Author Topic: Court hands Trump win in sanctuary city fight, says administration can deny grant money  (Read 685 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Court Rules Trump Admin Can Withhold Federal Grants to NYC, Seven States over Sanctuary Policies

A federal court on Wednesday ruled that the Trump administration could withhold grants to New York City, as well as seven states, due to their refusal to cooperate with the federal immigration enforcement efforts.

The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan ruled that the federal government could withhold funds from New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Washington, Massachusetts, Virginia and Rhode Island, over the states’ “sanctuary” laws. The states currently contain a number of cities, including New York City, with laws preventing local authorities from notifying Immigration and Customs Enforcement when an illegal immigrant is about to be released from jail...

Excerpt: https://www.nationalreview.com/news/court-rules-trump-admin-can-withhold-federal-grants-to-nyc-seven-states-over-sanctuary-policies/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Elections have consequences.

Hat tip to Cocaine Mitch for the assist.
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Court hands Trump win in sanctuary city fight, says administration can deny grant money

By Adam Shaw, Bill Mears | Fox News

A federal appeals court on Wednesday handed a major win to the Trump administration in its fight against “sanctuary” jurisdictions, ruling that it can deny grant money to states that refuse to cooperate with federal immigration authorities.

The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals in New York overturned a lower court ruling that stopped the administration’s 2017 move to withhold grant money from the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program, which dispenses over $250 million a year to state and local criminal justice efforts.

“Today’s decision rightfully recognizes the lawful authority of the Attorney General to ensure that Department of Justice grant recipients are not at the same time thwarting federal law enforcement priorities,” a DOJ spokesman said in a statement. “The grant conditions here require states and cities that receive DOJ grants to share information about criminals in custody.  The federal government uses this information to enforce national immigration laws--policies supported by successive Democrat and Republican administrations.”

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/court-hands-trump-win-in-sanctuary-city-grant
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It appears perhaps that Trump's judicial appointments, are having a positive impact.

Also see 9th District.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

It appears perhaps that Trump's judicial appointments, are having a positive impact.

Also see 9th District.

Try seeing the 2nd district first.  The ruling was from WINTER, CABRANES, and RAGGI  http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/isysquery/938760e2-db28-4f77-a332-f91053927d16/2/doc/19-267_opn.pdf

All appointed before Trump.  http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/judges/judges.html

Congrats to President Trump on getting unjustified credit from his colossally predictable sycophantic fan club.

Offline skeeter

Try seeing the 2nd district first.  The ruling was from WINTER, CABRANES, and RAGGI  http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/isysquery/938760e2-db28-4f77-a332-f91053927d16/2/doc/19-267_opn.pdf

All appointed before Trump.  http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/judges/judges.html

Congrats to President Trump on getting unjustified credit from his colossally predictable sycophantic fan club.
Well, it was Trump adminstration's attorneys arguing the case.

Never mind.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Well, it was Trump adminstration's attorneys arguing the case.

Never mind.

I was commenting on Trump's judicial appointments, but fair point and good on Barr if that helps us reach an understanding.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Appeals Court: Trump Can Withhold Funding from Sanctuary Cities
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 01:49:44 am »
A federal appellate court on Wednesday ruled that President Trump’s administration can, in fact, withhold federal funds from sanctuary jurisdictions that insist on shielding criminal illegal aliens from arrest and deportation.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruled that the Trump administration has the authority to withhold federal grant money from sanctuary jurisdictions due to their failure to meet federal requirements that include abiding by federal immigration law.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/26/appeals-court-trump-can-withhold-funding-from-sanctuary-cities/
Are we slowly returning to the rule of law?

This should kick the hell out of the liberals as monies dry up.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Appeals Court: Trump Can Withhold Funding from Sanctuary Cities
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 02:25:53 am »
Start doing this IMMEDIATELY.
Cancel any payments in progress!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 03:20:37 am »
The big question, will Trump be bold enough to withhold funds?  I seriously doubt it.  Much of his bluster is like the ape beating his chest, yet that is all you get.

I doubt he takes on the swamp and withholds fund before the November election.  Afterwards, who knows!

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 03:28:38 am »
The big question, will Trump be bold enough to withhold funds?  I seriously doubt it.  Much of his bluster is like the ape beating his chest, yet that is all you get.

I doubt he takes on the swamp and withholds fund before the November election.  Afterwards, who knows!

I hope you're kidding...because NOBODY has shaken up the swamp the way Trump has these past 3 years. Not even Reagan. There's a reason they've been coming after him with guns blazing and conspiracy theories flying...he is gradually and methodically beating them to a pulp. No one can fully drain the DC swamp, where there's power there will ALWAYS be some corruption...but the President has done more than ANY of his predecessors.

Many seem to think the President can simply order the swamp drain...issuing directives like Stalin and purging his enemies...the truth is less exciting. The President, as he should be, is constrained by the Law and by the limits of what is politically achievable....but he has pushed both those limitations as far as is humanly possible. Contrary to an absurd description of "beating his chest" and accomplishing little, the man has been tenacious and persistent in assaulting the swamp itself.

As for waiting until November to really use this decision in a powerful way...heck yes he'd be wise to wait. He's heading for a big win at this point...you don't risk blowing that when waiting half a year buys you real space to get these sanctuaries back operating under the rule of law.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:34:02 am by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 03:51:58 am »
I do not wish to take anything away from what he has accomplished to date.  But certainly you have noticed that his impact over the past year in dealing with the swamp has shall we say weakened.  Now, perhaps it is because they have been brutal in coming at him.  I just know his efforts have slackened in the last year.  And yes, I would not expect him to shut off the tap of funds until after November.  However, assuming he wins, watch for the swamp to hit him with one lawsuit after another to halt his efforts.  Even more than the first term, because they know he will end his presidency in January, 2025.

It will be impede his every step.  Tie him in knots.  Perot's infamous gridlock!

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 04:08:10 am »
I do not wish to take anything away from what he has accomplished to date.  But certainly you have noticed that his impact over the past year in dealing with the swamp has shall we say weakened.  Now, perhaps it is because they have been brutal in coming at him.  I just know his efforts have slackened in the last year.  And yes, I would not expect him to shut off the tap of funds until after November.  However, assuming he wins, watch for the swamp to hit him with one lawsuit after another to halt his efforts.  Even more than the first term, because they know he will end his presidency in January, 2025.

It will be impede his every step.  Tie him in knots.  Perot's infamous gridlock!

I don't believe his impact has slackened, but any low hanging fruit was likely taken down in the first year or two...and its simply more difficult to make progress. This is MUCH more of a marathon fight than a sprint and its going to take time and a methodical deconstruction to continue weakening the swamp...things like the Durham investigation may powerfully advance the draining but will take time for example. I do agree with you that the President won't take strong action on Sanctuary cities until after November...which is the smart tactic.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 04:40:14 am »

He better.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline PeteS in CA

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/02/a-legal-blow-to-sanctuary-jurisdictions.php

A LEGAL BLOW TO “SANCTUARY” JURISDICTIONS

The back story includes three prior Court of Appeals decisions going against the administration: the 9th Circuit, the 3rd Circuit, and the 7th Circuit. So today’s decision creates a split among the circuits that pretty much guarantees the issue will be settled by the Supreme Court.

Looks like the Sanctuary-loving Hate-Trumpers may have over-reached.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.