Author Topic: Afghanistan/Taliban Peace Deal with updates.  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Afghanistan/Taliban Peace Deal with updates.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 11:33:44 am »
This was our 1st strike against the Taliban in 11 days

You can't put a price on 11 days of peace.  #MAGA

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 12:22:59 pm »
You can't put a price on 11 days of peace.  #MAGA

Really? Is this what the Never Trumpers are gloating about?? Would you like to make that call that someone's son or daughter was killed in an insider attack in Afghanistan as a number of soldiers have? I think it's pretty sad to have such an attitude to "rub in" some perceived failure on behalf of the president trying to reach some peace agreement, a conflict he had nothing to do with but after 911, yes, sure, we had to go into Afghanistan. Maybe we needed a different type of campaign.
World News
February 8, 2020 / 10:35 PM / 23 days ago
Insider attack in Afghanistan kills two U.S. soldiers and Afghan serviceman
Abdul Qadir Sediqi, Idrees Ali

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-afghanistan-military-idUSKBN20304P

It's irksome to be haughty and I'd mainly chalk it up in saying that people probably aren't aware of the tremendously difficult situation we are in.

We save human rights, women's rights but at a cost of how many US soldiers?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 12:31:04 pm »
Really? Is this what the Never Trumpers are gloating about?? Would you like to make that call that someone's son or daughter was killed in an insider attack in Afghanistan as a number of soldiers have? I think it's pretty sad to have such an attitude to "rub in" some perceived failure on behalf of the president trying to reach some peace agreement, a conflict he had nothing to do with but after 911, yes, sure, we had to go into Afghanistan. Maybe we needed a different type of campaign.
It's irksome to be haughty and I'd mainly chalk it up in saying that people probably aren't aware of the tremendously difficult situation we are in.

:yowsa:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 12:35:57 pm »
In fact, in this, it's a lose-lose situation,

The next time, soldiers are killed, especially with those insider attacks, one can say, "Well, if we had left Afghanistan, this wouldn't have happened"... that's why so many are just ready to pull up stakes... the people we are suppose to be defending, have killed  us.... how difficult it must be for the families.

And then, I'm not saying, I'm for a pull-out. I'd respect what the Generals say but it is a very difficult matter.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 01:10:18 pm »
In fact, in this, it's a lose-lose situation,

The next time, soldiers are killed, especially with those insider attacks, one can say, "Well, if we had left Afghanistan, this wouldn't have happened"... that's why so many are just ready to pull up stakes... the people we are suppose to be defending, have killed  us.... how difficult it must be for the families.

And then, I'm not saying, I'm for a pull-out. I'd respect what the Generals say but it is a very difficult matter.
Exactly.  Between bush creating the mess in iraq and obma screwing up syria et al, the American peoples unrelenting  judicial prosecution of our troops when they come home, the only win left is to get the hell out and let the survival of the fittest sort it out.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 02:32:04 pm »

A new low from one of the resident Anti-Trumpers.  Gloating when US soldiers die, over a perceived "gotcha."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Afghanistan/Taliban Peace Deal with updates
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 02:42:05 pm »
What a load of crap.....
We were well aware of the threats from the middle east decades before 911 and we ignored them.
We were well aware that our passports were being falsified, yet we ignored them and allowed the 911 hijackers travel freely between the US and the ME.
Clinton "tried" to take bin laden out....
Bush was briefed on bin laden and his organization by the NSA and ignored it.....
We have imported terrorists from every terrorist loving country in the world since 911 (san bernadino for example)

We don't have to worry about the opponents of civilized society, we are to busy shooting our selves in the foot..
You left out the Gorelick Memo, which stove piped intel instead of interagency sharing. Ultimately, that practice kept a lot of dots from being connected, and made 9/11 possible, or at least provided an excuse for it not being prevented.
Otherwise, I fully agree.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 04:21:49 pm »
Really? Is this what the Never Trumpers are gloating about?? Would you like to make that call that someone's son or daughter was killed in an insider attack in Afghanistan as a number of soldiers have?

@TomSea

The NT's have no shame. They are powered by bile.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 04:26:37 pm »
Exactly.  Between bush creating the mess in iraq and obma screwing up syria et al, the American peoples unrelenting  judicial prosecution of our troops when they come home, the only win left is to get the hell out and let the survival of the fittest sort it out.

@EdinVA

NOBODY has EVER won a war by killing peasants. If you are serious about winning,you MUST kill off the leadership and everybody that aids them.  Even if it is members of the Saud Royal Family hiding in Saudi Arabia.

We don't even need their freaking oil,so WHY are we kissing their asses? Boy Jorge ain't even blowing their King anymore.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 07:16:45 pm »

@TomSea
Pointing out Trump is a miserable negotiator is gloating?  I guess defending his failure makes you a hero.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 07:35:53 pm »
@EdinVA

NOBODY has EVER won a war by killing peasants. If you are serious about winning,you MUST kill off the leadership and everybody that aids them.  Even if it is members of the Saud Royal Family hiding in Saudi Arabia.

We don't even need their freaking oil,so WHY are we kissing their asses? Boy Jorge ain't even blowing their King anymore.

@sneakypete

WWII?  The "peasants" were enabling the leadership to succeed by minding materials, building planes, ships and ammo...  Just taking out the leadership alone does not work.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 11:25:30 pm »
@sneakypete

WWII?  The "peasants" were enabling the leadership to succeed by minding materials, building planes, ships and ammo...  Just taking out the leadership alone does not work.

@EdinVA

Yeah,they were mostly doing that to keep their leadership from killing them,too.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2020, 03:40:05 am »
U.S.-Taliban Peace Deal Under Fire
Stefanie Glinski

KABUL—The fragile peace deal between the United States and the Taliban appeared to hang in the balance Wednesday as the U.S. Defense Department announced its first airstrike against Taliban forces in 11 days and bitter disagreements between the radical Islamist movement and the Afghan government, as well as internal divisions in Kabul, threatened to nullify the pact.

People throughout the nation were holding their breath, caught in a limbo between fear and hope, as new violence erupted in a country long torn by civil war. Both U.S. and Afghan officials suggested that the Taliban were violating the pact despite an unprecedented telephone call between U.S. President Donald Trump and Taliban political leader Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar on Tuesday, after which Trump said the two had agreed there would be “no violence.”

In a series of tweets, Col. Sonny Leggett, the spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said the Taliban had conducted 43 attacks against Afghan national forces on Tuesday alone. In response, he said. “The US conducted an airstrike on March 4 against Taliban fighters in Nahr-e Saraj, Helmand, who were actively attacking an #ANDSF [Afghan National Defense and Security Forces] checkpoint. This was a defensive strike to disrupt the attack. This was our 1st strike against the Taliban in 11 days.”

Read more at: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/04/us-taliban-peace-deal-under-fire-kabul-dispatch/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2020, 04:03:42 am »
They should have the triangulated locations of the higher ups, clean 'em out.
Re-Negotiate.

Don't want those terms?

Lather, rinse, repeat...

Sooner or later someone will deal in good faith.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2020, 08:24:08 pm »
March 4th, 2020:

U.S. military perplexed by Taliban living up to letter of agreement | FDD's Long War Journal
Bill Roggio

Days after halting all offensive operations to ink a “peace deal,” the U.S. military has launched an air strike against Taliban fighters in Helmand after the jihadist group conducted dozens of attacks against Afghan forces there.

Resolute Support’s spokesman called for the Taliban to “uphold their commitments” and not increase attacks, even though the U.S.-Taliban agreement signed last weekend does not include such language.

The drone strike hit Taliban fighters in Naha-i-Saraj, a contested district in Helmand province, as they “were actively attacking an ANDSF checkpoint,” Col. Sonny Leggett, the spokesman for U.S. Forces-Afghanistan and Resolute Support tweeted today.

The State Department agreed to a lopsided deal in which the Taliban extracted several significant concessions in exchange for little. The U.S. agreed to a full withdrawal from Afghanistan within 14 months, the delisting of Taliban leaders from international sanctions lists, and an uneven prisoner exchange that would free 5,000 jihadists for just 1,000 prisoners held by the Taliban. (The Afghan government quickly balked at this concession.) The Taliban has agreed to take part in intra-Afghan negotiations, but hasn’t recognized the Afghan government’s legitimacy. Nor has the Taliban agreed to a ceasefire with Afghan forces, or offered any real indication that it seeks peace. Akhundzada’s victory declaration was littered with references to the Taliban’s “Islamic Emirate,” the same authoritarian regime the jihadists have been fighting to resurrect since 2001.

Read more at: https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2020/03/analysis-taliban-leader-declares-victory-after-u-s-agrees-to-withdrawal-deal.php

Offline TomSea

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2020, 09:48:42 am »
James Jay Carafano
@JJCarafano
·
11h
1) America isn't leaving Afghanistan 2) the troop level was set even before the deal was signed 3) further reductions or changes are conditions based

https://twitter.com/JJCarafano/status/1235689628574846976

Meaning what James Jay Carafano??

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2020, 12:49:48 am »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-carries-out-first-airstrike-taliban-doha-deal-n1149331?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

U.S. carries out first airstrike on Taliban since Doha deal

Colonel Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for the U.S. Forces, said it was a "defensive strike" to disrupt an expected attack.

KABUL — The United States conducted an airstrike on Wednesday against Taliban fighters in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province, a U.S. forces spokesman said, the first such attack since a troop withdrawal agreement was signed between the two sides on Saturday.

The Taliban fighters were "were actively attacking an [Afghan National Security Forces] checkpoint. This was a defensive strike to disrupt the attack," said Colonel Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for the U.S. Forces in Afghanistan in a tweet.

He said Washington was committed to peace but would defend Afghan forces if needed.

more at link

Bombing for Peace.  Historic. :patriot:

And they say Trump is doing a bang up job at annihilating ISIS and fighting terrorism.  He can't even keep the Pentagon fully staffed.  And ISIS is resurging too.  He completely put us in a backwards direction in Syria too.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

Washington Post:

‘Thrown under the bus’: Some Afghans view U.S.-Taliban peace deal with mix of disbelief and anger
Susannah George

KABUL —As U.S. and Taliban negotiators celebrated the signing of a peace deal in Doha, for many in Kabul, the agreement felt like a betrayal. After more than 18 years of a U.S.-led war in Afghanistan, the document seeking to end it made no mention of any of the ideals once touted by the conflict's supporters and architects.

© Lorenzo Tugnoli for The Washington Post Shogofa Danish, 25, a Dari news presenter for Tolo News TV, anchors a morning news cast. In January 2016, a Taliban suicide bomber rammed his car into a bus carrying employees of Tolo TV, Afghanistan’s most popular private broadcaster, killing seven staffers. Many Afghans feel the deal negotiated between the U.S. and the Taliban gives the group too much power.

The deal, signed Feb. 29 in Qatar’s capital, also leaves the Afghan government in a weakened position as it prepares for its own round of talks with the Taliban, according to the Afghan officials and analysts.

The provisions included a commitment to a controversial prisoner swap that robs the government of key leverage before the talks, which had been scheduled to begin by Tuesday. And a reference to the Taliban as the “Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan” is seen as giving the group greater legitimacy, despite language that the United States does not recognize any such political standing.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/thrown-under-the-bus-some-afghans-view-us-taliban-peace-deal-with-mix-of-disbelief-and-anger/ar-BB10SKC7

TOLO News mentioned in the article:   https://tolonews.com/

It's all a terrible problem. We have the big thread above but this is an important article. Will merge later on.

Offline skeeter

This from the paper that published the Pentagon Papers.

My, how times change.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
TFB.  Y'all should have stood up to the Taliban when we had them on the run.  Now the Americans are tired of dying for your miserable country, at your filthy hands.  Next time you let terrorists use your land as a training ground to kill innocent Americans we'll just come back and kick your butts again, only we'll leave as soon as the butt-kicking is over.

Rebuild your own stuff.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2020, 11:34:49 am »
Excerpt:

At war
After Tours in Afghanistan, U.S. Veterans Weigh Peace With the Taliban

By John Ismay

March 6, 2020

“It’s just this classic case of American good intentions and how it fell apart completely,” said Drew Pham, an Army veteran who deployed to Wardak Province in 2010. Pham worries that the withdrawal of combat troops will be followed by more reductions in financial aid and other diplomatic support that could hasten the fall of the Afghan government — in similar ways to how Saigon fell in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. “My Afghan friends say that they’re just so tired of the war, and tired of being afraid,” said Pham, whose grandfather, a South Vietnamese army colonel, died in a re-education camp after the Vietnam War. “If this peace deal is what they need, of course I support it, but I also feel this deep melancholy about it.”

Pham also expressed deep concerns about the people she developed a bond with while serving — a feeling shared by many other veterans who worked closely with interpreters who were critical to helping American service members communicate with their Afghan counterparts and the locals where they were based.

Marc Silvestri, an Army veteran who served in the eastern part of the country in 2008 and 2009, said he hopes that the peace agreement will not derail his former interpreter from moving to the United States through the Special Immigrant Visa program. For the past five years, Silvestri worked to secure a visa for his Afghan colleague, who was assigned to Silvestri’s unit while he was deployed along the border with Pakistan. Silvestri hopes to welcome him to America in just over a month. At least one American human rights group, International Refugee Assistance Project, has warned that the withdrawal of U.S. forces could put some Afghans who live in vulnerable areas and are still waiting for a visa at additional risk of being targeted by the Taliban.

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/magazine/05atwar-afghan-peace-deal-veterans.html

Pretty informative article.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2020, 12:46:09 pm »
Being in some of these places "forever" doesn't bother me, Japan, Germany, Korea, we are there forever... one could even look at more friendly confines I suppose like England and we are in Iraq for a long haul.

Afghan peace deal leaves two American hostages in limbo
By Eric Lebson, opinion contributor — 03/07/20

At the recent signing ceremony for the Afghan peace accord in Doha, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo cautioned the Taliban against declaring victory, noting there is more work to be done to ensure the future of Afghanistan. That’s certainly true if you are the family of either Paul Overby or Mark Frerichs, two American citizens missing in Afghanistan whose names were conspicuously absent from any media coverage or official statements around the event.

The Overby case is a particularly difficult one. He went to Afghanistan in 2014 to interview the leader of the Haqqani network for a book he was writing. His disappearance was not publicly acknowledged until 2017, and as far as the public record states, he disappeared and his whereabouts have remained unknown. Shortly after, the Taliban issued a public statement that they did not have him, for whatever value that has.

The Frerichs case has its own complications but is relatively more straightforward. It is unclear what business brought Frerichs to Afghanistan, but he disappeared at the end of January 2020 and the media have reported that U.S. government officials confirmed he is in the custody of the same Haqqani network....

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/485605-afghan-peace-deal-leaves-two-american-hostages-in-limbo

Offline TomSea

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 09:49:40 am »
TOLOnews
@TOLOnews
A group of women activists, wearing burqas, walked in the Kabul streets to express concerns over the safeguarding of their rights in upcoming talks with the Taliban and the peace process.

https://twitter.com/TOLOnews/status/1237313817798938625

Amazing and those "activists" look like they are wearing the full net covering over the face.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 09:56:50 am »
Pinned Tweet
TOLOnews
@TOLOnews
·
15h
The intra-Afghan talks must protect women's rights, says Angelina Jolie in an op-ed published by TOLOnews https://bit.ly/3aMjMbf

Also in Farsi فارسی  https://bit.ly/38F8Ev8
and Pashto    پشتو  https://bit.ly/39DMafg

#Afghanistan

https://twitter.com/TOLOnews/status/1237084912601235463

Angelina Jolie: Intra-Afghan Talks Must Protect Women's Rights | TOLOnews

Throughout International Women's Day, my thoughts have been with the women of Afghanistan whose hard-won rights and freedom are hanging in the balance. Just days ago, an agreement was signed between the government of the United States and the Taliban that was reached without the inclusion of women, made no mention of women's rights under the Afghan constitution, and contained no commitments to protecting those rights in the intra-Afghan negotiations that are to come.

Everyone wants to see peace in Afghanistan. But peace gained at the price of the rights of women is no peace at all, just conflict and oppression by different means. It would be a betrayal of the huge sacrifices made by the Afghan people and security forces, and by many brave international servicemen and women.

All governments, starting with ours in the United States, should insist on the full inclusion of women in the next stage of the negotiations, and make clear that they will not support a peace agreement that undermines Afghan women's rights under the constitution or calls into question the country's democratic institutions.

Read more at: https://tolonews.com/opinion/angelina-jolie-intra-afghan-talks-must-protect-womens-right

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »

All governments, starting with ours in the United States, should insist on the full inclusion of women in the next stage of the negotiations, and make clear that they will not support a peace agreement that undermines Afghan women's rights under the constitution or calls into question the country's democratic institutions.

@TomSea

In other words,Angelina Jolie and her "sisters" want us to stay there until Islam is destroyed.

Is she offering to sign up an of her children for jobs as infantrymen/whymen when they are old enough?