Author Topic: Calm Down, Breathe Through Your Nose - Covid19 NO BIG DEAL  (Read 25247 times)

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Calm Down, Breathe Through Your Nose - Covid19 NO BIG DEAL
« on: March 12, 2020, 04:19:58 pm »
SIGN ON A DOCTOR'S OFFICE

Every election year has a disease

SARS   2004
AVIAN   2008
SWINE  2010
MERS   2012
EBOLA  2014
ZIKA  2016
EBOLA 2018
CORONA 2020 

FACTS

Coronavirus has a contagion factor of 2.  Sars was 4.  Measles is 18.
Coronavirus has a cure rate of 99.7% for those under 50 it infects. 
Coronavirus spread is leveling off.

This is a viral pneumonia being hyped as the Black Plague before an election.
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline skeeter

Re: Calm Down, Breathe Through Your Nose - Covid19 NO BIG DEAL
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 04:23:19 pm »
Excellent post.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 04:26:25 pm »
Excellent post.

Should have been more fear for Ebola than this event.  Now that is a scary contagin. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 04:29:59 pm »
Should have been more fear for Ebola than this event.  Now that is a scary contagin.

Agree. Obama brought Ebola patients to the US for treatment instead of treating them in situ and no one batted an eye.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 04:31:29 pm »
Ebola 2018? All i recall about that was it happened during obama's tenure.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 04:37:03 pm »
SIGN ON A DOCTOR'S OFFICE

Every election year has a disease

SARS   2004
AVIAN   2008
SWINE  2010
MERS   2012
EBOLA  2014
ZIKA  2016
EBOLA 2018
CORONA 2020 

FACTS

Coronavirus has a contagion factor of 2.  Sars was 4.  Measles is 18.
Coronavirus has a cure rate of 99.7% for those under 50 it infects. 
Coronavirus spread is leveling off.

This is a viral pneumonia being hyped as the Black Plague before an election.

Thank you for the post and giving us this perspective.  goopo
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 05:12:02 pm »
Thank you for the post and giving us this perspective.  goopo

You are most welcome, beloved friend.  May God bless you and expand your territory.

Kindness rewards in both directions.  It is the most effective  thing people can do to be happy, according to a psychologist who studies happiness. I forget his name but it's a good name!
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 05:19:10 pm »
Everyone is panicking. What if you have a regular normal 24 hour bug but you’re afraid it’s something more sinister?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 05:38:33 pm »
80,000 died from flu in 2017-2018

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2018-09-27/cdc-80-000-people-died-of-flu-complications-last-season-in-us

So naturally Trump  Deranged Leftists are going crazy TODAY, with far fewer deaths..

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 05:46:40 pm »
Agree. Obama brought Ebola patients to the US for treatment instead of treating them in situ and no one batted an eye.

Yep.

No panic there, and panic was more warranted then that it is now.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 05:54:12 pm »
he National Health Service reports 2.83% fatality rate in the United States for some 1339 confirmed cases.
No doubt there are many more unreported and unconfirmed cases which reduces the mortality rate far below 2.8%. This is dreadful news for the Haters on the Left who want the worst for America always.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 06:12:15 pm »
he National Health Service reports 2.83% fatality rate in the United States for some 1339 confirmed cases.
No doubt there are many more unreported and unconfirmed cases which reduces the mortality rate far below 2.8%. This is dreadful news for the Haters on the Left who want the worst for America always.

Also........ until they distinguish in the morality rate who had pre-existing conditions and who didn't, we have no idea what that rate would be for people who are otherwise healthy.

Is it near zero??

I'd like to know.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 06:30:34 pm »
This post has true information, but it is also misleading.

First off, it is reported that for those over 60 with a health condition, the mortality rate is 49%.

And most important, suppose the virus goes away with warm weather like the cold virus.  I can assure you, it will be back in the fall.  This virus will be among the population perhaps permanently, coming back to reinfect every year.  It will survive in the southern hemisphere when our summer approaches.

We will need to adjust for the next couple years until a vaccine is developed, and even then, people will get the virus and die.  Once the panic is over, we will get back to some semblance of normal living.  But the virus is here to stay.  And I think it is a harbinger of the future.  This is the first of a number of diseases that will begin to slim the ranks of people on earth. 

When the population was around 3.75 billion, around 1972 or so, I had a bio professor tell me the planet is over populated, and that mother nature will unleash something to bring the population under control.  When HIV/AIDS came along, I thought that was what would do it.  It didn't.  But now I see one new outbreak after another, and each will take its turn to reduce the population.  I say the future in the middle of this century is bleak.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 08:23:23 pm »
Everyone is panicking. What if you have a regular normal 24 hour bug but you’re afraid it’s something more sinister?
Then you go get tested and really risk exposure to the real thing!

Oh, wait... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 08:26:28 pm »

First off, it is reported that for those over 60 with a health condition, the mortality rate is 49%.

And most important, suppose the virus goes away with warm weather like the cold virus.  I can assure you, it will be back in the fall.  This virus will be among the population perhaps permanently, coming back to reinfect every year.  It will survive in the southern hemisphere when our summer approaches.

We will need to adjust for the next couple years until a vaccine is developed, and even then, people will get the virus and die.  Once the panic is over, we will get back to some semblance of normal living.  But the virus is here to stay.  And I think it is a harbinger of the future.  This is the first of a number of diseases that will begin to slim the ranks of people on earth. 

When the population was around 3.75 billion, around 1972 or so, I had a bio professor tell me the planet is over populated, and that mother nature will unleash something to bring the population under control.  When HIV/AIDS came along, I thought that was what would do it.  It didn't.  But now I see one new outbreak after another, and each will take its turn to reduce the population.  I say the future in the middle of this century is bleak.

For the most part, HIV/AIDS is behaviourally controlled, and linked to behaviours which really aren't a large segment of the population. Not Pandemic stuff.

This is droplet borne, surface transferred, and has all the makings of something that is community acquired. That makes it a candidate, but not necessarily the great scythe of the Reaper.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 11:13:06 pm »

And most important, suppose the virus goes away with warm weather like the cold virus.  I can assure you, it will be back in the fall.

We can trust your every word, Dr. Epidemiologist.

When the population was around 3.75 billion, around 1972 or so, I had a bio professor tell me the planet is over populated, and that mother nature will unleash something to bring the population under control.  When HIV/AIDS came along, I thought that was what would do it.  It didn't.

Leftists always whine that there are  "too many people".  And exactly WHO is this "mother nature" that *she* unleashes diseases to *correct* the *overpopulation*?  Pseudoscience prattled by someone who genuflects to Charles Darwin's hundred fifty year old tautology.  "A>B>C>D" isn't science, it's nonsense.  So is everything your "bio" professor told you.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 11:59:36 pm »
Some perspective:
More info at the links.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0309-covid-19-update.html
Transcript - CDC Media Telebriefing: Update on COVID-19 Wednesday, March 10, 2020

Reports out of China that looked at more than 70,000 COVID-19 patients found that about 80% of illness had — was mild and people recovered.  15 to 20% developed serious illness.  Let’s talk about who those people are.  So far it seems like it’s not children.  Of the 70,000 cases, only about 2% were in people younger than 19.  This seems to be a disease that affects adults.  And most seriously older adults.  Starting at age 60, there is an increasing risk of disease and the risk increases with age.  The highest risk of serious illness and death is in people older than 80 years.  People with serious underlying health conditions also are more likely to develop serious outcomes including death.  The people who are at greatest risk are those older and who also have serious long-term health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, or lung disease.

Old age, sepsis tied to poor COVID-19 outcomes, death

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/old-age-sepsis-tied-poor-covid-19-outcomes-death

This is the first and largest study of the risk factors linked to severe COVID-19 infection and death in hospitalized adults who either died or were released from the hospital, the authors said. Of 191 patients, 137 were released, and 54 (28%) died in the hospital.
Co-existing conditions portend poor prognosis

The researchers compared clinical records, treatment data, laboratory results, and demographic data of survivors versus nonsurvivors. They evaluated the clinical course of symptoms, viral shedding, and changes in laboratory findings and used mathematical models.

On average, patients were middle-aged (median, 56 years), and 62% were men. The median time from illness onset to hospital release was 22 days, and the average time from onset to death was 18.5 days. Patients who died were, on average, 69 years old, versus 52 years in survivors.

Ninety-one (48%) patients had a coexisting condition, including high blood pressure (58 [30%]), diabetes (36 [19%]), and coronary heart disease (15 [8%]). Multivariable regression showed increasing odds of in-hospital death linked to advancing age (odds ratio, 1:10; 95% CI, 1.03 to 1.17; per-year increase, P = 0.0043). Half of the patients developed sepsis.

Coronary heart disease has also been linked to cardiac events and poor outcomes in patients with flu and other respiratory viral infections. "In this study, increased high-sensitivity cardiac troponin I during hospitalisation [indicating heart damage] was found in more than half of those who died," the authors wrote.

Complications such as respiratory failure (98%, 53/54 nonsurvivors vs 36%, 50/137 survivors), sepsis (100%, 54/54 vs 42%, 58/137), and secondary infections (50%, 27/54 vs 1%, 1/137) were also higher in those who died than in survivors.

The median length of fever was about 12 days in survivors, similar to that of nonsurvivors, and 45% of survivors still had a cough at hospital release. In survivors, shortness of breath ended after about 13 days.

Who is getting sick, and how sick? A breakdown of coronavirus risk by demographic factors
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-is-getting-sick-and-how-sick-a-breakdown-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

Old and young

The vast majority of cases in China — 87% — were in people ages 30 to 79, the China Center for Disease Control reported last month based on data from all 72,314 of those diagnosed with Covid-19 as of Feb. 11. That probably reflects something about biology more than lifestyle, such as being in frequent contact with other people. Teens and people in their 20s also encounter many others, at school and work and on public transit, yet they don’t seem to be contracting the disease at significant rates: Only 8.1% of cases were 20-somethings, 1.2% were teens, and 0.9% were 9 or younger. The World Health Organization mission to China found that 78% of the cases reported as of Feb. 20 were in people ages 30 to 69.

The death toll skews old even more strongly. Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39.

That bar graph has been posted elsewhere, so I won't.

The bottom line is that Age alone is not the factor, nearly so much as the underlying and often pre existing conditions which make a person more susceptible to any disease. However, while those conditions May increase mortality in any given age group, No recorded age group is suffering a 49% mortality, even with those complications.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 01:26:45 am »
I will repeat and expand on my comment from another thread:

Yes, Covid-19 is like the flu.  The open question is which flu is it more like: 2009 or 1968 (the rosiest estimates from actual medical sources I have found suggest they are the appropriate analogies) or 1918?  The 1918 flu killed an estimated 50 million out of a world population of 1.8 billion, that's 2.8%, not of those with identified cases, not of those infected, 2.8% of everyone alive at the time.  Yes, modern ICUs could have saved many of the 1918 victims, but we don't have enough ICU beds to deal with this if the peak infection numbers are too concentrated.  We have about 45,000 ICU beds. If even 1% of the population over 60 were to need them that would come to more than 700,000 people.

On the other hand, your "no big deal" view has some merit, if you happen to be under the age of 10 (no fatalities), or even under the age of 20 (0.2% mortality among those identified as infected for ages 10-19).  Most of us on this board are not.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 01:38:34 am »

On the other hand, your "no big deal" view has some merit, if you happen to be under the age of 10 (no fatalities), or even under the age of 20 (0.2% mortality among those identified as infected for ages 10-19).  Most of us on this board are not.

Thirty-eight dead to date in America.  Panic to your heart's content.  Fake News is your pied piper.

The 1918 Flu Pandemic killed 550,000 Americans on a far smaller population base.  The same proportion of fatalities today would result in almost 2,000,000 fatalities.  So 38 is truly Fake News and its followers Grave Reason For Panic and Ongoing  Insane Rage.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:57:40 pm by DeerSlayer »

Online berdie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 09:13:47 pm »
Thirty-eight dead to date in America.  Panic to your heart's content.  Fake News is your pied piper.

The 1918 Flu Pandemic killed 550,000 Americans on a far smaller population base.  The same proportion of fatalities today would result in almost 2,000,000 fatalities.  So 38 is truly Fake News and its followers Grave Reason For Panic and Ongoing  Insane Rage.

Believe me...I'm not panicked. But it this can be contained it's not a bad thing. If people could have been contained in 1918 it might have helped? Do you have a better answer?

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 09:29:33 pm »
The mainstream media is garbage. 
They are the enemy of the people.

Dr. Milton Wolf on Twitter

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 09:33:13 pm »

Believe me...I'm not panicked. But it this can be contained it's not a bad thing. If people could have been contained in 1918 it might have helped? Do you have a better answer?

1.  You're panicked.
2.  President Trump halted flights to and from Europe for thirty days.  What more do you want?
3.  Democrats have criticized everything Trump has done, ESPECIALLY trying to secure our southern border from illegal immigrants whose health is generally not well monitored.  These are the poor with few prospects in Central America and Mexico, not to mention Europe.  Lots of Muslims are coming to America illegally through our porous southern border that
Democrats have been so very hypocritical about.   Four years ago, they were all for securing our borders and sending illegals home. NOW they call that "racism".  Sick.  Do you have an answer for that?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 09:52:30 pm »
The mainstream media is garbage. 
They are the enemy of the people.

Dr. Milton Wolf on Twitter

Exactly Dr. Wolf.  Sad that the dims and their complict MSM would stoop so low to destroy our economy to get Trump out of office.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 09:54:31 pm »
I will repeat and expand on my comment from another thread:

Yes, Covid-19 is like the flu.  The open question is which flu is it more like: 2009 or 1968 (the rosiest estimates from actual medical sources I have found suggest they are the appropriate analogies) or 1918?  The 1918 flu killed an estimated 50 million out of a world population of 1.8 billion, that's 2.8%, not of those with identified cases, not of those infected, 2.8% of everyone alive at the time.  Yes, modern ICUs could have saved many of the 1918 victims, but we don't have enough ICU beds to deal with this if the peak infection numbers are too concentrated.  We have about 45,000 ICU beds. If even 1% of the population over 60 were to need them that would come to more than 700,000 people.

The corona is different than the flu and much more contagious and the symptoms are more severe, especially in the elderly.

In watching Trump address the nation today, right now they are trying to stay ahead of the spread of this virus and contain it.  They have teamed up with the public sector; Google, Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, Target, Quest Diagnostics, Lab Corp, to be able to provide rapid testing and drive-thru testing with a quick response time to determine if one is infected. Those who do not display symptoms, don't need to be tested.  If you need elective surgery, it is best to postpone, but certainly people who have a heart attack, or need other emergency medical attention should be all means go to the hospital. 

IMHO people who have the sniffles and want the doc to make them more comfortable or are using the ER to get immediate care for the common cold, allergies, etc., are robbing others from true immediate care.

Corona is more severe than the flu.  It is not a flu virus, but a coronavirus (I was corrected by another poster and they were absolutely correct).
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online berdie

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 10:12:26 pm »
1.  You're panicked.
2.  President Trump halted flights to and from Europe for thirty days.  What more do you want?
3.  Democrats have criticized everything Trump has done, ESPECIALLY trying to secure our southern border from illegal immigrants whose health is generally not well monitored.  These are the poor with few prospects in Central America and Mexico, not to mention Europe.  Lots of Muslims are coming to America illegally through our porous southern border that
Democrats have been so very hypocritical about.   Four years ago, they were all for securing our borders and sending illegals home. NOW they call that "racism".  Sick.  Do you have an answer for that?

Hmmmm...not sure you understood my post at all. :laugh: But that's o.k.