Author Topic: In Mexico, activists splash presidential palace red, protesting women's murders  (Read 299 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
In Mexico, activists splash presidential palace red, protesting women's murders
The actions followed outrage over a young woman's murder and the publication of graphic photos of her mutilated corpse in newspapers.

Feb. 14, 2020, 5:03 PM CST
By Reuters

MEXICO CITY — Dozens of activists flocked to Mexico’s presidential palace on Friday to protest violence against women, chanting “not one murder more” and splashing one of its large, ornate doors with blood-red paint and the words “femicide state.”

The heated Valentine’s Day demonstration, led by women, stemmed from outrage in recent days over the killing of 25-year-old Ingrid Escamilla in Mexico City and the publication of graphic photos of her mutilated corpse in newspapers.

One protester spray-painted “INGRID” in tall pink letters on another palace door in tribute. Many participants noted that her death was only the latest example in a wave of brutal murders of women that have been dubbed “femicides.”

Read more at:   https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/mexico-activists-splash-presidential-palace-red-protesting-women-s-murders-n1137316

Yes, I'd be outraged too, I'd be protesting too.

If an expression like "is the sick man of Europe" is ever used, Mexico could be the "sick man of the Americas", this "macho" stuff that has gone on as a part of their culture, I think is a big part of it. On twitter,  I get news of so-called "femicide" from Canada which, for all practical purposes, doesn't have a lot but it keeps me up.