Briefing Room Polls (Guests Welcome!) > The Briefingroom Polls

Are you a STEM major

(1/3) > >>

truth_seeker:
Just curious about the mix of skillsets here

Applewood:
Wish I was.  But back in my day, there was no emphasis on teaching these things to women.  Jobs in the professions that required such skill sets weren't open to us gals.  For us it was clerical, nursing and teaching.  Oh and also, the domestic arts, a/k/a home economics -- how to cook and sew -- because we girls were supposed to get married, raise a family and keep house, and once we did that, we weren't supposed to work outside the home anyway. 

I'm not a feminist, but so glad all that has changed.  Happy to see women in engineering, sciences and such. 

mountaineer:
I've always been greatly interested in science, but math and science courses in high school just flummoxed me, so I didn't pursue anything STEM-related.

Gefn:
Sorry.

Liberal arts. I started disliking math when I had to understand algebra.

Before that my goal was to be an astronomer or a medical doctor.

Applewood:

--- Quote from: Gefn on March 18, 2020, 01:40:03 pm ---Sorry.

Liberal arts. I started disliking math when I had to understand algebra.

Before that my goal was to be an astronomer or a medical doctor.

--- End quote ---

Math was my Achilles Heel.  I didn't have the head for even simple arithmetic, but a combination of bad teachers and something called Modern Math introduced in the 7th grade destroyed any hopes I might have had of getting at least a C in math and, in turn, torpedoed any chances of a real university education.  in those days a student had to have some proficiency in algebra and the other higher mathematics to get into college.  I was out of luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version