Author Topic: Stop comparing the coronavirus to the flu  (Read 293 times)

Online corbe

Stop comparing the coronavirus to the flu
« on: March 11, 2020, 11:11:47 pm »
Stop comparing the coronavirus to the flu

by Kaylee McGhee

March 11, 2020 06:05 PM

Within hours of the first reported coronavirus deaths in the United States, grocery stores in California completely sold out of Clorox wipes and toilet paper. Hand sanitizer and face masks are now nearly impossible to find nationwide, so some have discovered ways to make their own sanitizer from aloe vera gel and rubbing alcohol and face masks from articles of clothing or plastic bags.

The public is preparing for a pandemic, which is exactly what the coronavirus has become, according to the World Health Organization. Yet, many of our government and health officials continue to insist that the virus is no more dangerous than the seasonal flu, which killed more than 37,000 Americans this winter, as President Trump so aptly reminded us.

To an extent, Trump’s point is a fair one. Humans catch, fight, and even die from various diseases, bugs, and viruses all the time, so public panic isn’t warranted. But it is counterproductive to downplay the seriousness of the coronavirus by comparing it to the seasonal flu. Sure, its symptoms are similar, but COVID-19's mortality rate is much higher, and it spreads much faster than the flu, according to Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/stop-comparing-the-coronavirus-to-the-flu
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Stop comparing the coronavirus to the flu
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 11:36:26 pm »
Of course it is very serious.

But one of the major goals of Public Health practices, is to avoid panic; since panic only makes matters worse, while adding nothing helpful.

My daughter works in a market. I question her daily as to whether it is as bad, as the media portrays it to be.

Everytime she says no, it is not. I ask if they still have TP and bottled water, ans she says yes, they do.

Oddly the only place where I saw anybody advocate panic buying, was at GOPBR-'get yours before they run out.'

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:53:27 am »
So far, though, the infection rate is lower. I noted this on Twitter, but now that the virus has peaked in Wuhan and has begun to play out, we can start getting a better picture.

Wuhan has 11 million people. The number of infected there has peaked at 50,000. 1 in over 200. Fewer people are getting this virus than are getting the flu.

So, when factoring in that, compared to the tens of millions of flu cases in America (population over 300 million), and the mortality rate ends up being about even.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 03:00:56 am »

But one of the major goals of Public Health practices, is to avoid panic; since panic only makes matters worse, while adding nothing helpful.

My daughter works in a market. I question her daily as to whether it is as bad, as the media portrays it to be.

Everytime she says no, it is not. I ask if they still have TP and bottled water, ans she says yes, they do.

Oddly the only place where I saw anybody advocate panic buying, was at GOPBR-'get yours before they run out.'

Like I said a few minutes ago.  Yes this is a serious health concern, but just how many people under the age of 50 have died from this yet?

This hysteria has gone beyond insane.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 03:29:41 am »
This doctor is Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, so though he may be right or wrong, this is not just hearing it from some Dr. on TV:
Worst still to come in US coronavirus outbreak: Expert
Concerns mount about US ability to contain the virus as the WHO declares it a pandemic.

The coronavirus situation in the United States is "going to get worse", Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told politicians in Washington DC on Wednesday, saying the virus is killing people at a higher rate than that of the flu.

"It is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu," Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee.

The mortality rate for the seasonal flu is roughly 0.1 percent, Fauci said. When all possible cases are considered, the coronavirus has a mortality rate of about 1 percent, Fauci estimated.

Ok, well, this Dr. indeed, is comparing the two.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/worst-coronavirus-outbreak-expert-200311161912421.html

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:38 pm »
But that's exactly what my Pulmonologist compared it to!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 09:57:16 pm »

Well I ventured out awhile again today.  In the past 2 days I have been to 3 Publix supermarkets, 4 Walgreen's, 2 CVS, 2 Walmart neighborhood markets and 1 Target.  Toilet paper is very scarce -- some stores are without.  NO hand sanitizer.  NO rubbing alcohol.  Low inventory of hand soap.  Low inventory of paper towels.  Inventory on canned goods is down.   As of today, there are 3 confirmed cases in my county. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 10:19:57 pm »
Well I ventured out awhile again today.  In the past 2 days I have been to 3 Publix supermarkets, 4 Walgreen's, 2 CVS, 2 Walmart neighborhood markets and 1 Target.  Toilet paper is very scarce -- some stores are without.