Author Topic: The Impeachment of Captain Queeg (Berman)  (Read 243 times)

Online corbe

The Impeachment of Captain Queeg (Berman)
« on: February 06, 2020, 03:58:03 pm »
The Impeachment of Captain Queeg

The conservative NeverTrumpers are our Keefers. They root against the man they should be crewing for. When leakers and the mainstream media publish salacious details of Trump's erratic behavior, the Keefers erupt with joy. But as Lt. Greenwald observed, none of the crew supported Queeg when he tried to reach out for help. They let him fail.

by Steve Berman
February 5th, 2020

I am seeing a lot of conservatives hailing Mitt Romney, and tossing online tomatoes at Mike Lee and other Republicans who voted to acquit President Trump in his impeachment trial. I think there’s plenty of good arguments for voting either way, but it was obvious from the start that the Democrats had brought show-trial articles of impeachment to gain political advantage in the election. There was never really an attempt to convict the president, which would have required 19 Republican senators signing on.

Speaking of show trials, this whole macabre celebration of victory, and simultaneous heaping of scorn, reminds me of one of the greatest movies, well, ever. The Caine Mutiny is a masterpiece, based on a semi-true Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Herman Wouk, inspired by his experience in the U.S. Navy during WWII. If you haven’t seen the movie, featuring the great Humphrey Bogart, José Ferrer, Van Johnson, and Fred MacMurray, go watch it tonight. Then you’ll be able to get the rest of this post.

You see, aboard the U.S.S. Caine, Captain Queeg was not the villain, the mentally ill skipper “Old Yellowstain” whose erratic commands and cracking under the stress of battle endangered his ship and crew. Sure, Queeg probably never should have gotten command of the old ship, but it was his crew who let him down. As Ferrer’s character, JAG lawyer Lt. Barney Greenwald, exposed in the film’s penultimate scene, breaking Queeg was like shooting fish in a barrel. The real villain was the crew, cowed by MacMurray’s character Mister Keefer, who brought Queeg down.

The conservatives screaming that Trump should be impeached were likely the same ones who didn’t vote for him in 2016. They were the core of the NeverTrump movement, who have pitted themselves against the president, even at the cost of their own voice within the party, and some of the good people who stand for their values.

<..snip..>

https://theresurgent.com/2020/02/05/the-impeachment-of-captain-queeg/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

Re: The Impeachment of Captain Queeg (Berman)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:07:31 pm »
This writer distances himself from 'Never Trumpers', but he sounds alot like one himself.

Cain Mutiny is one of the best movies ever made. But Fred McMurray was a poor choice for the role - too likable. Hard to believe Herman Wouk died only less than a year ago.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:27:48 pm »
This writer distances himself from 'Never Trumpers', but he sounds alot like one himself.

Cain Mutiny is one of the best movies ever made. But Fred McMurray was a poor choice for the role - too likable. Hard to believe Herman Wouk died only less than a year ago.

I don't know about that.  Hitchcock cast MacMurray as a villain too, around the time of The Cain Mutiny.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:30:33 pm »
I don't know about that.  Hitchcock cast MacMurray as a villain too, around the time of The Cain Mutiny.

Personal opinion I guess. Jose Ferrer, on the other hand, was superlative. What a voice.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:31:43 pm by skeeter »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 04:41:44 pm »
Personal opinion I guess. Jose Ferrer, on the other hand, was superlative. What a voice.

MacMurray was always a likeable figure, which is why Hitchcock cast him as a villain.  Hitch liked doing things like that.  He had a hundred and one ways of keeping the audience off-balance.  Master of suspense stuff.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 04:43:21 pm »
MacMurray was always a likeable figure, which is why Hitchcock cast him as a villain.  Hitch liked doing things like that.  He had a hundred and one ways of keeping the audience off-balance.  Master of suspense stuff.

My problem is I grew up on My Three Sons.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 05:16:20 pm »

We all did. :cool:
I will NOT comply.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 10:14:39 pm »
Thanks a lot. Now that theme song has been going through my head ever since you posted your reply. And yes, I see the picture of the cartoon sneakers from the start of the show in my head too.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 10:52:24 pm »

Hard to believe they survived, considering there was only one bathroom in the house.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online corbe

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 11:13:14 pm »
   I Demand yall stop derailing my Thread with all this MacMurray talk.   :beer:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.