going through Prime Suspect from the early '90's -- mostly because Helen Mirren is a helluva good actress.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.