Author Topic: Coronavirus live updates: First US death reported in Washington state, officials say  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Applewood

Coronavirus live updates: First US death reported in Washington state, officials say

A person has died from the new coronavirus in Washington state, the first death from the virus in the U.S., health officials confirmed Saturday.

The person died in King County, Washington, the state's Department of Health said. More information was expected at a press conference at 1 p.m. PT.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/29/coronavirus-outbreak-live-updates-oregon-case-italy-level-3-california/4904296002/

Online Right_in_Virginia

Patient's age, preexisting health status?  How long had the patient had the virus?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
There were no details immediately available about the person.

Offline Applewood

Patient's age, preexisting health status?  How long had the patient had the virus?

Apparently, no details yet.  There will be a news conference from Washington State at 1 pm Pacific which I think is 4 pm Eastern if my math is any good (which it isn't).

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

A Seattle-area woman has died from the coronovirus, the first fatality in the United States, authorities said Saturday.

The unidentified victim was a “wonderful woman” in her 50′s and lived in King County, Wash., which includes the city of Seattle as well as suburbs.

President Trump said the woman was “medically compromised" without elaborating.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee confirmed the death on Saturday.

"It is a sad day in our state as we learn that a Washingtonian has died from COVID-19," Washington Governor Jay Inslee said in a statement. "Our hearts go out to his family and friends. We will continue to work toward a day where no one dies from this virus."

Which is it?

Offline Applewood

Which is it?

I noticed the discrepancy too.  Maybe we'll find out from the upcoming press conference. 

Seems to happen with every major news story -- the initial details get messed up.  Take the shooting in Milwaukee.  First, the death toll was seven; then it was 6.  And most news outlets couldn't get the name of the brewery right either. 

It's why initial reports should be discounted, or at least taken with a grain of salt.  Better to wait for later details.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

not good. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I am still far from panic. An average of 16 people a day are killed crossing the street source in the US, to put this in perspective.

It's sad, but the lady was "medically compromised", according to reports, and folks who are in a situation where they can't fight back tend to succumb to infections that would not seriously affect someone who was in good health to begin with.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

I noticed the discrepancy too.  Maybe we'll find out from the upcoming press conference. 

Seems to happen with every major news story -- the initial details get messed up.  Take the shooting in Milwaukee.  First, the death toll was seven; then it was 6.  And most news outlets couldn't get the name of the brewery right either. 

It's why initial reports should be discounted, or at least taken with a grain of salt.  Better to wait for later details.

I already saw a headline 'Trump Misidentifies Corona Virus Victim'. I guess he's not the only one who's confused.

Online mountaineer

I already saw a headline 'Trump Misidentifies Corona Virus Victim'. I guess he's not the only one who's confused.
The news report I heard said it was a woman. I didn't know it was a man until I read on Twitter, where some one thought it was a real anti-Trump gotcha moment.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

Whether the deceased was male or female -- I don't really care.  The important thing, I believe, is that the person already had a chronic illness.  This is much like the flu where the ones who die are primarily the elderly and/or the chronically ill. 

And in other countries where hundreds have perished -- who knows what kind of health system they have?  I had read once that in China the health care system relies on a number of folk remedies to treat illnesses.  If that's the case, it's possible that those remedies don't work with the coronavirus and that might account for the high number of deaths. 

This is a serious illness, no question, but I think most of us will be fine.  If anything kills us, it's going to be fear and panic. 

Online Smokin Joe

Whether the deceased was male or female -- I don't really care.  The important thing, I believe, is that the person already had a chronic illness.  This is much like the flu where the ones who die are primarily the elderly and/or the chronically ill. 

And in other countries where hundreds have perished -- who knows what kind of health system they have?  I had read once that in China the health care system relies on a number of folk remedies to treat illnesses.  If that's the case, it's possible that those remedies don't work with the coronavirus and that might account for the high number of deaths. 

This is a serious illness, no question, but I think most of us will be fine.  If anything kills us, it's going to be fear and panic.
I agree with all you have said.
It appears those most at risk medically are those most normally and ordinarily at risk of a pulmonary infection which could kill them:
Those with preexisting conditions, who are immunocompromised (for whatever reason, be it HIV/AIDS, Chemo/radiation treatment, or immunosuppressant medication) or who have a variety of other conditions which make them susceptible to respiratory problems.
I am not a doctor, but I would consider those people at elevated risk of a more serious problem than someone we would consider in normal good health.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

I agree with all you have said.
It appears those most at risk medically are those most normally and ordinarily at risk of a pulmonary infection which could kill them:
Those with preexisting conditions, who are immunocompromised (for whatever reason, be it HIV/AIDS, Chemo/radiation treatment, or immunosuppressant medication) or who have a variety of other conditions which make them susceptible to respiratory problems.
I am not a doctor, but I would consider those people at elevated risk of a more serious problem than someone we would consider in normal good health.

The question in my mind is why have so many young and healthy people died in China, like the Dr. that first raised the alarm there and was arrested? He should have had plenty of medical resources available to him - if he wasn't sitting in a prison cell.

Online Smokin Joe

The question in my mind is why have so many young and healthy people died in China, like the Dr. that first raised the alarm there and was arrested? He should have had plenty of medical resources available to him - if he wasn't sitting in a prison cell.
There are as many factors as we do not have answers to our questions.
It appears victims are young and healthy, but living in an environment where air pollution tends to be incredible by American standards. Healthy, in that environment is relative.
Add to that questionable medical care, possibly influenced by political factors, especially considering he was arrested.

Initial infections, if lab 'escapes', may have had an initial viral load far in excess of that normally acquired through ordinary communication means, overwhelming the immune system, rather than it having the ordinary time to ramp up if the initial infection had been a few virii.

It is also possible that the earliest infections involved a virus which has evolved somewhat to be more communicable but less lethal (a common trade off with viruses).

Now, these are speculation, I am not a medical doctor, just an old EMT who has done a little reading here and there.

C S Lewis

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/
Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old   
no fatalities
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DB

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/
Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old   
no fatalities

Thank you for the numbers but I'm specifically talking about China. And with China there's no reason to believe any numbers they officially provide.

Thank you for the numbers but I'm specifically talking about China. And with China there's no reason to believe any numbers they officially provide.
If you don't have reason to believe the numbers coming out of China, where did you get the idea of so many young people dying anyway?

Got a non-governmental source somewhere?

Offline DB

If you don't have reason to believe the numbers coming out of China, where did you get the idea of so many young people dying anyway?

Got a non-governmental source somewhere?

I don't have any valid numbers. Didn't say I did. It has been widely reported that a number of people like the Dr. that raised the alarm died from this. They were young healthy people as far as we know. Do you believe China's officially reported numbers?

I don't have any valid numbers. Didn't say I did. It has been widely reported that a number of people like the Dr. that raised the alarm died from this. They were young healthy people as far as we know. Do you believe China's officially reported numbers?
Likely not, as I have no inside scoop.

Just thought you might somehow.

There are likely outsiders that know.

Offline NavyCanDo

it was here in my home state of WA so we I am am sure are hearing more details. He had underlying health concerns before contacting the virus. The normal flu could have ended his life just as easy.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn