Author Topic: 6 Tactical Lever-Action Rifles Available in 2020  (Read 790 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
6 Tactical Lever-Action Rifles Available in 2020
« on: March 19, 2020, 12:04:12 pm »
American Rifleman by Evan Brune 3/14/2020

It is amazing to think that the lever-action rifle continues to thrive, largely unchanged, in the firearm world more than 160 years after it first emerged. Of course, there were early variations of the concept in the form of Colt’s Ring Lever rifles and the Volition Repeater, but the gun that most point to as the first true-lever action rifle as we know it is Benjamin Tyler Henry’s Model 1860 repeating rifle.

Throughout the years, there have been advancements and improvements, and famous designs such as the Winchester Model 1873 and Model 1894 and Savage Model 99 have emerged as popular options that still see use today. However, the market certainly has changed in some respects, and today’s manufacturers have adjusted to accommodate consumer wants and needs.

In the modern firearm market, “tactical” is the name of the game, and we certainly see a proliferation of blacked-out guns covered with rails and sporting optics, suppressors and other modern accessories. There are a number of modern lever-action rifles on the market for the discerning shooter, and here are the ones you can buy today:

More: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/3/14/6-tactical-lever-action-rifles-available-in-2020/

Offline mortarman

Re: 6 Tactical Lever-Action Rifles Available in 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 03:08:00 am »
The Bishop, while it appears to be built on a solid platform an' comes in a good caliber, looks to much like a toy. An' the Mossberg completely turned me off
 Forgive me butt I still prefer my Winchester Model 1894 Carbine. It was made in 1894, is in .32 Special an' the octagon barrel is stamped "One in One Thousand". It was my Grandmother's deer rifle an' was passed down to me through my Dad. Great rifle for hunting larger game in the woods.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 11:54:53 am »
My first rifle was the single shot Ithaca M49. I then purchased a Glenfield 30 when I was 13. I now shoot the Marlin 1895 45/70. There was a silhouette wildcat years ago that  was the 4570 case shortened to 2 inches. I sure wished it would have gone commercial.  That's the cartridge I'd like to have for a rifle.

I see that several of the guns in the article have peep sights. I have them on all my non scoped rifles except for a couple of antiques. I even had a folding vernier tang sight on my flintlock rifle.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:55:53 am by Elderberry »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 12:44:03 pm »
Never owned a lever action anything except a bb gun as a youth... wouldn't it defeat the purpose of being stealth hearing that thing rack (Ole Joe would say that is the best part)...

Educate me on these things... and ya don't have to be gentle (I can take it). I just don't see the tactical advantage of these over other guns... Maybe they are just reliable as heck, I don't know?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:45:15 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:45:14 pm »
Never owned a lever action anything except a bb gun as a youth... wouldn't it defeat the purpose of being stealth hearing that thing rack (Ole Joe would say that is the best part)...

Educate me on these things... and ya don't have to be gentle (I can take it). I just don't see the tactical advantage of these over other guns... Maybe they are just reliable as heck, I don't know?
@Sighlass

I know the article was on "Tactical", but my lever experience is all Hunting. You must be "Stealthy" to be a successful hunter. You rack a round into the chamber and lower the hammer to safe when you enter the area you are hunting. When you see the animal you intend to shoot, you cock the hammer. That only makes a click.

All rifles make noise when you rack a round into the chamber. It would be stupid to hunt or protect yourself without a round already in the chamber.

The saying that the sound of one racking a round into a shotgun will scare the shit out of your adversary is stupid. That mean that up to that point you have been carrying an unloaded weapon.

As for reliability. You have to shoot a lot to develop confidence in your weapon. And then decide which weapon to use for which purpose. I love my lever action Marlin 1895 4570, but I would Not choose it for self defense. Hunting yes. You see, I'm at least the 4th owner of that rifle and I have no clue as to how many rounds have gone thru it. I do know it has been shot enough to develop the "Dreaded Marlin Jam" that I have corrected.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 02:06:11 pm »
Thanks Elderberry (not gonna ping ya on just a thanks)... didn't think about already having the gun loaded for bear before hand. I keep a couple of handguns loaded (in chamber), but don't keep any long guns pre-loaded (in chamber, do have ready to rack). Kids know to leave my guns alone in my room as if pulling the trigger will fire it though, but still... I just don't trust myself fully to keep a shell in the shotgun.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....