Author Topic: The Price of DNA Sequencing Dropped From $2.7 Billion to $300 in Less Than 20 Years  (Read 1441 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
OneZero by Emily Mullin 2/18/2020

You can access your entire genetic makeup for less than the price of an Apple Watch

Genome sequencing was once impossibly expensive. The Human Genome Project, an international effort to decode the human genome that launched in 1990, took 13 years and an estimated $2.7 billion to complete. Then, in 2007, DNA pioneer James Watson became the first person to get his genome sequenced for less than $1 million. Since then, the cost of genome sequencing has been decreasing at a rate faster than Moore’s law.

Now, Nebula Genomics, a spinout of Harvard University co-founded by geneticist George Church, is launching an at-home test for less than the price of the latest Apple Watch. At $299, Nebula’s service analyzes a person’s entire genetic code, known as whole genome sequencing.

Nebula’s sequencing is a much more comprehensive test than the ones offered by companies like 23andMe and Ancestry, which use a different technique called genotyping. Genotyping looks at only a small part of the genome. For instance, 23andMe’s $199 health and ancestry test reports on a handful of genetic variants associated with about a dozen health conditions. Sequencing looks at all of a person’s genes and their variants. It’s the difference between reading a few pages versus an entire book.

Nebula’s sequencing is a much more comprehensive test than the ones offered by companies like 23andMe and AncestryDNA.

In 2016, Boston-based Veritas Genetics, also co-founded by Church, was the first company to break the much-hyped $1,000 threshold for genome sequencing. Last year, Veritas slashed that price to $599, crediting automation for the drop. But at the end of 2019, the company abruptly shut down U.S. operations after what the startup called an “unexpected adverse financing situation.”

More:https://onezero.medium.com/the-price-of-dna-sequencing-dropped-from-2-7-billion-to-300-in-less-than-20-years-f5e07c2f18b4

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
OneZero by Emily Mullin 2/18/2020

Could be the Holy Grail for genealogist, if very specific gene sequences can be established for those who lived in the past.  I use all three (23/Me, Ancestry, FTDNA), and there are still quirks that make you question results and matches, of say past the 3rd or 4th cousin range.

With enough collaborative imput, good genealogical techniques, and work an ancestor database could be established via triangulation of common descendents.    I do this, on a much simplier scale now, with comparing new matches to notes established for common matches.  Has worked very well, and have knocked down about 3 or 4 genealogical brick walls that way.  Has also allowed me to help many many others too. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Isn't this like comparing the price of the first barrel of crude oil from a well to the price of the 1,000th barrel?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Isn't this like comparing the price of the first barrel of crude oil from a well to the price of the 1,000th barrel?

Not a comparison at all. There is no technological change from the capture of the 1st barrel to the 1,000th barrel.

Offline Hoodat

Damn that capitalism.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Not a comparison at all. There is no technological change from the capture of the 1st barrel to the 1,000th barrel.

Not my point.  Only the first barrel of oil includes the entire price of exploration.  Same for the first mapping of the Genome.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm waiting until they give it away with Happy Meals.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis