Author Topic: Greta Thunberg nominated for Nobel Peace Prize  (Read 963 times)

Offline thackney

Re: Greta Thunberg nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 04:05:35 pm »
Yes. The Nobel prize, and particularly the Nobel Peace Prize have become a farce - Similar in kind to being knighted by the Queen of England. It used to mean something - A great honor... It is no more.

It originally meant "please don't hate me" by it's founder, Alfred Nobel.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/10/14/alfred-nobel-created-the-nobel-prize-as-a-false-obituary-declared-him-the-merchant-of-death/

The founder of the awards, Alfred Nobel,was himself known for many achievements and contributions to various fields, holding 335 different patents. However, the reason Nobel left most of his fortune to establish the Nobel Foundation was to improve his public image, not wanting to be remembered as the “Merchant of Death” for inventing dynamite.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 04:17:29 pm »
It originally meant "please don't hate me" by it's founder, Alfred Nobel.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/10/14/alfred-nobel-created-the-nobel-prize-as-a-false-obituary-declared-him-the-merchant-of-death/

The founder of the awards, Alfred Nobel,was himself known for many achievements and contributions to various fields, holding 335 different patents. However, the reason Nobel left most of his fortune to establish the Nobel Foundation was to improve his public image, not wanting to be remembered as the “Merchant of Death” for inventing dynamite.
Just goes to show how people will view things. Think of all the miners and others saved from death and mutilation by using the far more stable dynamite (versus nitroglycerin or black powder, which has its quirks). That it was adapted to use for military uses is an aside, though he likely profited handsomely. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 04:26:15 pm »
Just goes to show how people will view things. Think of all the miners and others saved from death and mutilation by using the far more stable dynamite (versus nitroglycerin or black powder, which has its quirks). That it was adapted to use for military uses is an aside, though he likely profited handsomely.

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,I guess "quirks" is one way of putting it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!