Author Topic: 'Landslide' defeat: Second quarter recession will doom Trump, warns forecaster whose model always wo  (Read 1019 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
--------------------------------
So Trump, who cannot utter a coherent sentence, has no core principles
and is dealing w/a catastrophic event that is wrecking the world economy,
will do just swell come November?????
Landslide is likely an understatement.
A question or so:

Did you lead people or  serve in our military, reach middle-upper management in business, run for public office?

I make a distinction between "walking the walk," (action) vs. "talking the talk." (rhetoric)

To use a T. Roosevelt and Nixon phrase, Trump is "In the Arena," not some hypothetical make believe.

To my mind, TDS is "Nattering Naabobs of Negatism"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Models don't work with situations that are utterly unique...as is this one.
I used to build "models" or spreadsheets, or algorythms, etc.

From petroleum-reservoir  engineering, to financial planning, tax planning, real estate, etc.

No doubt Rene' Descartes lay awake at night, building complex calculations, models, etc.

Where philosophy meets math.

But any decent practitioner knows, gabage in, garbage out. After the first days of war, it is the "Fog of War" stage

The experts make sense of wild variables, and start crafting good plans.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mrclose

@DCPatriot

Thought that this might interest you?

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

It Ain’t What You Don’t Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It’s What You Know for Sure That Just Ain’t So

Mark Twain? Josh Billings? Artemus Ward? Kin Hubbard? Will Rogers? Anonymous?

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/11/18/know-trouble/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Smokin Joe....
That's how Obama got elected, with the media convincing everyone how bad they'd had it for the past 8 years, even though the panic in the markets in 2008 was launched by none other than Chuck Schumer, and that SOB smiled when he did it.

Back then, I was a Democrat turned Republican.  I woke up and thought, Obama, Reid and Pelosi, none of them espouse my beliefs.  I had always been fiscally conservative, but I was raised in a union and staunch Dems household.

And it took me a long time to agree with conservatives who told me, the nomination by the Dems in June, 2008 of Barack Obama to be the Dem candidate is what triggered the market downturn.  I think everyone knew that whoever was the Dem candidate was going to be the next POTUS.  I thought that before Obama was selected.  However, with his selection, I think it triggered massive fear.  Uncertainty is the absolute worst for the market, and in being honest, no one knew what Obama would do, but his rhetoric was not encouraging in the months leading up to June, 2008.

In contrast, Trump has been a strong POTUS, not afraid to lead.  He is still exactly what America needs.  I believe he will come to the common sense solution that everything shutdown is not in the best interest of the country.  He bought time, but this frozen nation status ends in 2-3 weeks.  It has bought the medical community time to gear up, and it has spread the flow of critically ill to the hospitals.  And with warm temps around the corner, I am hoping like Trump this virus dies out somewhat.

Liz Wheeler listed the X number of reasons why the outbreak in the USA would NOT be like Italy.  I would imagine it is on Youtube.  Listen to her.  She is the sharpest person on TV/cable for news.  She is on One America News Network OAN, and she is in a league all her own.

Trump wins by a landslide in November.  More now than ever.  He is perhaps the greatest POTUS this country ever had!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:11:00 pm by jafo2010 »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
@DCPatriot

Thought that this might interest you?

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/11/18/know-trouble/

@mrclose

Thank you for that information.   Have been told it's also been attributed to W. C. Fields, but I'm sticking with Sturgeon.    :beer:

Ronald Reagan even said something along that line, about Democrats knowing much about what is wrong.

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald