Author Topic: Am I the only one having major problems with FireFox?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Am I the only one having major problems with FireFox?
« on: February 15, 2020, 05:19:42 pm »
The title sums it up. Started two days ago with not wanting to load. Once I loaded it,all I got was a blank page. Didn't even have bookmarks,and typing in URL's did no good.

Finally had to resort to MS Edge to get here,and now I am more confused than ever.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

Re: Am I the only one having major problems with FireFox?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 05:29:13 pm »
The title sums it up. Started two days ago with not wanting to load. Once I loaded it,all I got was a blank page. Didn't even have bookmarks,and typing in URL's did no good.

Finally had to resort to MS Edge to get here,and now I am more confused than ever.

You have more problems with FF than anyone I know @sneakypete

DO THIS:

Open FF.
Press 'Alt' a couple times... See how it toggles the menu at the top left?

So press 'Alt' to expose the menu. Choose 'Help' => 'Troubleshooting Information'.

In the resulting page, there is a button that says 'Refresh Firefox' in the top right quadrant.
Mash that and follow the instructions.

Resets FF to factory. You will lose extensions and customization, but your bookmarks should be fine.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 05:44:16 pm »
You have more problems with FF than anyone I know @sneakypete

DO THIS:

Open FF.
Press 'Alt' a couple times... See how it toggles the menu at the top left?

So press 'Alt' to expose the menu. Choose 'Help' => 'Troubleshooting Information'.

In the resulting page, there is a button that says 'Refresh Firefox' in the top right quadrant.
Mash that and follow the instructions.

Resets FF to factory. You will lose extensions and customization, but your bookmarks should be fine.

I've done this, and I've come to the conclusion that if you have something in your preferences that is causing trouble, it gets replicated when you have FF push an update.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:58:38 pm »
I've done this, and I've come to the conclusion that if you have something in your preferences that is causing trouble, it gets replicated when you have FF push an update.

Then it is a user level issue, which is also easy to fix:

Start=>Run => Firefox --profilemanager

Using the resulting dialog, you can create and delete profiles.
I use this to move the profile to '%user%\Archives\Firefox' to get it into my backup routine.

Create your user profile in a similar way, add your extensions, bookmarks, and such, shut off firefox, and zip that pristine profile for a clean replacement. Otherwise, use FF as you will, and back up the profile folder with the rest of your stuff... That should give you a near-time backup to restore for most problems.

If that is something that interests you or anyone else, there is one other little problem - you need to remove the Firefox temp cache out of the user directory... I put it in C:\Temp\Firefox which requires a  java script I can provide... Just drop that in the root of the user profile run firefox once, check to make sure it formed the new location, and delete the original cache folder from the profile.

Easy stuff.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 06:09:51 pm »
Back before I built my current machine I was running on an old Dell that my daughter was given at work. They were getting rid of them. With each Firefox update it would get more and more sluggish. I ended up loading an ESR version of Firefox and it ran much better on that machine. You could give it a try.

You could get an ESR version to install here:https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-esr

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 07:10:24 pm »
I moved the cache off my paltry 512GB boot SSD with the about:config setting browser.cache.disk.parent_directory - IIRC search didn't find it and I had to create it but I might be thinking of a different setting. I also moved the download folder...

Then it is a user level issue, which is also easy to fix:

Start=>Run => Firefox --profilemanager

Using the resulting dialog, you can create and delete profiles.
I use this to move the profile to '%user%\Archives\Firefox' to get it into my backup routine.

Create your user profile in a similar way, add your extensions, bookmarks, and such, shut off firefox, and zip that pristine profile for a clean replacement. Otherwise, use FF as you will, and back up the profile folder with the rest of your stuff... That should give you a near-time backup to restore for most problems.

If that is something that interests you or anyone else, there is one other little problem - you need to remove the Firefox temp cache out of the user directory... I put it in C:\Temp\Firefox which requires a  java script I can provide... Just drop that in the root of the user profile run firefox once, check to make sure it formed the new location, and delete the original cache folder from the profile.

Easy stuff.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 07:29:25 pm »
I moved the cache off my paltry 512GB boot SSD with the about:config setting browser.cache.disk.parent_directory - IIRC search didn't find it and I had to create it but I might be thinking of a different setting. I also moved the download folder...

Excellent. Thank you. I never had to learn it because a file named user.js - The old way of doing it - still works. And from a tech point of view, where installing is concerned, the user.js script can be dropped automatically, which I do by batch... If there is another way to monkey with about:config in a similar automated fashion, I am not aware of it.  :shrug:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file

'Downloads' I believe is not for std downloads - I may be wrong in that, because my convention is to operate out of %user%\downloads... I think 'downloads' is for extensions and updates, which I don't mind included in the profile... I have not noticed 'downloads' growing/changing as the cache obviously does. In terms of backing up the data, where only new or changed are copied, the cache was the dilemma.

:beer: :seeya:

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 09:15:11 pm »
I just changed the folder in tools>options>general and they seem to be going there OK.

The tedious part was changing Thunderbird's local store folders for my dozen or so email accounts - you have to close and reopen after each change, then it re-downloads the contents.

Anyway they're all on a 2.5" hybrid 1TB drive now - seems to be work well for this kind of content.

Another option for relocating stuff that isn't configurable - e.g. game saves - is symbolic links...

Excellent. Thank you. I never had to learn it because a file named user.js - The old way of doing it - still works. And from a tech point of view, where installing is concerned, the user.js script can be dropped automatically, which I do by batch... If there is another way to monkey with about:config in a similar automated fashion, I am not aware of it.  :shrug:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file

'Downloads' I believe is not for std downloads - I may be wrong in that, because my convention is to operate out of %user%\downloads... I think 'downloads' is for extensions and updates, which I don't mind included in the profile... I have not noticed 'downloads' growing/changing as the cache obviously does. In terms of backing up the data, where only new or changed are copied, the cache was the dilemma.

:beer: :seeya:
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 10:06:35 pm »
I just changed the folder in tools>options>general and they seem to be going there OK.

The tedious part was changing Thunderbird's local store folders for my dozen or so email accounts - you have to close and reopen after each change, then it re-downloads the contents.

Anyway they're all on a 2.5" hybrid 1TB drive now - seems to be work well for this kind of content.

Another option for relocating stuff that isn't configurable - e.g. game saves - is symbolic links...

Thunderbird works like FF.

Start=>Run=> thunderbird --profilemanager

assign the profile there, and direct the store where you want it to be...
Again, I use %user%\Archives\Thunderblrd...
That %user%\Archives folder is where I put all/any DB stuff like quickbooks, firefox. thunderbird, keypass, and etc... stuff I don't want in /Docs, but you can direct it anywhere.

When I reload a box, after install I shove in my data... Then I just point --profilemanager for both FF and TB at those ..\Archives\ folders and boom! all my accounts, mail, calendar, and extensions are right where they belong in the state I left them in...

That's why I like having them right with my data instead of buried like they normally are..

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 11:32:55 pm »
Guys,thanks for all the help. I am just going to run Edge for the time being,and pick a day when I am not stressed and chemo brain seems to be taking a nap,and will see about it then.

I was thinking I was pretty sharp early this afternoon,and then I couldn't remember my password to get this computer to boot up. Same damn thing it has been for about 10 years or more,and I was drawing a total blank. Remember it a little earlier,so I am able to post this now.

Tried to use my new laptop as an alternative,and can't remember what I did with the charger,and of course,none of the chargers I can find will work with the new one.

Want to hear a funny? Was feeling so sharp this morning I figured it would be a good day to upgade the screen setting on my new laptop to 144HZ before my time expires. Yeah,not going to do that,either.

Right at the moment I am focusing on getting my little HP 11 Inch laptop up and running again. GREAT little machine I bought for road trips. IIRC,I paid something like 130 bucks for it on sale maybe 5 years ago. Needless to say the battery is dead and I have to keep it on the charger to update all the software,and ALL the software needs updating. For some odd reason I was able to remember the password to get that one to boot.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 01:47:07 am »
Ok,I think my problem was mostly related to aol. Aol was my home page,and my sole email source. Suddenly my home page wouldn't load and I couldn't access or send emails.

Found out tonight that AOL has killed their free email,and that's why I couldn't send or receive emails.

Really looks like they would have given a guy a heads up,doesn't it? Especially since I have been using AOL email since Dos 3. Come to find out they closed it and are opening a new pay email service. Maybe it's just me,but not telling you that they have done this is no way to encourage customers to pay for their new premium service. Here I am with chemo brain,and can't begin to tell you how many hours I have invested in trying to figure this out.

I now have MS Outlook. Or will,if I can ever figure out how to finish setting it up and how to use it.

Good thing for me I still have all my aol email contacts and emails saved on my old laptops.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 12:46:58 pm »
Back before I built my current machine I was running on an old Dell that my daughter was given at work. They were getting rid of them. With each Firefox update it would get more and more sluggish. I ended up loading an ESR version of Firefox and it ran much better on that machine. You could give it a try.

You could get an ESR version to install here:https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-esr

@Elderberry

Thanks,but I finally solved my problem by just buying a new computer. After a couple of weeks of getting uploads up to 98 percent and then seeing the "blue screen of death",it was either that or start setting fire to the world.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 01:17:47 pm »
@Elderberry

Thanks,but I finally solved my problem by just buying a new computer. After a couple of weeks of getting uploads up to 98 percent and then seeing the "blue screen of death",it was either that or start setting fire to the world.

@sneakypete

I'm glad you're up and running. You're probably like me, addicted to being on the computer. I started working as a NASA integrator/tester  in 83. I had no computer at the office. The secretary got a PC in 85. I would stay late to get on it. As time went by I'd hear people say that they had a home computer. "What do you do with it?" I'd ask. The answers were like, "I keep my recipes on it", or "I reconcile my bank account on it". All thing I easily do with pencil, pen, and paper.

It wasn't until the early 90's I picked up a used 386. One of my co-workers had bought one for around $3k. I got mine for abt $300. I then discovered Archie, Gopher, and Usenet, and I was hooked. I finally found a need, for me, for a home computer. The access of information. We had our first child in 85. I knew I had to raise him in the "Computer Age" so I started him out with simple keyboard banger programs. And he took off from there.

Now I'm totally hooked. I've tried to back away some. Nope. I'm hooked.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 01:19:29 pm »
@sneakypete

Now I'm totally hooked. I've tried to back away some. Nope. I'm hooked.

@Elderberry

There ARE worse addictions.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 10:28:48 pm »
Sneakin' Pete wrote:
"Aol was my home page..."

A Fishrrman internet tip:
DON'T use any "homepage" at all.
NONE.

Set your browser so that when it opens, it just opens with a "blank page".
Then, select where you want to be from your bookmarks.

Think of it this way:
If you were going to paint something, would you start with either:
- a painting already there,
or
- an empty canvas?

I want to see that blank page in front of me, upon which I'll "add" the content I want.

I never EVER use "tabs", and generally will close an existing window and then open a blank page before I open another website. I find that to be a much cleaner "process" than trying to load a new page "over" an old one.

But then... on the web... I'm an ol' wizard on the Mac...  ;)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 10:39:35 pm »
Sneakin' Pete wrote:
"Aol was my home page..."

A Fishrrman internet tip:
DON'T use any "homepage" at all.
NONE.

Set your browser so that when it opens, it just opens with a "blank page".
Then, select where you want to be from your bookmarks.

Think of it this way:
If you were going to paint something, would you start with either:
- a painting already there,
or
- an empty canvas?

I want to see that blank page in front of me, upon which I'll "add" the content I want.

I never EVER use "tabs", and generally will close an existing window and then open a blank page before I open another website. I find that to be a much cleaner "process" than trying to load a new page "over" an old one.

But then... on the web... I'm an ol' wizard on the Mac...  ;)

Before I got fed up with Firefox crashing and switched to Chrome, my homepage was DRUDGE.

I'd hit that sucker at least 25-50 times each day.  Then add their 'refresh' page which inflates page hits.

Now that I have a 'blank' Google Page, Drudge doesn't get that automatic hit.

...no wonder he sold it.    :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 10:47:02 pm »
I use Firefox all the time and the only problem that I experience now and then is my browser refreshing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 10:47:44 pm »
TBR is my "Home Page.

And I would find it extremely cumbersome to not use Tabs or Multiple Windows when I am searching for Articles and posting them or researching duplicate Posts.

I had a Navy shipmate that would eat one item off his tray before eating the next, being careful not to allow them to mix.

You perchance weren't stationed on the Lex?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 10:49:44 pm »
I use Firefox all the time and the only problem that I experience now and then is my browser refreshing.

It must be a corrupted file the driver because reinstalling it didn't help.

It still crashes, but it only happens when FB is opened and I open another link, etc..  So I close FB if I'm going to really want to read the article.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald