Author Topic: College accused of ‘cultural appropriation’ after ‘mostly white’ choir sings black spirituals  (Read 355 times)

rangerrebew

College accused of ‘cultural appropriation’ after ‘mostly white’ choir sings black spirituals
College Fix Staff •February 25, 2020

The Western Michigan University School of Music stands accused of “cultural appropriation” after a concert featured a “mostly white” choir performing African-American spirituals.

Last week’s performance, “Spirituals: From Ship to Shore,” featured Salisbury University’s John Wesley Wright, who’s black. According to the university, Wright is “known for his artistic and soulful interpretations of music from Baroque to Broadway,” WKZO reports.

The WMU student paper Western Herald notes Wright said the songs were performed “for everyone,” and “have no ethnicity.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/college-accused-of-cultural-appropriation-after-mostly-white-choir-sings-black-spirituals/

rangerrebew

I wonder what these same people would say about a black choir singing "Amazing Grace" which not only was written by white man but a slave trader as well.  My guess would be they would say nothing. :pondering:

Offline skeeter

I wonder what these same people would say about a black choir singing "Amazing Grace" which not only was written by white man but a slave trader as well.  My guess would be they would say nothing. :pondering:

"Cultural appropriation" only goes one way.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That's odd. 20 years, ago, they were insisting we 'mostly white' choirs sing spirituals and black music to teach us diversity. I remember having to sing that sort of stuff almost every concert as a middle schooler.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024