Author Topic: It's Time For Networks to Stop Televising Trump's Daily Briefings  (Read 411 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31822319/coronavirus-donald-trump-dr-fauci-press-briefing/

They are only vehicles for dangerous disinformation and for the president*’s re-election campaign.
By Charles P. Pierce   Mar 20, 2020

This was certainly a moment on Friday, and, no, I’m not talking about how El Caudillo del Mar-a-Lago threw a multi-megaton hissy at Peter Alexander of NBC News, although that should disqualify him from ever appearing in polite society ever again, let alone representing the United States in any capacity except as referee in a celebrity mud-wrestling derby. I meant the lead up to that moment, when the president* decided to argue with Dr. Anthony Fauci about the use of chloroquine to combat the coronavirus.

Fauci: That evidence is anecdotal evidence. As the president mentioned yesterday, we are trying to strike a balance between making something that has potential of an effect available, at the same time we do it under protocol that would give us the information to determine if it is truly saving effective. But the information is anecdotal, it was not done in a clinical trial, so we cannot make a definitive statement about it.

Trump: Without saying too much, I am probably more of a fan of that than may be than anybody. But I am a big fan. We will see what happens. We understand what the doctor says is 100% correct, certainly. But I have seen things that are impressive. We will know soon. We will see. Including safety. But when you talk about safely, this has been prescribed for many years for people to combat malaria, which was a big problem. It is very effective. It is a strong drug. We will see...look, it may work, it may not work. I agree with the doctor. It may not work. But I feel good about it. That is all it is, just a feeling. You know, I am a smart guy. I feel good about it. We will see soon enough. We have big samples of people, if you look at the people. There are people in big trouble. This is not a drug that obviously I think I can speak for a lot of, from a lot of experience going because it has been out there for over 20 years. So it is not a drug that you have a huge amount of danger with. It is not a brand-new drug just created that may have a monumental effect, like kill you. We will know very soon. The FDA is working hard to get out. Right now in terms of malaria, if you want that you can get a prescription. By the way, it is very effective. It works. I have a feeling—I am not being optimistic or pessimistic. I think we should give it a try. There has been some interesting things that are happening. Some very good things. Let's see what happens. We have nothing to lose. You know that expression? What the hell do you have to lose?

more at link

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1241134142991073280.html

Profile picture
Jay Rosen @jayrosen_nyu

11 hours ago, 15 tweets, 3 min read

It is believed by many people who follow me that tougher, more confrontational questions — and more determined follow-ups — are the answer to press briefings on the virus that allow Trump to elude accountability.

I disagree. It's is one of my least popular conclusions. THREAD 1/

In my view, the lens through which we should interpret the briefings is how to increase the supply and circulation of good information about the virus and what has to be done, and decrease the spread of misinformation, strategic distraction, magical thinking, etc. 2/

From this POV, a key point to begin at is that Trump at the podium and on TV is the single most potent force for misinforming Americans about the dangers of the virus and what needs to be done now. Yet he is also the star and central figure in the briefings. See the problem? 3/

It is very widely believed — among people who talk to me on this website, but also among journalists who report on politics — that tough questions and determined follow-ups can prevent the president from using the briefings to inject falsehoods into national discourse. 4/

From their POV he can be "made" to answer the question by determined journalists who will not back down. It just takes balls! And some solidarity. If he evades or dissembles, follow up. If the follow up fails, the next reporter has to insist. Keep insisting until he answers! 5/

To me this a fantasy. A malignant narcissist greets even the slightest challenge as a personal attack and evidence of the challenger's bad character. And Trump is wired differently from me and you in that he lacks the gene for being shamed into good conduct. On top of that... 6/

...he generates momentum by drawing censure and criticism from those whom his supporters love to despise. The White House press and the show hosts back at the studio sit atop the list of hate objects for soldiers in the Trump movement. All the incentives align toward attack. 7/

But here's the bigger problem. If you try to "grill" him about a false statement his reply will typically introduce three new falsehoods without responding one bit to your original. Now you have four things you need to "grill" him about, your time is up, and he's moved on. 8/

Another way to put it: the questions proceed in linear way, but when they are put to Trump the lying and disinformation increase exponentially. And remember, our aim is to increase the supply of reliable information and slow the spread of falsehood and strategic distraction. 9/

When I point this out to believers in tough questions and determined follow-ups, they often revert to a logic I grasp, but do not share. They say that provoking a confrontation with Trump will lead to a meltdown or rage fit that will finally show Americans who this guy is. 10/

This is another fantasy, a longing for a Joseph Welch moment. Remember him? He was the lawyer who in American mythology is said to have destroyed Joe McCarthy in 1954 with the famous lines, "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?" 11/

There is no Joseph Welch in the press corps who is going to "destroy" Trump. And anyway that is not a legitimate aim for journalists who report on him. Accountability IS a legitimate aim, but only a politician with a sense of shame can be held accountable by tough questions. 12/

Also: It's become clear to me and many others that the daily briefings on the virus are morphing into substitutes for the rallies Trump cannot hold under social distancing rules. Now imagine if at one of those rallies there was a Q & A session with reporters in the media pen. 13/

Picturing that? Because better than any argument I can construct, such an image explains why in my new post I recommend withdrawal from the briefing room, suspension of normal relations with the Trump government, and a switch to an emergency setting.
Today we are switching our coverage of Donald Trump to an emergency setting - PressThink
"This means our journalism will work in a different way, as we try to prevent the President from misinforming you through us."
https://pressthink.org/2020/03/today-we-switch-our-coverage-of-donald-trump-to-an-emergency-setting/
14/

Finally, I have to observe... People who think that confronting Donald Trump more forcefully with facts he cannot deny will produce some kind of accountability must never have lived with a malignant narcissist.

It does not work. 15/ END

You know, he’s a smart guy who has feelings so what do you have to lose?

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Offline goatprairie

Re: It's Time For Networks to Stop Televising Trump's Daily Briefings
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 01:55:51 pm »
It's for sure all presidents/admins make errors in these situations and will very probably make more.
Nevertheless, these leftist scribblers never fail to accuse Pubbie presidents of misdeeds they would never accuse Democrat prezzies of making.
Just forget whether this idiot is justified in criticizing Trump for mistakes he, Trump, made.
For one thing, this dope is not a medical expert, but that does not mean he can't criticize Trump or any other pol for possible mistakes.
It's just that he's so blinded by Trump hatred he would hammer anything Trump did whether Trump did it on the advice of Obama/Clinton officials.
He probably had his critique printed before Trump uttered a word.....the net result: ORANGE MAN BAD!!!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 02:12:38 pm »
Hard to ascribe credibility to anyone who refers to the president of the United States as "El Caudillo del Mar-a-Lago" in an allegedly serious essay.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 02:15:02 pm »
I strongly disagree.  I believe that the President and his "team" of experts should brief the public with updates just as they have been, but keep the damn press out of the room!!!  They are doing more harm than good -- no surprise there.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 02:18:02 pm »
Hard to ascribe credibility to anyone who refers to the president of the United States as "El Caudillo del Mar-a-Lago" in an allegedly serious essay.
I've read a number of Pierce's articles in the past. He is just a typical lib scribbler who can't wait for The Green New Deal and other marvels of modern leftism to fundamentally transform the country.
I'll bet you could examine all his articles he wrote during the Obama admin and not find one criticism of Dear Leader.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 05:26:44 pm »
Go for it, MSM! It's not like the MSM haven't been substantially bypassed already, and this will just make those streams of bypass more robust and numerous.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 05:28:36 pm »
Another book burner weighs in.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 06:53:51 pm »

@mountaineer

Kinda gave himself/herself/multiple choice away with the opening remarks,didn't it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 06:55:00 pm »
I've read a number of Pierce's articles in the past. He is just a typical lib scribbler who can't wait for The Green New Deal and other marvels of modern leftism to fundamentally transform the country.
I'll bet you could examine all his articles he wrote during the Obama admin and not find one criticism of Dear Leader.

@goatprairie

Of course not. That would be racist and homophobic,and all dat icky stuff.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 08:10:13 pm »

Not to mention describing Trump's putting a MSM troll in his place as a "multi-megaton hissy".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 12:46:28 am »
I have once-ler on permanent ignore and I don't read the source articles he posts.

But from the replies, I can tell this one wasn't worth a spit...!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 02:08:58 am »
I have once-ler on permanent ignore and I don't read the source articles he posts.

But from the replies, I can tell this one wasn't worth a spit...!

I don't blame you for being ascared of words, but you did read it. Just admit it.