Author Topic: MSNBC’s Chris Matthews Announces Retirement  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: MSNBC’s Chris Matthews Announces Retirement
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 06:29:36 pm »
"conservative Democrats."
I guess my parents fit that description extremely well.
Very religious, my father a WWII vet, anti-communist, pro-military, pro-gun, and against all the sexual freedom crap from the sixties. My father didn't much like Big Fed Government either.
In short, they'd  epitomize conservative Republicans today. Except, they always voted for Democrats.
At least my father did until one year before he died at 93. Even then he called himself an independent.
My parents were like the Dems who grew up during the Great Depression for whom FDR was a hero who beat the depression and won WWII.  To them Republicans were the party of big business and keeping the little man down.
I also think there was an element of religion in party affiliation in those days. Most Catholics, like us, voted for Dems. Most Protestants, at least northern Protestants,  voted for Republicans.
Of course, a lot of that has changed over the decades.
I always wanted to ask my extremely devout, pro-life Catholic parents how they could stomach voting for pro-abortion Democrats.

Sounds a bit like my parents.  Hardcore Democrats like almost everyone else in this once blue collar town.  Conservative Catholics too.  I remember when abortion was legalized, Mom predicted it would one day worsen to the point where babies born alive would be killed -- as would any other "burdens" such as the elderly, the chronically ill or the disabled.  They were patriots too -- Dad served in World War II like most of the other able bodied men in this town.  Mom worked in a factory that was converted to make things for the war effort.  To shirk your duty to serve either in the military or in some civilian effort would have been appalling .  They did not believe in taking government assistance, although during the Great Depression when they were growing up, Mom's family had to take assistance when her father was out of  work.  At that time, being "on relief," as it was called back then, was an embarrassment.  When I was a kid in the 50's,  Dad was laid off several times and my parents scrounged around any way they could to avoid having to take help from the government.

My parents are both gone now, but I doubt today they would support any Democrat.  My mother's youngest sister is still living and I know she is no longer a Democrat.  The karp that goes on now which the Democrats favor  -- LGBTQ, free stuff, massive corrupt government programs, lack of patriotism and so on (all of which are favored  by the Democrats)-- they have driven my aunt away. 

By the way, my aunt is now a fan of Rush Limbaugh. 

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 07:04:16 pm »
Sign of the times, when PMSNBC is left of Chrissy Matthews.
Liberals are doing this in the entire Democrat Party. If you are not fully onboard with every ultra-radical idea the current Democrats support, they will throw you overboard in a second and never look back.

Spent some time in the South years ago before Reagan. Almost everybody there was what was called a 'Southern Democrat'. That is, they always voted Democrat because their fathers always voted Democrat. Those guys are gone now. The Democrat Party today is suited only for inner city urbans. Not for the general public.

Now, these days they are all crazy Trump supporters.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 07:06:06 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline verga

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 10:30:56 pm »
"conservative Democrats."
I guess my parents fit that description extremely well.
Very religious, my father a WWII vet, anti-communist, pro-military, pro-gun, and against all the sexual freedom crap from the sixties. My father didn't much like Big Fed Government either.
In short, they'd  epitomize conservative Republicans today. Except, they always voted for Democrats.
At least my father did until one year before he died at 93. Even then he called himself an independent.
My parents were like the Dems who grew up during the Great Depression for whom FDR was a hero who beat the depression and won WWII.  To them Republicans were the party of big business and keeping the little man down.
I also think there was an element of religion in party affiliation in those days. Most Catholics, like us, voted for Dems. Most Protestants, at least northern Protestants,  voted for Republicans.
Of course, a lot of that has changed over the decades.
I always wanted to ask my extremely devout, pro-life Catholic parents how they could stomach voting for pro-abortion Democrats.
Word for word you described my parents.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 02:09:15 am »
Why can’t internet posters use words? What the heck is RT?

Maybe it’s just me, but this is so annoying.
RT is the Russian-owned cable news network. That's their brand, not my abbreviation.

They hire a lot of personalities who end up washed out of the U.S. cable news industry. Ed Schultz, Larry King, Jesse Ventura, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_America

@aligncare

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online goatprairie

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 03:19:18 am »
Sounds a bit like my parents.  Hardcore Democrats like almost everyone else in this once blue collar town.  Conservative Catholics too.  I remember when abortion was legalized, Mom predicted it would one day worsen to the point where babies born alive would be killed -- as would any other "burdens" such as the elderly, the chronically ill or the disabled.  They were patriots too -- Dad served in World War II like most of the other able bodied men in this town.  Mom worked in a factory that was converted to make things for the war effort.  To shirk your duty to serve either in the military or in some civilian effort would have been appalling .  They did not believe in taking government assistance, although during the Great Depression when they were growing up, Mom's family had to take assistance when her father was out of  work.  At that time, being "on relief," as it was called back then, was an embarrassment.  When I was a kid in the 50's,  Dad was laid off several times and my parents scrounged around any way they could to avoid having to take help from the government.

My parents are both gone now, but I doubt today they would support any Democrat.  My mother's youngest sister is still living and I know she is no longer a Democrat.  The karp that goes on now which the Democrats favor  -- LGBTQ, free stuff, massive corrupt government programs, lack of patriotism and so on (all of which are favored  by the Democrats)-- they have driven my aunt away. 

By the way, my aunt is now a fan of Rush Limbaugh.
My parents would rather cut an arm off than take money from the government or charity from anyone. That was the attitude of most adults then. If you couldn't take care of your family, you weren't considered a real man in those days.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 04:19:29 am »
My parents would rather cut an arm off than take money from the government or charity from anyone. That was the attitude of most adults then. If you couldn't take care of your family, you weren't considered a real man in those days.

Well, after the Great Depression that was my parents' attitude.   Mom in particular.  During the Depression, government aid came with some downsides.  One was the surprise inspections.  Inspectors would come to the house looking in every nook and cranny and interrogating my grandparents as if they were criminals -- all in an effort to see if they were taking government money when they didn't need to.   Mom told one story about an inspector questioning Grandma about a new dress she had made for my mother.  Grandma knew how to sew and she would make clothes for the family using whatever fabric, thread and such she could find.  Then inspector demanded a receipt for the dress -- he was convinced that Grandma had bought it at some fancy dress shop.  Of course, Grandma had no receipt, but she showed him some of the leftover fabric and notions, which finally convinced the inspector that the dress was homemade.

During lean times, my parents did without, they worked at an assortment of small jobs, they did what they had to in order to survive and to see that we kids had the basic necessities.  I was just a little kid back in the 50s when Dad was laid off and didn't really realize all the sacrifices they made for their family back then until much later as an adult. 

My brother and I have our parents' determination to avoid the dole.  We do what we have to in order to survive.  However, my brother is far better off than I am, but if I got into a jam and couldn't find a way to pay a bill myself,  I could go to him for help.  The same applies to our extended family as well.  If anyone really gets desperate, you go to family first.