Author Topic: Opinion: Beware Mitch McConnell Post Impeachment  (Read 154 times)

Offline corbe

Opinion: Beware Mitch McConnell Post Impeachment
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:27:17 pm »
Opinion: Beware Mitch McConnell Post Impeachment

Posted at 4:00 am on February 5, 2020 by Mike Ford

I am not generally a Mitch McConnell fan. His litany of sins is long and egregious. He along with Paul Ryan, essentially rolled newly minted President Trump on the first budget, getting him to sign off on a huge deficit increase. He followed that up by interfering in Alabama’s 2017 Senate Republican primary, resulting in the election of a liberal Democrat (Doug Jones) for the first time since 1997.

Having said all of that, an honest pundit (which I do try to be) should give the devil his due. In matters of procedure, process and when it gets right down to it, political hardball, McConnell is the master. Take judicial confirmations for instance. Over at Slate, Mark Joseph Stern writes
The continued churn of Trump’s judicial confirmation machine ensures that the impact of his soon-to-be-tainted presidency will be felt for decades.

Obviously Stern is no fan of the President, but he recognizes the assembly line efficiency of the current judicial confirmation process, a process largely quarterbacked by Majority Leader McConnell. Here is the confirmation score to date:

<..snip..>

https://www.redstate.com/darth641/2020/02/05/opinion-beware-mitch-mcconnell-post-impeachment/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Opinion: Beware Mitch McConnell Post Impeachment
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 05:40:06 pm »
Both the new witnesses conversation and the additional commentary period could And should have been kiboshed by McConnell right from jump street.

The writer says that...but offers absolutely zero evidence that McConnell had the votes.  In fact, from everything I read, McConnell wanted to end this thing last Friday or Saturday, but didn't have the votes in the caucus.  I also read that Trump's own lawyers wanted more time to prepare their argument.