Author Topic: How to make your own hand sanitizer  (Read 574 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
How to make your own hand sanitizer
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:56:11 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  Diane Cowen March 6, 2020

It's easier than you think.

As the threat from coronavirus grows, stores across the nation have been selling out of  hand sanitizer. Luckily, there's a quick, easy DIY fix for this.

To make your own hand sanitizer, you only need two ingredients: Aloe vera, and rubbing alcohol. A third ingredient, essential oils, will help tame the alcohol-forward smell.

In a bowl, mix one-third cup aloe vera gel with two-thirds cup rubbing alcohol until blended. Then add a few drops of essential oils to make it smell better.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/renew-houston/health/article/How-to-make-our-own-hand-sanitizer-15111630.php

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: How to make your own hand sanitizer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 12:09:01 am »
Eucalyptus, oregano, lomatium, and licorice are the oils I'm using.

I'm planning to even spray masks with alcohol solution and letting it dry before wearing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 03:03:23 am »
Thank you....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 03:05:54 am »
Eucalyptus, oregano, lomatium, and licorice are the oils I'm using.

I'm planning to even spray masks with alcohol solution and letting it dry before wearing.

Thieves oil, oregano, fire cider, and jacking C's... prevention and immunity

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 03:07:13 am »
    Leave my damn Tito's alone.

Tito’s Is Warning People Not To Use Their Vodka As Hand Sanitizer

Julie Scagell
Scary MommyMarch 6, 2020

As much as Tito’s is good for, hand sanitizer isn’t one of them

As many good uses as there are for buying a handle of Tito’s Vodka, the company would like to remind those who are unable to find hand sanitizer that, unfortunately, its vodka is not a suitable substitute.

As panic over COVID-19 spreads and more and more cases are popping up all over the world, stores are running out of everything from bottled water to bleach to hand sanitizer. When there’s a shortage, people are left to their own devices and, naturally, that involves everyone’s favorite vodka, Tito’s.

<..snip..>

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tito-warning-people-not-vodka-095414644.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20vc2VhcmNoP3E9dGl0byUyN3Mrdm9ka2EmZm9ybT1FRE5USFQmbWt0PWVuLXVzJmh0dHBzbXNuPTEmbXNuZXdzPTEmcGx2YXI9MCZyZWZpZz01OGFmODZhNzc2OGE0M2MwZjIwZTdlNDg5MTllYzQ1YyZzcD0xJmdoYz0xJnFzPUZUJnBxPXRpdG8mc2s9UFJFUzEmc2M9OC00JmN2aWQ9NThhZjg2YTc3NjhhNDNjMGYyMGU3ZTQ4OTE5ZWM0NWMmY2M9VVMmc2V0bGFuZz1lbi1VUw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKKgy9mLh5DsiJ9u8kuzhRDzPKq5tLdJ-LSlMGuS3ty7x9U3R3ueTJG6N9J85KETkDqGDq312FfxPaA1ONLn9VWXS09QfpDeoMHZmjM8w2GwYoJQxfyr9Kh_roh_PHsnLhJqxKhMcLzHh4EHYIisya3c6w2qdEA5SorlC1uESS8B
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 04:39:28 pm »
I was going to make this but then I saw that my rubbing alcohol is only 70% IPA.  Using 2/3 cup with 1/3 cup aloe vera would bring the % alcohol in the blend down to 46.6%, which is too low to kill the virus.  The picture in the article even shows a bottle of 70% IPA, very misleading.  You have to start with 99% or the 91% IPA for this to work. 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 04:41:42 pm »
Ought to add hot pepper to it, to help train people to keep their hands away from their eyes, mouth, and face.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 04:45:18 pm »
I was going to make this but then I saw that my rubbing alcohol is only 70% IPA.  Using 2/3 cup with 1/3 cup aloe vera would bring the % alcohol in the blend down to 46.6%, which is too low to kill the virus.  The picture in the article even shows a bottle of 70% IPA, very misleading.  You have to start with 99% or the 91% IPA for this to work.

Thanks for the "Heads Up". 70%. I never knew there was such a thing. I guess it's like my 5 lb can of coffee is now a 51oz can of coffee.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 05:14:45 pm »

Why not just lower the amount you cut the alcohol with... I mean, you can make it work if need be. Heck if worse comes to worse, you can cut it with some aloe Vera Plant (we keep a few growing in house in case of burns)... Or if you must, straight alcohol (though it might dry your hands some over time)....

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:16:59 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 05:55:03 pm »
One thing people should pay attention to is how they wash. And I am the same. We buy a "bulk" size antibacterial liquid soap at Sam's Club and refill our small pump bottles. The same with hand sanitizer. But I usually don't do a good thorough wash. Dab of soap with a quick rinse. The key being is to do a good wash.

This might sound weird, but in my trade, I usually wash my hands before I go potty. And then do a quick dab and rinse.

If I use a public restroom I do wash thoroughly. And I never touch the door when leaving with my bare hands.

I am immune compromised and have a latent viral pneumonia. I got the flu in 2004 and developed a viral pneumonia complication. That pneumonia recurred in early in 2005.  I went to three different MDs. They all told me the same thing. I will always carry this pneumonia virus. So, basically, if I get whatever the "normal" flu virus is for the current season, I have an added risk of that pneumonia rearing its ugly head.

The reason I am immune deficient is because of the Hep C I had for so long. I got the cure. The way they test for Hep C is checking for antibodies, and not the virus itself. So I will always test positive for Hep C. Every year that I try to stay healthy increases my immune system. But at the same time , as I grow older, my immune system lowers. It isn't a thing that is some sort of obsession. More like situational awareness, mindfulness, and rationality.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 07:37:16 pm »
Why not just lower the amount you cut the alcohol with... I mean, you can make it work if need be.

40% Isopropol is already too diluted before you add even one gram of Aloe.  It can't be made to work.  I suppose if I wanted to ensure 95% alcohol I'd just pour some from the bottle of 190 proof Everclear I keep in the Castle Bar.  Just keep flames and lit cigarettes away.... :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 08:40:39 pm »
Why not just lower the amount you cut the alcohol with... I mean, you can make it work if need be. Heck if worse comes to worse, you can cut it with some aloe Vera Plant (we keep a few growing in house in case of burns)... Or if you must, straight alcohol (though it might dry your hands some over time)....

It's possible, but with that small amount of aloe vera it would be WAY too harsh on the skin.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 09:12:17 pm »
Bkmk
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️