Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 127431 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1525 on: September 17, 2022, 11:14:04 pm »
"The Last Kingdom".

This series is based on the Bernard Cromwell novels,and while it is impossible to beat the written word,it is still pretty damn good!

I am watching this on Netflix,but it is probably available from other video companies also.

@sneakypete

Yes... The Last Kingdom is EXCELLENT!   :beer: 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1526 on: September 18, 2022, 12:35:10 am »
@sneakypete

Yes... The Last Kingdom is EXCELLENT!   :beer:

@DCPatriot

If you think the video series is good,you should get a copy of Cromwell's book list,and start looking for used copies starting with Book 1.

He is on MY list of "automatic buys". If I see one of his books for sale that I haven't read,I automatically buy it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #1527 on: September 18, 2022, 01:20:41 am »
@DCPatriot

If you think the video series is good,you should get a copy of Cromwell's book list,and start looking for used copies starting with Book 1.

He is on MY list of "automatic buys". If I see one of his books for sale that I haven't read,I automatically buy it.

@sneakypete

Oh...the book is always better than the screenplay.   Same concept as "MTV ruined Rock n Roll".   

just kidding.  I'll definitely look into it.

Right now, choking on the lump in my throat by Wahlberg's performance in Father Stu.   Crying my eyes out.    8888crybaby
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1528 on: September 18, 2022, 02:11:21 am »
@sneakypete

Oh...the book is always better than the screenplay.   Same concept as "MTV ruined Rock n Roll".   

just kidding.  I'll definitely look into it.

Right now, choking on the lump in my throat by Wahlberg's performance in Father Stu.   Crying my eyes out.    8888crybaby

@DCPatriot Walhberg never gets the credit he deserves for his acting ability. Being part of a "Boy Band" seems to have biased a bunch of people against him.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:15:45 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1529 on: September 18, 2022, 05:18:14 am »
I liked the new season (5) of Cobra Kia (especially the last five episodes). Not as good as the first season but better than the other seasons (IMHO). I am a sucker for 80s nostalgia.

Narco Saints was pretty intense (subtitles warning)... Korean production (couple of unneeded brief sex/brothel scenes that always gets thrown in drug related movies). Language. Intense is understatement.

Watching a new movie (Confess Fletch) that is a throw back to Film Noir and witty/sarcastic dialog that I like. I am only half way through, but really liking the humor.... It does not seem big budget, but I like witty humor (thus why I loved "The Thin Man" series). Though not on par with "Thin Man" in sight gags to go with the dialog.... I am liking what I see so far.

Youtube alternative trailer linked below...

https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=pb2Pu5EjC1s 

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 05:19:31 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #1530 on: September 18, 2022, 02:13:32 pm »

Narco Saints was pretty intense (subtitles warning)... Korean production (couple of unneeded brief sex/brothel scenes that always gets thrown in drug related movies). Language. Intense is understatement.

@Sighlass

Whoever was responsible for casting in NARCO Saints deserves praise...very surprised in KOREAN action films.  Two thumbs up!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1531 on: September 18, 2022, 04:43:10 pm »
I just got this in an email from PBS.

New Ken Burns tonight…but I don’t think I have the stomach for it.

Posting just in case someone might be interested.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1532 on: September 18, 2022, 04:50:11 pm »
I just got this in an email from PBS.

New Ken Burns tonight…but I don’t think I have the stomach for it.

Posting just in case someone might be interested.

POS Burns takes what should be inert like topics like baseball, and even turns those into tepid wokefests.

America's documentarian, my ass.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1533 on: September 18, 2022, 06:41:19 pm »
I'm effing watching effing Yellowstone right effing now. The mother effing show is about a bunch of effing cowboys who resemble the effing mafia. All the effing characters are basically effing impossible to effing like.
 Did I effing mention that virtually every effing character uses the eff word. An effing lot. All the effing women too seem to use it like taking a drink of effing water.
It seems the eff word is very popular in Montana. Even effing high ranking politicians in formal conversations with other effing people.
Other than those objections the scenery is effing wonderful. I effing think.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:49:29 pm by goatprairie »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1534 on: September 18, 2022, 07:28:14 pm »
I'm effing watching effing Yellowstone right effing now. The mother effing show is about a bunch of effing cowboys who resemble the effing mafia. All the effing characters are basically effing impossible to effing like.
 Did I effing mention that virtually every effing character uses the eff word. An effing lot. All the effing women too seem to use it taking a drink of effing water.
It seem the eff word is very popular in Montana. Even effing high ranking politicians in formal conversations with other effing people.

The eff word IS popular in Montana, though not in front of the womenfolk... Just like about everywhere I've been.

But I have never been able to stomach Yellowstone. It's just soap opera bullcrap wrapped up in boots and belt-buckles. It ain't Cowboy way, not anything like it.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1535 on: September 18, 2022, 07:53:56 pm »
The eff word IS popular in Montana, though not in front of the womenfolk... Just like about everywhere I've been.

But I have never been able to stomach Yellowstone. It's just soap opera bullcrap wrapped up in boots and belt-buckles. It ain't Cowboy way, not anything like it.

I watch it for the scenery. The mountains are breathtaking.
Oh, and the horses. Taylor Sheridan has incredible Quarter horses.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1536 on: September 18, 2022, 08:13:36 pm »

I'm not unfamiliar with the use of the word. I had an old friend who died recently who used it in many forms. One time I bet him that if he could not use it for a month, I'd buy him a steak dinner. He couldn't do that.
Then it was one week. He couldn't do that.
Then it was one day. Nope.
I have other friends and family members who would use the word occasionally but not in as many varieties and permutations as my late friend. But even he would (mostly) never say it around females.
For the most part here in Wisconsin, you will not hear the word  in polite conversation. But you will hear it.
I had heard that the Irish are very fond of the word. But when traveling through Ireland for three weeks some years ago, the wife and I scarcely heard it. Maybe the Irish don't swear in front of foo*in' foreigners.
I get the feeling Hollyweird scriptwriters think everybody in America, even small children, use the word profligately. I don't think Americans of whatever class rank use it nearly as much as the scriptwriters think we do.
At any rate,  the overuse of the word  really takes away from the show.
And you're right overall....it's too much overacting bullcrap. Way too many plot devices that defy belief other than the ridiculous swearing. Like cowboys can't leave the Yellowstone ranch as if  they're in the Mafia or something. Like branding somebody couldn't cause a huge infection problem.
I don't know how it got such great ratings. I have to suspend too much disbelief.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1537 on: September 18, 2022, 08:52:37 pm »

I don't have the stream for that show,but the one free episode?  Not the same Costner of Open Range or bull Durham.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1538 on: September 18, 2022, 08:56:07 pm »
Bing watching 'Cheers'. What a wild ride into the past. It really is an ultra-White show which could never be produced today. It takes some getting used to.

The Sam Malone lothario character comes across as a narcissistic vulgar pervert on the level of Harvey Weinstein.
(a lot of the stuff he does to bed women is criminal and prosecutable) "Hey baby, what do you want for breakfast?"
The Cliff Claven character seems to be schizo psychotic, with no self awareness or grounding in reality.
The 'Norm' character is a bum hobo and a thief, who is constantly stealing beer from the bar and from other customers.
The so called 'pranks' these three people do are not as funny as much as they are felonies.

Most of the episodes are light mindless situational comedies, in line with the likes of "I Love Lucy". Meaning that a situation is caused by stupidity, and then the solution is blown ten times out of control by the same people who caused it. Instead of just facing the problem and dealing with it in an adult logical rational way, there is always some convoluted scheme which inevitably goes out of control and spirals into absurdity.

The series has a fascination with weddings being set up for several episodes, and then suddenly being 'called off' at the last second.

Overall it is just a stupid mindless "will they - won't they" sitcom with no real point. Although it does have a distinct and consistent theme from episode to episode, there is no specific agenda or point. They do the same things over and over (like all the sitcoms of that era did) in the sense that every time someone wins/gains something, somehow they wind up losing it in the end like Al Bundy. They were all like that. Failure or Losses after a gain seems to have been a very popular theme in the 80s. Example, "I just won the lottery! Oh crap, I lost the ticket!" - "I just got a big raise! Oh no, I just got fired!" and on and on like that. Every win leads to an equal or greater loss.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1539 on: September 18, 2022, 09:22:13 pm »
I watch it for the scenery. The mountains are breathtaking.
Oh, and the horses. Taylor Sheridan has incredible Quarter horses.

:shrug:

That's  all right in my back yard - Not that exactly (I think that's filmed down Bozeman way), but that all the same...

And I am more an Appy kinda guy (odd that, in the land of the Appaloosa)...  happy77  :beer:

It's just not real, or right.

I am fond of Justified, mostly because it portrays the seedy side of rural America pretty accurately - if awfully exaggerated.

I am fond of Heartland because even though it is a soapy girly show, it is accurate to what ranch life is.

But the one that does it for me is Longmire. That one rings like a bell.

Yellowstone... nothin.  it is unwatchable :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1540 on: September 18, 2022, 09:26:52 pm »
I don't have the stream for that show,but the one free episode?  Not the same Costner of Open Range or bull Durham.

Lonesome Dove feels like home.  :beer:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1541 on: September 18, 2022, 09:43:22 pm »
I'm not unfamiliar with the use of the word. I had an old friend who died recently who used it in many forms. One time I bet him that if he could not use it for a month, I'd buy him a steak dinner. He couldn't do that.
Then it was one week. He couldn't do that.
Then it was one day. Nope.
I have other friends and family members who would use the word occasionally but not in as many varieties and permutations as my late friend. But even he would (mostly) never say it around females.
For the most part here in Wisconsin, you will not hear the word  in polite conversation. But you will hear it.

I cuss like the proverbial muleskinner in rough company - And for the record I have been a muleskinner... both teams and on lead.

You'll find the Rocky Mountain West to be far more libertarian than the midwest - With the possible exception of Yoopers. That independence leads to a tolerance that is unheard of elsewhere. Typical rural manners have always been nearly optional out here... Nowhere near like the genteel South and the Bible belt.

I pretty much quit worrying over it when I found that what was cussin depended on where you were - Kinda depending upon the predilections of some regional blue-haired old ladies committee  :shrug:

Your example of England/Ireland/Scotland/Wales is a good one. My experience with true irishmen has been the opposite of yours - And one to which I owe a certain affinity... Irish and Scots blend right in up here (mostly Norwegians), and the ones I know cuss a blue streak if they're of a mind to. Same with Aussies, whom I also have met somewhat.

But with that you need to know what they consider cussing - Sh*t or f*** are less an offense than 'bloody' for some reason. Like I said, what is cussin is different for different folks.

And you're right overall....it's too much overacting bullcrap. Way too many plot devices that defy belief other than the ridiculous swearing. Like cowboys can't leave the Yellowstone ranch as if  they're in the Mafia or something. Like branding somebody couldn't cause a huge infection problem.
I don't know how it got such great ratings. I have to suspend too much disbelief.

That's right.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1542 on: September 18, 2022, 09:47:33 pm »

I watched it free - Though I don't remember where... Folks told me to keep watching it and that I'd warm up to it... Nope. First three episodes... Then maybe the first five, hit and miss.

Bleah. Could not watch it. So maybe my critique is fairly uninformed - But I bet it will stay that way.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1543 on: September 18, 2022, 09:59:58 pm »
I watched it free - Though I don't remember where... Folks told me to keep watching it and that I'd warm up to it... Nope. First three episodes... Then maybe the first five, hit and miss.

Bleah. Could not watch it. So maybe my critique is fairly uninformed - But I bet it will stay that way.
To top everything off, (spoiler alert) the scriptwriters decided to make Kayce's wife a college professor of history, and naturally they have an episode where she lectures a racist white male student about atrocities committed by Columbus after the student makes a snide remark when she enters the classroom.
So the show's creators decided that not only were they going to present a series where every major character is exceptionally unlikable and foulmouthed, they were going to educate the viewing audience about the horrors of European settlement. Somehow, I doubt they'll have an episode where a student in the professor's class responds to her one-sided lectures by relating all the terrible things Indians did to each other as well as white settlers. But I could be wrong....we'll see...my wife really likes the show.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1544 on: September 18, 2022, 10:20:45 pm »
To top everything off, (spoiler alert) the scriptwriters decided to make Kayce's wife a college professor of history, and naturally they have an episode where she lectures a racist white male student about atrocities committed by Columbus after the student makes a snide remark when she enters the classroom.
So the show's creators decided that not only were they going to present a series where every major character is exceptionally unlikable and foulmouthed, they were going to educate the viewing audience about the horrors of European settlement. Somehow, I doubt they'll have an episode where a student in the professor's class responds to her one-sided lectures by relating all the terrible things Indians did to each other as well as white settlers. But I could be wrong....we'll see...my wife really likes the show.

It’s a beautifully filmed, horribly written show.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1545 on: September 18, 2022, 10:23:32 pm »

Again, not the Cowboy way. Up in here, and everywhere I know, cowboys and injuns buried the hatchet long ago - Natives are a fixture in the rural west, and while hillbillies are more alike/akin to natives than the farms and ranches, don't count them cowboys out of all that. By and large the natives I know are redneck as anyone.

Kinda the same way I hear in the desert southwest - Mexicans and rural whites are about the same thing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1546 on: September 18, 2022, 10:24:04 pm »
 Did I effing mention that virtually every effing character uses the eff word. An effing lot. All the effing women too seem to use it taking a drink of effing water.
It seem the eff word is very popular in Montana. Even effing high ranking politicians in formal conversations with other effing people.

@goatprairie

I tried to watch it,but gave up after maybe 3 episodes. It seemed to ME like nothing more than a soap opera set in the rural west.

"Dallas" with the actors dressed in cowboy costumes instead of silk suits.

Really liked 1881,though.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1547 on: September 18, 2022, 10:41:10 pm »
:shrug:

That's  all right in my back yard - Not that exactly (I think that's filmed down Bozeman way), but that all the same...

And I am more an Appy kinda guy (odd that, in the land of the Appaloosa)...  happy77  :beer:

It's just not real, or right.

I am fond of Justified, mostly because it portrays the seedy side of rural America pretty accurately - if awfully exaggerated.

I am fond of Heartland because even though it is a soapy girly show, it is accurate to what ranch life is.

But the one that does it for me is Longmire. That one rings like a bell.

Yellowstone... nothin.  it is unwatchable :shrug:
The wife and I liked justified. All the actors were excellent especially Walton Goggins. And they didn't try to make the bad guys sympathetic or run down the U.S.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1548 on: September 18, 2022, 10:45:10 pm »
It’s a beautifully filmed, horribly written show.
That's an excellent summary of that show so far. Maybe it will improve. I get restless watching it and am trying hard not to irritate the wife by making snarky remarks about some of the ridiculous plot devices.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1549 on: September 18, 2022, 11:42:52 pm »
The wife and I liked justified. All the actors were excellent especially Walton Goggins. And they didn't try to make the bad guys sympathetic or run down the U.S.

I wish I could get at it easy - I am ripe to watch it again... I reckon I could sign up for Hulu for a month to get it out of my system (that's where it is right now) But I strictly refuse to support hollywood, so if I want to see it, I have to go watch it overseas or on some hacker site.