Author Topic: All U.S. troops to leave Afghanistan in 14 months if Taliban meets commitments of peace deal signed  (Read 344 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Military Times 2/28/2020 Gannon reported from Kabul, Afghanistan. Associated Press writers Rahim Faiez in Kabul, Lorne Cook in Brussels and Joseph Krauss in Jerusalem contributed.

All U.S. troops to leave Afghanistan in 14 months if Taliban meets commitments of peace deal signed today

The United States and the Taliban have signed a peace agreement aimed at ending the 18-year war in Afghanistan, America’s longest.

The signing could help President Donald Trump fulfill a key campaign promise to extract America from its “endless wars.” Under the agreement, the U.S. will begin withdrawing thousands of troops in exchange for Taliban commitments to prevent Afghanistan from being a launchpad for terrorist attacks.

If the Taliban meet their commitments, all U.S. troops would leave in 14 months.

There are about 13,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, with that number set to drawdown to about 8,600 in the coming weeks. Further drawdowns are to depend on the Taliban meeting certain counter-terrorism conditions, compliance that will be assessed by the United States.

All told, there have been more than 2,400 U.S. troop deaths and nearly 21,000 troops wounded in action since hostilities began.

“America and its allies have made tremendous sacrifices in pursuit of these goals, as have the people of Afghanistan,” Defense Secretary Mark Esper said in prepared remarks, according to a transcript provided by the Pentagon. "We honor our brave service members who have served here, especially those who have been casualties in this war. And we remember the innocent civilians lost in this struggle. The ongoing efforts to achieve a political settlement after many long years of fighting, reflect a shared desire for a sovereign, unified Afghanistan at peace with itself and its neighbors. "

More: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/02/29/all-us-troops-to-leave-afghanistan-in-14-months-if-taliban-meets-commitments-of-peace-deal-signed-today/

Offline EdinVA

So, is everyone leaving or just the US?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
HEY! If you can't trust Ilsam to keep their word to maintain the peace and stop their war of global conquest and enslavement,who CAN you trust?

The ONLY reason they are talking peace now is because Trump has been focusing the military on killing off the leadership and the financiers,not body counts on retards with a rifle who can't even read or write.

I would HOPE,and expect my hopes to come true if Trump is re-elected,that he will continue to take out the leadership after our troops have returned back to the US.
Which makes sense,because without the leadership and the financial help the bring,the rest of them are  harmless to anyone but their own families.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
HEY! If you can't trust Ilsam to keep their word to maintain the peace and stop their war of global conquest and enslavement,who CAN you trust?

The ONLY reason they are talking peace now is because Trump has been focusing the military on killing off the leadership and the financiers,not body counts on retards with a rifle who can't even read or write.

I would HOPE,and expect my hopes to come true if Trump is re-elected,that he will continue to take out the leadership after our troops have returned back to the US.
Which makes sense,because without the leadership and the financial help the bring,the rest of them are  harmless to anyone but their own families.
Maybe one key component of the deal should be if they break it we introduce them to the God of Hellfire until they are willing to keep their word. Of course that only works with someone like Trump in the Presidency a democrat would punish them with pallets of cash.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Pete wrote:
"If you can't trust islam to keep their word to maintain the peace and stop their war of global conquest and enslavement, who CAN you trust?"

Got that right.
This is going to be the "Paris Peace Accords, muslim-style".
Wait and see.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Just pick off a couple of them every week with drones...

(Call in Hillary, she knows how to make it look self-inflicted).  :smokin:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

14 months should give Iran plenty of time to totally rearm the Taliban, sort of like Hitler did prior to WWII.