Author Topic: Why the Most Dreaded Injection is Called the 'Peanut Butter' Shot  (Read 235 times)

rangerrebew

Why the Most Dreaded Injection is Called the 'Peanut Butter' Shot

10 Feb 2020
We Are The Mighty | By Tim Kirkpatrick

Every recruit, in the first few weeks of boot camp, will get in a line during their medical evaluations and get stuck in the arm with all sorts of needles and have thermometers shoved into some uncomfortable places.

Welcome to the military!

Out of all the medications recruits get injected with throughout their processing week, none of them are as feared as the almighty "peanut butter" shot.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/2020/02/10/why-most-dreaded-injection-called-peanut-butter-shot.html

rangerrebew

Re: Why the Most Dreaded Injection is Called the 'Peanut Butter' Shot
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:53:41 pm »
I well remember that shot.  When you first see the tube and needle it looks somewhat normal.  After it is injected, you would swear that needle was about 2 feet long.  The real big fear was the corpsman would break the needle in your butt and they would have to dig it out.  That "delightful" experience seemed to be not as unusual as you would think. :poohappen:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Why the Most Dreaded Injection is Called the 'Peanut Butter' Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 02:16:28 pm »
I remember that bicillin shot very well.

I was standing barracks guard duty and they sent back someone to relieve me. I humped over to Medical and as soon as I got there, I dropped my drawers and they injected that thick instant fire into me. I had a top bunk and the next morning when I jumped out my leg gave out and I hit the deck. I definitely hobbled for a day or two.

Our company was the first our CC led in 10 yrs. His goal was for no one to be left behind. We had a whole bunch of recruits that had GCT/ARI scores down into the twenties. I was one of only a single handful that had scores in the 70's. So we were the ones that held all the watches. All the night watches so all the rest could get a good nite sleep. All the day watches so they wouldn't miss any training sessions. I would even hold evening group discussions over what went over in training that I didn't even go to. Our Company and our Sister Co  were tied for the bottom in competitions. I received no firearms training, but had to qualify. So they sent a recruit back to the barracks to relieve me. I humped to the range. They handed me a rifle and I was still breathing hard. And Damn, I let one shot drift out to the 9 ring. If I could of hit all ten in the bull I would have gotten a weekend pass. Such was my experience in boot camp.  Our CC was able to not leave any recruit behind. We even were able to pick up a recruit that had been in boot camp for 10 months or so. He had been left back so many times. He graduated with us as well.