Author Topic: Republican wants air bow hunting expanded  (Read 812 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Republican wants air bow hunting expanded
« on: February 26, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »
Michigan Advance By Anna Liz Nichols -February 25, 2020

Under current law, residents with certain disabilities often are excluded from hunting in Michigan due to weapons restrictions and hunting seasons. State Rep. Beau LaFave (R-Iron Mountain) testified in front of the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday for his bill expanding regulations to accommodate those with disabilities.

LaFave, who is a vocal supporter of gun rights, brought an air bow — with permission — to show the committee how individuals who only have the use of one hand can use the air bow instead of a crossbow, which requires two hands.

Currently, air bows are classified under “pneumatic guns” by the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act (NREPA) as an implement designed as a gun that expels a bolt or arrow using carbon dioxide. Pneumatic guns are restricted to regular firearms season Nov. 15 to 30 and muzzleloading season in December. Air bows cannot be used during archery season Oct. 1 to Nov. 14 and Dec. 1 to Jan. 1.

”Individuals with a disability cannot, under Michigan law, go bow hunting in our bow hunting season,” LaFave said. “I think that is blatant discrimination against the Americans with Disabilities Act and we need to rectify that situation.”

More: https://www.michiganadvance.com/2020/02/25/republican-wants-air-bow-hunting-expanded/

The article describes the "Air-Bow" as powered by CO2.  There may be some, but I believe most are powered by high pressure air up to 3,000 psi. I believe one of the first ones on the market was based on a modified .40 cal PCP air rifle.

The hunting regs in Texas are similar. They are restricted to the regular firearm hunting season.