Author Topic: Unlike in Europe, the US approach to climate change is actually working  (Read 126 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Washington Examiner by Drew Johnson February 10, 2020

Speaking at the United Nations in December, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi drew cheers by saying the United States was "still in" the Paris Climate Agreement. Green activists applauded Pelosi's defense of the international climate accord, which President Trump had vowed to exit. These activists claim that remaining in the Paris Agreement will help reduce global emissions.

They are wrong.

European leaders have spent years trying and pointedly failing to solve the climate crisis with regulation. Whether intentionally or not, U.S. policymakers have mostly avoided top-down solutions. And counterintuitively, or perhaps it should have been intuitive, the U.S. now leads the developed world in reducing carbon emissions.

Policymakers can learn an important lesson from this. The key to fighting climate change is to unleash the power of the free market, not to embrace every green politician's or activist's nutty new idea.

More: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/unlike-in-europe-the-us-approach-to-climate-change-is-actually-working

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Unlike in Europe, the US approach to climate change is actually working
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 02:19:54 am »
Two good people, regarding Climate Change:

Patrick Moore, founder Greenpeace Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore_(consultant)

Bjorn Lomborg, Danish author, think tank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjørn_Lomborg
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 01:42:06 pm »
About the only way to 'fight' Climate Change is to adapt. That takes the full resources of humanity, not artificial constraints.

Climate has been actively changing for 4.6 billion years, give or take a few millions.

Nothing politicians can do will make one damned bit of difference.

Maybe we can employ them bailing out the oceans...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:14:26 pm »
They ought to ask people who live in the upper Midwest, like me,  if they want colder winter temps. I don't think they'd like the answer.
I remember very well the Siberia-like winters of my childhood and walking to school and arriving with my nostrils frozen. A  week or two of thirty degrees below zero for lows. Highs around zero or below. Icy winds whipping you into a human popsicle.
I don't want to return to those days.
Bring on the global warming. Which nobody can stop from happening whatever they do.