Author Topic: NY county tries to ban smoking… in your own home  (Read 781 times)

rangerrebew

NY county tries to ban smoking… in your own home
« on: February 20, 2020, 03:17:12 pm »
NY county tries to ban smoking… in your own home

Jazz ShawPosted at 8:01 am on February 20, 2020

Suffolk County, located on Long Island, is on a self-described mission to be the “most progressive county in the state.” (And since we’re talking about New York, there’s some stiff competition for the title.) With that in mind, county legislators are now considering a new ban on smoking cigarettes and other tobacco products. While it’s already forbidden to smoke in most public places, the new effort would apply to smoking in your own home. If that sounds a bit too intrusive to you, you’re probably not alone. But the author of the bill insists that his reasoning is sound. (CBS New York)

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/02/20/ny-county-tries-ban-smoking-home/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: NY county tries to ban smoking… in your own home
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 03:26:05 pm »
While this is definitely speaks of nanny state, ask any realtor how difficult it is to sell a house that had a smoker living in it.

I know the apartment I moved into required a non smoking clause.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 03:46:33 pm »
I chuckled when I read this. All I could picture is a bunch of adults hiding behind the tool shed to 'sneak a smoke'.
This is more than the so called 'Nanny State'. This is a 'Mommy State', where the State assumes the duty of being mother to every person, including grown adults. If they can order you to stop smoking, then they can order you to stop drinking, to only eat vetted 'permitted' foods, when to shower and when to go to bed, by force of Law.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 06:11:11 pm »
While this is definitely speaks of nanny state, ask any realtor how difficult it is to sell a house that had a smoker living in it.

I know the apartment I moved into required a non smoking clause.

When it comes to single-family (= detached) homes, that's pretty much self-inflicted damage. Basically a non-smoking new buyer would have to rip out existing carpet and wallpaper, remove any "popcorn ceiling", replace all drapes, and repaint, possibly with multiple coats.

But what I bolded is what the proposed ordinance is targeting:

Hoping to be the most progressive county in the state, Suffolk County is proposing a law that would snuff out secondhand smoke in apartment complexes, condominiums, and multi-family dwellings.

These often share AC/heating ducting, and odors can go through walls, ceilings, and floors. And as you posted, many leases have similar requirements. I'm not defending the proposed ordinance, just pointing out that it is less irrational than the first paragraph of the article might (inadvertently, probably) suggest. I do, however, have total faith in government's ability to overstep, and to add irrationality on to what was originally somewhat rational. :sarc:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 07:46:18 pm »
If they can order you to stop smoking, then they can order you to stop drinking, to only eat vetted 'permitted' foods, when to shower and when to go to bed, by force of Law.

@240B

And they will. They just have to get this passed and accepted first. Wasn't it Chairman Mao that made the Long March by taking the First Step?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:02:59 pm »
@240B

And they will. They just have to get this passed and accepted first. Wasn't it Chairman Mao that made the Long March by taking the First Step?
Bloomberg has already started this kind of, We know what's best for you, government. He has regulated by law how big a soda can be, how much salt can be used in a dish, how many calories are allowed per serving, etc. This is mothering not governing.

And Bloomberg is the chief Mother Hen of America. "I just want to take care of my children. I know what's best for them."
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 11:38:05 pm »
If that is what the people of this community want, they will bear the weight of their own chains.
Perhaps they gain comfort from that. It is amazing to me how many precedents are set by those who 'don't want' or 'don't like', and who are later amazed and incensed when it is their turn to give up something they DO want or like.

While the war on tobacco continues, I must note that I have had occasion to enter apartment buildings where entire floors (hallways, at least) reeked of marijuana smoke (even though it is illegal here).

Why one would prefer smelling like skunk to catching a whiff of tobacco is beyond me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline darroll

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 12:11:43 am »
We can all quit smoking and take up listening to liberal promises. (If I smoked)(anything)

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 12:50:55 am »
We can all quit smoking and take up listening to liberal promises. (If I smoked)(anything)
More 'pipe dreams'....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 01:05:56 am »
Bloomberg has already started this kind of, We know what's best for you, government. He has regulated by law how big a soda can be, how much salt can be used in a dish, how many calories are allowed per serving, etc. This is mothering not governing.

And Bloomberg is the chief Mother Hen of America. "I just want to take care of my children. I know what's best for them."

He's a mother, all right...
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 01:19:47 am »
Funny story about Bloomberg which shows how far away he is from normal reality is about a food drive. People were donating food for the poor and the homeless. Bloomberg had people go through the donations and to expunge anything that had (in his arbitrary opinion) too much fat, sugar, or too much salt. What an idiot. What a fool.

What do starving or hungry people need more than anything? FAT and SALT and SUGAR
You Mother Goose dumbass! Bloomberg was depriving hungry people of the very thing they need the most, out of some misguided idea that fat and salt and sugar are alway a bad thing. They are poison, according to his own warped thinking.

It immediately reminded me of retarded 'vegans' who starve their infants to death because they refuse to give real milk. Because FAT is BAD! SALT is BAD! SUGAR is BAD! Humans, especially infants and starving people, cannot survive without it.

Liberals in general just have to be born with less brain cells than a normal person. They have to be. That would make a great scientific study.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 01:35:21 am »
Funny story about Bloomberg which shows how far away he is from normal reality is about a food drive. People were donating food for the poor and the homeless. Bloomberg had people go through the donations and to expunge anything that had (in his arbitrary opinion) too much fat, sugar, or too much salt. What an idiot. What a fool.

What do starving or hungry people need more than anything? FAT and SALT and SUGAR
You Mother Goose dumbass! Bloomberg was depriving hungry people of the very thing they need the most, out of some misguided idea that fat and salt and sugar are alway a bad thing. They are poison, according to his own warped thinking.

It immediately reminded me of retarded 'vegans' who starve their infants to death because they refuse to give real milk. Because FAT is BAD! SALT is BAD! SUGAR is BAD! Humans, especially infants and starving people, cannot survive without it.

Liberals in general just have to be born with less brain cells than a normal person. They have to be. That would make a great scientific study.
I don;t think they have any fewer brain cells. I think it is either a question of what they choose to do with them, or if they aren't wired right. From their collective behaviours, my bet is on the latter.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 02:13:14 am »
Montgomery County Maryland tried this about 20 years ago.  It didn't end well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!