Author Topic: Oregon’s Tsunami Risk: We Are Turning Our Backs on You  (Read 352 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Oregon’s Tsunami Risk: We Are Turning Our Backs on You
« on: February 28, 2020, 12:20:55 am »
Strange Sounds Feb 27, 2020

Other than asteroid strikes and atomic bombs, there is no more destructive force on this planet than water.

But Oregon’s message to its residents seems clear: we are turning our backs on danger; we are turning our backs on the future; we are turning our backs on you.

Oregon Governor overturns law

Last year, the governor of Oregon signed a law that, among other things, overturns a 1995 prohibition on constructing new public facilities within the tsunami-inundation zone.

When the law, known as HB 3309, goes into effect, municipalities will be free to build schools, hospitals, prisons, other high-occupancy buildings, firehouses, and police stations in areas that will be destroyed when the tsunami strikes.

Put differently, the law makes it perfectly legal to use public funds to place vulnerable populations — together with the people professionally charged with responding to emergencies and saving lives — in one of the riskiest places on earth.

That is not an exaggeration. If there is anything that my reporting on the Cascadia subduction zone made horrifyingly clear, it is that, when the tsunami hits, virtually nothing and almost no one within the inundation zone will survive.

There aren’t many injuries in the tsunami zone. People just die. Those who are in it when the earthquake starts will have just ten to thirty minutes to evacuate.

More: https://strangesounds.org/2020/02/oregon-tsunami-risk-cascadia-earthquake.html

Offline EdinVA

Re: Oregon’s Tsunami Risk: We Are Turning Our Backs on You
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 12:26:26 am »
Ah, the left coast elites are at it again.....

They will come with hat in hand for the rest of us to rebuild their damn buildings soon...  and blame it on Trump

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Oregon’s Tsunami Risk: We Are Turning Our Backs on You
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 01:28:05 am »
Hilo, HI set aside the Tsunami abatement zone decades ago after a major one in the early 60's.  I was there in 1985, and the shoreline was empty.  I went there again about 15 years later, and it was all high-rise Hotels. 

Damned fools.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: