Author Topic: Dominion Pipeline Clashes With Appalachian Trail at High Court  (Read 727 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dominion Pipeline Clashes With Appalachian Trail at High Court
« on: February 11, 2020, 12:28:15 pm »
Bloomberg by Ellen M. Gilmer 2/10/2020

The Supreme Court hears oral arguments Feb. 24 in the high-stakes battle over the $7.8 billion Atlantic Coast pipeline. The justices must decide whether federal officials overstepped when they approved the project’s path across the Appalachian Trail.

The pipeline, backed by Dominion and Duke Energy Corp., would stretch some 600 miles from West Virginia’s shale gas fields to electric utilities in Virginia and North Carolina, helping to feed power demand on the Eastern Seaboard—though critics question how strong that demand really is.

The Blue Ridge mountains and the adjacent trail stand between the pipeline’s start and end points. The planned route would cross the range here, about 40 miles southwest of Charlottesville, Va. Conservation groups are concerned about impacts to the environment and the Appalachian Trail experience.

The resulting Supreme Court dispute is one of many clashes between the Trump administration’s quest for energy dominance and environmentalists’ efforts to protect the nation’s wild lands. More broadly, it spotlights a persistent challenge that transcends political winds: how to build America’s infrastructure without ripping up America.

More: https://news.bloombergenvironment.com/environment-and-energy/natural-gas-pipeline-iconic-trail-at-odds-in-supreme-court-case

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Dominion Pipeline Clashes With Appalachian Trail at High Court
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 12:41:21 pm »
Bloomberg by Ellen M. Gilmer 2/10/2020

The Supreme Court hears oral arguments Feb. 24 in the high-stakes battle over the $7.8 billion Atlantic Coast pipeline. The justices must decide whether federal officials overstepped when they approved the project’s path across the Appalachian Trail.

Huge decision upcoming.  If struck down, the cost efficiency of all kinds of infrastructure projects becomes a problem. 
I am all for preserving natural beauty, but when becomes so restrictive, that it impacts ability to implement?

Where were these same arguments, when the damn wind wind generators starting littering all over the western vistas?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:47:47 pm »
The Appalachian Trail runs from Georgia to Maine. A pipeline right-of'way in Virginia is 75 feet wide (out of 2,200 miles).

Yep, sure, you betcha, that will ruin the whole trip... *****rollingeyes***** 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 12:52:02 pm »

Existing pipelines:

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 01:00:45 pm »
The Appalachian Trail runs from Georgia to Maine. A pipeline right-of'way in Virginia is 75 feet wide (out of 2,200 miles).

Yep, sure, you betcha, that will ruin the whole trip... *****rollingeyes*****

Envirowhackoism run amok.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 01:07:35 pm »
This has to be about the dumbest thing I have read in a long time.
Who has authority?  They all work for the President so guess what I solved if for you....