General Category > Archaeology

Turns out the Irish have more Viking in them than Previously Thought

<< < (3/4) > >>

Absalom:

--- Quote from: truth_seeker on March 26, 2020, 04:58:34 pm ---Very few go that deep with knowledge.  The Normans were also French speaking, at the time they gained power in Merrey olde Englande.
They brought with them and imposed upon Britain, concepts of law, governance from ancient Latin origins.
The blend  of Latin legal precepts, with common laws derived from Alglo/Saxons (Germanic) would over time form "English Common Law," basis for American law.
The contribution from Scandinavians (Vikings) was their usage of 'Town Halls' called "Thing"
It was there, the chieftons met with their sujects in big meeting buildings, were served(by faire blonde maidens in low tops)  beveridges to improve their debate skills.
In part that is the basis of "conservatism" as we came to understand it. Later in Endlande they put in some French words to make it look more fancy.
In the most simple terms, Greek became Roman, became French. Anglo/Saxon combined with Viking became "Anglish"

--- End quote ---
----------------------------
The commentary on 'common law' is insightful and on the mark.
Well done!!!

Quix:

--- Quote from: Free Vulcan on March 26, 2020, 12:30:20 pm ---The author does realize that the Normans were also Vikings and not French?

--- End quote ---

Initially.

I think later, they were a mixture of Vikings & French.

Quix:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on March 26, 2020, 03:41:41 pm ---@Quix

It has been my experience that when people tell you that,they do NOT mean it in a "good way".

--- End quote ---

Certainly many meant it negatively or teasingly negative. But not all. Many were merely noting how I tended to live & act beyond the 3rd standard deviation from the mean on most measures.

Quix:
SORRY. WRONG FORUM

YOU CAN READ MY POST IN THE LATEST CLEANING OUT THE SWAMP THREAD IN THE ALT REAL FORUM:

HERE:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,379376.new.html#new

Quix:

--- Quote from: Free Vulcan on March 26, 2020, 12:30:20 pm ---The author does realize that the Normans were also Vikings and not French?

--- End quote ---

Some close to me--has a paternal family name that evidently derives from a French form meaning

"From [said smaller Normandy region]" with an Anglicized ending.

The paper trail ended in Gloucestershire Newent England in the 1400's.

They haven't succeeded in tracking records down across the channel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version