Author Topic: Stocks plunge as markets reel from coronavirus fears...again  (Read 589 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stocks plunge as markets reel from coronavirus fears...again
« on: March 05, 2020, 03:32:37 pm »
Stocks plunge as markets reel from coronavirus fears
By Sylvan Lane - 03/05/20 09:51 AM EST

Stocks fell sharply Thursday as financial market volatility driven by the spreading coronavirus rattles Wall Street for the second straight week.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by roughly 740 points, a 2.7 percent drop, while the S&P 500 opened with a loss of 2.5 percent and the Nasdaq composite fell 2.3 percent. Thursday’s losses follow a tumultuous week for stocks after rallies on Monday and Wednesday punctuated by a Tuesday plunge.

A brief boost of Wall Street relief from former Vice President Biden’s strong Super Tuesday victories gave way to deepening fears about the coronavirus and its impact on the economy.

Business and nonprofits have cancelled hundreds of events planned for spring, U.S. airlines have scrapped flights, and companies are bracing for widespread absences and school closures.

Amazon and Facebook have asked Seattle-area employees after an employee of the online retail giant and a contractor for the social media platform tested positive for the disease.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/486081-stocks-plunge-as-markets-reel-from-coronavirus-fears
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Stocks plunge as markets reel from coronavirus fears...again
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 08:48:31 pm »
The market will be this way for some time -- up and down, so we had better get used to it.  Not going to change anytime soon.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 09:12:09 pm »
Dow closed at 970 points down, per CNBC.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 08:32:36 pm »
The market will be this way for some time -- up and down, so we had better get used to it.  Not going to change anytime soon.

I see it continuing to be in a downward spiral until it is determined whether or not corona will dissipate like the flu once warmer temps settle in and they come up with a vaccine. Until then ... it's going to be a very long roller coaster ride.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 08:53:43 pm »
I see it continuing to be in a downward spiral until it is determined whether or not corona will dissipate like the flu once warmer temps settle in and they come up with a vaccine. Until then ... it's going to be a very long roller coaster ride.

Well, I just read that this virus might not go away when the weather warms up.  But who knows? 

Right about now, putting my money under the mattress is sounding better and better. 

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 10:26:24 pm »
My opinion on this matter is worth nada. But I really think that once the "big boys" deem it to be time they will get back in. The market could very well get back to where it was...or higher at that time.

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 10:37:50 pm »
A lot of manufacturing, once shut down, is hard to start up again. There's a long line of supply chains where the flow of materials is disrupted and it takes time to straightened them out and get flowing again.