Author Topic: Judy’s story - the heroism of a Canadian who smuggled Jews out of Syria (Non-WWII)  (Read 758 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Judy’s story - the heroism of a Canadian who smuggled Jews out of Syria
By BRADLEY MARTIN   MARCH 19, 2020 10:57

Judy Feld Carr: I was a musicologist; I didn’t know anything about Syria
(photo credit: JEWISH WOMEN'S ARCHIVE)

There is one thing you have to understand as all this was taking place,” says Judy Feld Carr as she began to relay her extraordinary tale. “I cannot stress enough the secrecy of it all.”

Born in the city of Montreal, Canada, Judy would go on to lead a clandestine operation to smuggle more than 3,000 Jews out of Syria between 1975 and 2000. Yet there would be nothing in her early life to suggest that she would carry out an international human rescue mission straight out of the pages of a Tom Clancy novel. Judy was raised in the small mining town of Sudbury, nestled in the frozen wilderness of northern Ontario, where her Russian Jewish father made his living as a fur trader.

“We would live in the bush for half the year, where I learned a lot about myself. My father was the president of the Sudbury Jewish community and I was the only Jew in a Catholic elementary school,” says Judy, who was frequently the target of antisemitic attacks from fellow classmates. Judy recounted an incident in second grade when a kid accused her of killing Jesus and threw a rock at her face, smashing her bottom teeth.

See more at:  https://www.jpost.com/Jerusalem-Report/Judys-story-the-heroism-of-a-Canadian-who-smuggled-Jews-out-of-Syria-620693

Pretty interesting, most of these stories are about World War II, this is actually about 1975-2000.