Poll

For how long do you expect to be socially isolated?

< 2 Weeks
4 (8%)
2 to 4 Weeks
14 (28%)
1 to 3 Months
12 (24%)
3 to 6 Months
2 (4%)
> 6 Months
1 (2%)
Doesn't apply, I'm already a bit of a hermit
10 (20%)
There's social isolation going on?  (The obligatory "Weed" and/or "Booze" option)
3 (6%)
ZERO!  I provide an "Essential Service."
4 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: March 29, 2020, 07:42:32 pm

Author Topic: For How Long Do You Expect To Be "Socially Isolated?"  (Read 4277 times)

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: For How Long Do You Expect To Be "Socially Isolated?"
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 03:36:10 pm »
It was too long for this poor man.

Man jumps to his death from luxury Manhattan apartment

“You have to be mentally strong to take on isolation...,” the woman added.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/man-jumps-to-his-death-from-luxury-manhattan-apartment/

There's got to be more to this than the isolation thing. Some are cut off from others because they want to be. Others because they have to be due to health issues. I didn't choose it. I don't want it. But I've learned to live in isolation for decades. When times are normal (non pandemic), I get sad when I see others getting to live normal lives, but I never, ever considered ending my life. BTW, full disclosure -- I'm not 100% alone because I always have a dog or two in my life.

Anyway, I don't believe just being temporarily isolated would cause someone to commit suicide. There's more to this story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, folks. Got extra time on your hands these days and don't like being alone? This is a great time to rescue an animal. The shelters are filling up and are in desperate need of homes for the critters. If adoption is too much of a commitment, fostering is an option. Please consider it, and please ask those in your sphere of influence to consider it as well.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 04:04:49 pm »
It might be like the Great Depression,  people jump to death because of some sort of financial hardship.

That said, people kill themselves every day.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 04:08:12 pm »
It might be like the Great Depression,  people jump to death because of some sort of financial hardship.

That said, people kill themselves every day.
He was 64.  Maybe he didn't want to go back to work.  Maybe he felt sick and didn't want to be a burden, or die gasping for breath because no resperators were available.  Prayers

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2020, 04:41:04 pm »
He was 64.  Maybe he didn't want to go back to work.  Maybe he felt sick and didn't want to be a burden, or die gasping for breath because no resperators were available.  Prayers

Maybe it was the Dream Police.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2020, 05:01:55 pm »
Maybe it was the Dream Police.

I think this is the wrong thread/audience for levity, otherwise I would have already spammed it with easy jokes.  If it worked for you and you brightened the spirit of a fellow Briefer, I applaud your courage and sense of timing.  Stay healthy @Hoodat and remember it is better to have joked and failed than to never have joked at all.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2020, 05:11:54 pm »
I think this is the wrong thread/audience for levity, otherwise I would have already spammed it with easy jokes.  If it worked for you and you brightened the spirit of a fellow Briefer, I applaud your courage and sense of timing.  Stay healthy @Hoodat and remember it is better to have joked and failed than to never have joked at all.

I'm fine with levity for this Topic. :patriot:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 05:55:06 pm »
I'm fine with levity for this Topic. :patriot:
Fair enough  :laugh:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 08:03:01 pm »
Nobody knows... not me, not you... If folks would just isolate now (and I mean everyone not essential) then in 3 weeks we can be back to normal.

Exactly. The more people comply, the more quickly it will end.  The more stubborn people are in rejecting the advice of the scientific and medical community and putting the rest of us at risk, the longer the restrictions will be needed.

So one month if people are smart.  Far longer if people lack wisdom.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 08:08:14 pm »
I'm not entirely self-isolated and this is causing my family and friends fits.  They are all self-isolated, but I keep going to the supermarket and on walks in the neighborhood when the weather is decent.  Presumably, walks outside are still allowed so long as one keeps a distance from other people  But the governor is now making noise about forcing people to stay inside with a few exceptions.  Don't know if a stroll around the neighborhood would be exempted. 

I'm at high risk  -- age 67, diabetes and a history of heart disease.  But I believe being on lockdown will kill me faster than this virus.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 08:14:26 pm »
I'm not entirely self-isolated and this is causing my family and friends fits.  They are all self-isolated, but I keep going to the supermarket and on walks in the neighborhood when the weather is decent.  Presumably, walks outside are still allowed so long as one keeps a distance from other people  But the governor is now making noise about forcing people to stay inside with a few exceptions.  Don't know if a stroll around the neighborhood would be exempted. 

I'm at high risk  -- age 67, diabetes and a history of heart disease.  But I believe being on lockdown will kill me faster than this virus.

Good on ya...  :beer:

The problem with the frog is that he never realizes it's boiling...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 08:31:30 pm »

Gov. Dewine has said (correctly) that getting outside is important for mental health.  Telling people to stay inside is just stupid.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 08:56:41 pm »
Gov. Dewine has said (correctly) that getting outside is important for mental health.  Telling people to stay inside is just stupid.

Well, the Goobernor just issued the order and going out for exercise is ok.  I guess his one and only brain cell is working today.  LOL

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 09:21:20 pm »
I'm loving it, personally.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2020, 09:31:36 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2020, 09:45:30 pm »
Well, the Goobernor just issued the order and going out for exercise is ok.  I guess his one and only brain cell is working today.  LOL

LOL! This is a very special day!  wink777

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 12:43:54 am »
With any luck at all,for the rest of my life.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2020, 12:45:55 am »
BTW, full disclosure -- I'm not 100% alone because I always have a dog or two in my life.

Anyway, I don't believe just being temporarily isolated would cause someone to commit suicide. There's more to this story.

@AllThatJazzZ

You couldn't ask for finer companions.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2020, 02:12:40 am »

Yep...a few years behind ya, but I have the same health issues.  We've sheltered in as much as we're going too ... they've closed the libraries, pools, sporting events, concert halls, movie theaters, beaches ... I'd go crazy if I couldn't walk my neighborhood, especially the parks.  Besides ... I need to walk for heart health!  I have a treadmill ... but it just not the same.  I need the change of scenery, sunshine and fresh air.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2020, 04:16:21 am »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 04:17:14 am »
There's got to be more to this than the isolation thing. Some are cut off from others because they want to be. Others because they have to be due to health issues. I didn't choose it. I don't want it. But I've learned to live in isolation for decades. When times are normal (non pandemic), I get sad when I see others getting to live normal lives, but I never, ever considered ending my life. BTW, full disclosure -- I'm not 100% alone because I always have a dog or two in my life.

BTW, folks. Got extra time on your hands these days and don't like being alone? This is a great time to rescue an animal. The shelters are filling up and are in desperate need of homes for the critters. If adoption is too much of a commitment, fostering is an option. Please consider it, and please ask those in your sphere of influence to consider it as well.
Don't forget the Markets have tanked, hard. It supposedly rained stockbrokers in '29...or it might have involved  the loss of distant loved ones with no way to be there. Many motivations, few specifics.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-