Author Topic: Tesla released a ‘dyno mode’ and you should NOT use it (seriously, really)  (Read 592 times)

Offline thackney

Tesla released a ‘dyno mode’ and you should NOT use it (seriously, really)
https://electrek.co/2020/02/03/tesla-released-a-dyno-mode-and-you-should-not-use-it-seriously-really/
Feb. 3rd 2020

Over the last few days, there have been a lot of reports of Tesla owners activating “dyno mode,” a mode that disables safety systems for the purpose of testing the car on a dynamometer.

Some videos and comments have surfaced of owners irresponsibly using this mode on public roads which endangers public safety.  Do not do this.  This article will be an attempt to explain the relevant safety features of your Tesla, why they’re there, and why you shouldn’t turn them off by activating dyno mode.

A dynamometer (or “dyno”) is a device used for testing a car’s power output.  There are various types, but all of them generally work by providing a way for the car to send power to the drive wheels without actually moving the vehicle, and then the dyno records the power output of the car.

Dynos are used by car companies and enthusiasts to test power output, by aftermarket customizers to test the effectiveness of their modifications, and by regulatory agencies to measure efficiency.

Tesla’s dyno mode was first documented in an EPA filing last October.  The filing also included several photos of the car on a dynamometer for testing purposes, and data for the EPA to establish the car’s efficiency.

Now, word has gotten out about how to activate this mode, and Electrek is here to remind you not to use it on public roads.  Seriously.  It is dangerous, you have a high likelihood of crashing your car and endangering yourself and others.  At the very least causing significant damage to your vehicle which will likely take a long time to repair.  So just don’t activate it....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I was a bit of a "car guy" in my youth, and warnings like this were like catnip.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I was a bit of a "car guy" in my youth, and warnings like this were like catnip.
Yeah, it's like telling your two year old not to stick a fork in a light socket...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis