Author Topic: Movie: Chris Knight: Quezon’s Game dramatizes Philippine's courageous role in fighting Holocaust  (Read 378 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Just saying, a review at IMDB said it's a masterpiece. This review may find some flaws. It is a Philippine movie. I just wanted to post something to get this up on board. Trailer after article.

Chris Knight: Quezon’s Game dramatizes Philippine's courageous role in fighting Holocaust
Well-meaning but uninspired, Quezon's Game tells how the Philippines' president worked to admit Jewish refugees on the eve of the Second World War

A still from the 2020 film Quezon's Game.ABS - CBN Films   

I’ve long been a fan of films that show what nations other than America were up to around the Second World War. 2008’s Max Manus is a ripping yarn about a Norwegian saboteur. The 11th Day from 2005 documents the 1941 Battle of Crete, during which Greek civilians rose up against Nazi paratroopers. And I hear there’s a movie or two about some of Britain’s exploits.

Quezon’s Game, a low-budget, big-hearted docudrama from British-born Filipino director Matthew Rosen, tells the story of how the Philippines’ president Manuel Quezon overcame opposition at home and in America (the country was then a U.S.-administered commonwealth) to allow more than 1,100 European Jewish refugees into his territory in the late 1930s.

As president, Quezon had much to lose from this risky gambit, but Rosen’s film celebrates various other players as well, chief among them Alex Frieder (Billy Ray Gallion), a Jewish-American cigar manufacturer who regularly played poker with the president and with future U.S. president Dwight Eisenhower, then a colonel stationed in Manila.

Read more at: https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/chris-knight-quezons-game-dramatizes-philippines-courageous-role-in-fighting-holocaust

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I don't know if it was just released, it is showing nearby. Sounds fairly good. I had no idea of this history.

Internet Movie Data Base users, some very positive reviews: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9611484/reviews?ref_=tt_ql_3

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:47:39 am by TomSea »