Author Topic: How To Upgrade To Windows 10 For ‘Free’ In 2020  (Read 2513 times)

Online roamer_1

How To Upgrade To Windows 10 For ‘Free’ In 2020
« on: February 17, 2020, 03:51:49 pm »

BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!

Notes by roamer_1 :

Any Win7 or Win8 - Make sure you have your key (usually on a sticker on the box, on the bottom on a laptop) and that it is legible. If you do not, let me know and I will point you to a tool to suck it out of the operating system... You probably will not need it but in some cases you will. After the key is written down:

Go to this article by Forbes and follow the simple instructions.
How To Upgrade To Windows 10 For ‘Free’ In 2020 [Updated] -by Gordon Kelly

Expect an hour or so. Less with good broadband and more powerful machine. 99 times out of 100 it is a very painless experience.

Cautions:
If presented with a choice, you want the 64bit version.

You will get the same version of Windows that you already have (Home, Pro, etc)

Some programs may be disabled, and may not work on reinstall, though many will. Don;t try to reinstall until Win10 is fully installed and up to date.

Sometimes (very seldom) it does not work. Often it can then be reverted to Win7, but sometimes not... In that case, the machine will have to be completely reinstalled, wherein Win10 will work in most cases.

Sometimes it gets your win7 key automatically, sometimes it doesn't. If it didn't you'll have to enter the key during the activation step as mentioned.

After installation, during setup:

Say no to Cortana. Alright, you can say what you want, but having an open mike in my house just for the stupid pet tricks Cortana can do... Nope.

It will try like crazy to get you to sign up with a microsoft ID - This means your machine will sign into microsoft every time you log in, which can be handy what with the spiffs that come with it, like automatically syncing your user between machines - any hotmail.com, live.com, or outlook.com email will do, but I highly recommend you do NOT... In the lower corner there is an opt out, and you DO want to opt out, at which point your local user will be used, or if installing new, the opportunity to create a local user will be presented.

You will come to an extensive set of toggles asking for permission to do stuff - NO to all, and page-down - There's more of em than you think. This will shut off a whole lot of the bells and whistles, and make it a bit harder on the back end to say, get the mike and cam running in Skype or something, but well worth it to get as locked down as possible right off the get-go.

The rest of the install is pretty benign. Just follow the instructions

Do not worry if it's a little wonky to start with... Make sure it is fully updated before worrying about the graphics being weird or the sound not working... Drivers will be updated as it goes along, and things will generally get better.

After it is up and running, and has reached a fully updated status, you will probably want to install ShutUp10 to restore privacy and quite a bit of performance, and AppBuster to control all those goofy apps windows shoves down your throat... I'll write a separate post regarding that, and link to it in the comments below.

Online roamer_1

Re: How To Upgrade To Windows 10 For ‘Free’ In 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 04:00:29 pm »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 05:12:34 pm »
 :2popcorn:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 05:26:05 pm »
??

It's easier than typing "Bkmk."

I'd be interested in getting the Win10 License Key out of my computer.  None of my laptops have the sticker.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 05:43:37 pm »

I'd be interested in getting the Win10 License Key out of my computer.  None of my laptops have the sticker.

I use Enchanted Keyfinder, which is a fork of the venerable Jellybean Keyfinder ... Pardon the Major Geeks link, but trying to talk ppl through the DL at Source Forge would be pitiable.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/enchanted_keyfinder.html

Portable. Unzip it into a folder and run. Delete when done (no registry keys).
Sniffs more than winders, so careful plz.

btw, also works offline... You have to select offline mode and point it at the SAM, but it will peel it off a hard drive in a toaster if you need it to... Also runs fine in a miniwin environment...

Might be handy to disable virus protection as they will often detect it as a bug - It ain't, it just does what bugs do... And MS hates keyfinders.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 05:49:28 pm »

BTW... Win10 does not need a sticker... Its key is tied to your hardware - It has to phone home and will activate it automagically.

On a fresh install, select 'I don't have a key' at the bottom of the page asking for a key and it will go get it from MS. That works ONLY if the box has had Win10 on it previously.

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 06:34:11 pm »
B - O - O - K - M - A - R - K

Got some spare PCs back at site that I can try this on.  Will let you know how it goes.  Thank you, Mr. Roamer sir.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:23:22 pm »
   Great writeup @roamer_1
   I am working on my 38th Win7/Win10 upgrade today.  Started in Nov. I've found some cheaper PC's and Laptops, Acer, Gateway, Lenovo and some older HP's etc. will not upgrade, your tip last summer saved my customers $1000's.  Usually I say it's a Russian hack but I give you full credit, everytime.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:37:16 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 08:03:47 pm »
   Great writeup @roamer_1
   I am working on my 38th Win7/Win10 upgrade today.  Started in Nov. I've found some cheaper PC's and Laptops, Acer, Gateway, Lenovo and some older HP's etc. will not upgrade, your tip last summer saved my customers $1000's.  Usually I say it's a Russian hack but I give you full credit, everytime.

A LOT of times, if they won't take an upgrade, you can rub em off and start from scratch and it will take.

That being said Win10 is the best so far at upgrading cleanly. Prior to 10 I would always rub em off and reinstall clean to change version or type (home, pro, etc)...  I am currently updating all of mine to pro - I am addicted to RDP, and I am also converting to server/client here at the homestead. 10 doggone boxen and I am still in workgroup.  **nononono*

Not only are these upgraded from 7 (most of em), but they go painlessly to Pro just providing a pro key.  Win10 is great that way.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 08:13:44 pm »
Lol, still on XP computer running the last known browser that still works for me...

Great writeup Roamer.... You Rock sir !

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mypal.html
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 08:14:29 pm »
 :crossed:
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 08:22:29 pm »
Lol, still on XP computer running the last known browser that still works for me...

Great writeup Roamer.... You Rock sir !

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mypal.html

LOL!  :beer:

Seriously d00d. You could buy a win7 box for about 50 bucks and have so much more machine... If you are worried about privacy, load it up with Linux Mint and rock on! Hardware is so stinkin cheap on the used market, I don't know why you don't

Seriously man... It's dead, Jim.   :cool:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 08:25:11 pm »
LOL!  :beer:

Seriously d00d. You could buy a win7 box for about 50 bucks and have so much more machine... If you are worried about privacy, load it up with Linux Mint and rock on! Hardware is so stinkin cheap on the used market, I don't know why you don't

Seriously man... It's dead, Jim.   :cool:

I like Mint.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 09:08:47 pm »
I like Mint.

Me too - Except on the TVs Ubuntu is nice for that...
Don't have either right now... I have one BSD box going here, and everything else is winders.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 01:01:09 am »
I'll try this on an old T9400 Vista laptop - only 4GB DDR2 but 18" FHD, BD reader and good WiFi so I might be able to get some use out of it. Thanks...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 03:33:33 am »
I'll try this on an old T9400 Vista laptop - only 4GB DDR2 but 18" FHD, BD reader and good WiFi so I might be able to get some use out of it. Thanks...

Will not work on Vista - If it is loaded with 7, it will work... Or, of you have a valid Win7 key, you can scrub it off, Scratch load it with 10, and feed that 7 key to the fresh install - That works too.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 01:42:23 pm »
Will not work on Vista - If it is loaded with 7, it will work... Or, of you have a valid Win7 key, you can scrub it off, Scratch load it with 10, and feed that 7 key to the fresh install - That works too.

Sorry to hear that- would have been nice to try win10 on it...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 11:59:55 pm »
SUCCESS!!!!

My ancient Toshiba laptop is now Windows 10’nd!!  :beer:

Thanks again @roamer_1 !!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 12:02:54 am »
I might update Mrs. Liberty's Lenovo laptop. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 12:30:16 am »

:2popcorn:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 12:50:38 am »
SUCCESS!!!!

My ancient Toshiba laptop is now Windows 10’nd!!  :beer:

Thanks again @roamer_1 !!!

888high58888

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 02:10:41 am »
I am in. Did the backup. It wiped everything but my personal files, but there was crap on here I've been meaning to be rid of. Had to reinstall the web stuff I wanted. Firefox, Avast, VLC media player. I have a Photoshop type editing program I reinstalled. And a movie edit program disc around here somewhere. My boss just paid MS to upgrade his. I've been looking at refurbished computers, just in case, for the past month. That is what this is. A little refurbished HP Slimline from Newegg, 28" Vizio TV on clearance at Wallyworld, and a wireless mouse and keyboard from Bestbuy. At the time it cost me about $220 for the package.

Got it upgraded to 10 Pro from 7 Pro.

Thanks, @roamer_1
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley