Author Topic: Economists warn jobless claims could top 1.5 million by next week  (Read 473 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Economists warn jobless claims could top 1.5 million by next week
By J. Edward Moreno - 03/19/20 08:37 PM EDT

U.S. unemployment claims could reach a record 1.5 million by next week as service industry workers are forced to stay home amid the coronavirus outbreak, economists warned Thursday.

The U.S. Labor Department reported that 281,000 Americans filed for unemployment benefits the week of March 14 — a 70,000 jump from the week before, and 60,000 claims more than economists had expected.

"State filings offices for Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut report claims filings this week are running six to 14 times higher than the same week last year," Conrad DeQuadros, senior economic advisor at Brean Capital in New York, told Reuters.

"A quarter of all claims filings are in two states, New York and California. Given the preliminary reports for a few states, next Thursday's unemployment claims report could show an initial claims reading north of 1.5 million,” he added.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/488566-economists-warn-jobless-claims-could-top-15-million-by-next-week
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Economists warn jobless claims could top 1.5 million by next week
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 02:46:02 am »
Cripes what brilliant folks! I could have told them it was gonna happen the second the Governors started telling people to stay home and ordering businesses to close up! Seems like every time I turn around I am getting another email from some company telling me about how they are working to keep me safe by cutting the hours I can shop with them. So yeah businesses cutting hours need less people too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 02:49:23 am »
Cripes what brilliant folks! I could have told them it was gonna happen the second the Governors started telling people to stay home and ordering businesses to close up! Seems like every time I turn around I am getting another email from some company telling me about how they are working to keep me safe by cutting the hours I can shop with them. So yeah businesses cutting hours need less people too.

Not all of those who suffer as a consequence of this epidemic will have the virus. In fact the great majority won’t.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 08:29:57 am »
Orders of magnitude beyond the number seriously ill or dying.

888mouth insanity.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis