Author Topic: Seniors Who Walk For 30 Minutes Daily Cut Risk Of Death From Any Cause by John Anderer  (Read 461 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Seniors Who Walk For 30 Minutes Daily Cut Risk Of Death From Any Cause
by John Anderer

https://www.studyfinds.org/seniors-who-walk-for-30-minutes-daily-cut-risk-of-death-from-any-cause/

PHOENIX — Two new studies are adding to the growing consensus in the medical community that staying active is perhaps the best way for older adults to live longer and stay happy and healthy well into their golden years. Best of all, no one is telling grandma or grandpa to hit the bench press; simple, leisurely activities like walking are enough to promote strong health in old age.
First of all, researchers noted that older adults were 67% less likely to die of any cause if they were at least moderately physically active for a minimum of 150 minutes each week. Additionally, a second study found that older women (average age of 79) were 38% less likely to die from a heart attack, heart failure, stroke, etc if they were consistently walking 2,100 to 4,500 steps each day.

snip
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Since most of us will not catch Covid-19, won't die from it, how about something positive on the health front?

Don't panic, wash your hands, don't stockpile water and TP.

Spread common sense, not non sense.

Peace
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

For years walking has been a universally recommended exercise for seniors and those who just can't do more strenuous exercise.  When I had my cardiac arrest back in 2008, the cardiologist recommended walking.  Now, I'm not a power walker.  I can't do miles at a time.  And my idea of walking is more of a mosey, not a sprint.  But just moving has been more than beneficial for my heart and my overall health. 

One of the great things about walking is that it can be done almost anywhere.  No need for a gym membership.  No need for fancy workout gear either.  Just comfortable clothes and any old pair of sneakers will do. 

When the weather is warm enough first thing in the  morning, I walk at the local mall before the stores open.  Climate controlled, level surfaces and no crowds.  Used to be my fellow walkers were all old bags and geezers like myself, but I notice now a number of younger people also mall walk.  Many do their walking before they go to work.  There are two young mothers who push their little ones in strollers.  There is also a fellow in a non-motorized wheelchair.  Pushing himself around the mall is good exercise for his upper body.

But no one has to walk in a mall.  Walking in your own neighborhood is fine.  if you have a nature trail you can use that.  The parking lot at work.  Wherever it's safe.  There are ways to get a little walking in without dedicating a whole lot of time to it.  For example, when you go out to eat, instead of parking close to the front door, find a spot further away and walk.  If you are able to do stairs and they are available, use them instead of riding an elevator.  I have a doctor whose office is close to one elevator, but when I come into the office building, I take another elevator to a different part of the same floor that is further away and walk to his office.  Little ways to sneak in exercise during the day.

Exercise is one of the items recommended to help us ward off or lessen the effects of the coronavirus,   So if you can walk even a little, do it.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Swimming is even better. It has virtually no impact on your joints and it works your entire body. Nobody is healthier than active swimmers.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Applewood

Swimming is even better. It has virtually no impact on your joints and it works your entire body. Nobody is healthier than active swimmers.

True dat.  Alas, I'm like a giant rock in water.  LOL 

For some years I did take water aerobics classes which were done in shallow water, although there are classes for those who are ok in deep water.   You're right about no impact on the joints.  One of the women in my class could barely walk on land because of severe arthritis.  In water though she could really move.  Wish I could have kept up those classes, but they were discontinued and I never found any others close by.

Whatever exercise works for you, do it.  Just so you get at least some movement during the day and aren't a full-time couch potato.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:46:03 am by Applewood »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
True dat.  Alas, I'm like a giant rock in water.  LOL

You might be surprised by the extent to which technique makes a difference while swimming. There is a lot of skill involved. You just need to practice proper form. Untrained swimmers waste tons of energy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:42:30 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Applewood

You might be surprised by the extent to which technique makes a difference while swimming. There is a lot of skill involved. You just need to practice proper form. Untrained swimmers waste tons of energy.

I wish I had learned to swim when I was a kid.  But there was no community swimming pool in the neighborhood.  I was friends with the girl next door and her parents offered to take me along to a pool several miles away where their daughter was learning to swim, but my mother freaked out, so no go.  When I became an adult, I had developed my mother's phobia about deep water, so I never learned.   Today, I can't get in and out of a pool very easily due to a partial disability, so no swimming for me.

But God bless those who can swim.  I know a guy in his 80s who goes swimming every day.  He moves a lot better than I do -- and I'm about 20 years younger.  I hate him.  (No, just kidding)