Author Topic: Trump hints possibility of less-restrictive approach in coronavirus fight  (Read 485 times)

Offline EdinVA

"We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself," the president tweeted in caps lock, before announcing the reassessment.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-signals-possibility-of-less-restrictive-approach-in-coronavirus-fight

Offline cato potatoe

This is encouraging, although much of the economic strangulation is coming from the state and local (mainly leftist) politicians.  Are they going to accuse him of being pro-virus if he calls for a balanced approach? 

Offline skeeter

This is encouraging, although much of the economic strangulation is coming from the state and local (mainly leftist) politicians.  Are they going to accuse him of being pro-virus if he calls for a balanced approach?

We're gonna see a reprise of the nightly body count of the Bush WOT era. Doesn't matter, this lunacy needs to end, at least at the national level.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
We're gonna see a reprise of the nightly body count of the Bush WOT era. Doesn't matter, this lunacy needs to end, at least at the national level.

That is what happens when the extreme left of center MSM controls the narrative.  There is no "non-violent" cure. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

I mentioned elsewhere that this is going to put Trump at odds with state and local officials.  In Pennsylvania, for example, the governor has placed the hardest hit counties on lockdown (except for such things as grocery shopping and pharmacy visits, plus we prisoners are allowed outdoors for exercise).  The governor has said the state police and local law enforcement will enforce the lockdown.  So who are we people in the affected counties supposed to obey -- the president or our governor?  Might be a real test of state rights vs. federal.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I mentioned elsewhere that this is going to put Trump at odds with state and local officials.  In Pennsylvania, for example, the governor has placed the hardest hit counties on lockdown (except for such things as grocery shopping and pharmacy visits, plus we prisoners are allowed outdoors for exercise).  The governor has said the state police and local law enforcement will enforce the lockdown.  So who are we people in the affected counties supposed to obey -- the president or our governor?  Might be a real test of state rights vs. federal.

Obey? Obeying a request, yes, but according to the first amendment right -- right to assemble ... Congress can pass no law restricting the right to assemble.  I get why, but the right under the Constitution does exist -- how are they going to enforce the lockdown?  Fines?  Incarceration?  That's just a riot waiting to happen and I would think could later be challenged in the courts.   

What is happening under the 'suggestion' of the President, WHO, and CDC is social distancing, etc., governors are making their own requests and just today I went to a business ... and the city has actually passed "ordinances" that businesses are only allowed to see people upon appointment -- no one is allowed to just walk into a business!!  What??  So there are actually ordinances to close beaches, restaurants, etc.??  Laws are being implemented at the city and state level infringing upon our first amendment rights.  If each city, each state implements these laws ... then there is no recourse! 

On the other hand; if I lived in a area like NY that has an extremely high number of cases, because of my age and health, I'd have no problem self-isolating.  I to a degree am doing it now and we only have about 30 cases in the area.

I understand why this is happening ... but something I think we all really need to think about.  OR am I over analyzing the situation?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Obey? Obeying a request, yes, but according to the first amendment right -- right to assemble ... Congress can pass no law restricting the right to assemble.  I get why, but the right under the Constitution does exist -- how are they going to enforce the lockdown?  Fines?  Incarceration?  That's just a riot waiting to happen and I would think could later be challenged in the courts.   

What is happening under the 'suggestion' of the President, WHO, and CDC is social distancing, etc., governors are making their own requests and just today I went to a business ... and the city has actually passed "ordinances" that businesses are only allowed to see people upon appointment -- no one is allowed to just walk into a business!!  What??  So there are actually ordinances to close beaches, restaurants, etc.??  Laws are being implemented at the city and state level infringing upon our first amendment rights.  If each city, each state implements these laws ... then there is no recourse! 

On the other hand; if I lived in a area like NY that has an extremely high number of cases, because of my age and health, I'd have no problem self-isolating.  I to a degree am doing it now and we only have about 30 cases in the area.

I understand why this is happening ... but something I think we all really need to think about.  OR am I over analyzing the situation?

Here is how crazy it is where I live in Huntington Beach, CA. You can't find water in stores, yes I know tap water is perfectly safe to drink but tastes like crap, so like many I go to a water store and buy it by the gallon but a large store I frequent has closed with the explanation that "We remain CLOSED due to the strong advisory to stay away from large crowds in order to prevent unnecessary risk of spreading the virus. " I find this odd because prior to this they were not allowing more than one customer in at a time and they filled the customers bottles to stop waste because even they had a run on water. This has gotten bizarre and totally overblown, to my mind, to exert control over the population which politicians obviously believe are incapable of making good decisions without them.