Author Topic: The Big Mac In Moscow Turns 30  (Read 873 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Big Mac In Moscow Turns 30
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:52:59 pm »
The picture gallery is part of a larger article declaring how McDonald's is cancelling it's Moscow 30th birthday bash because of fears over virus fears.   See article for gallery.  Also, using a second article from Radio Free Europe.
The Week In Russia: Big Mac Memories And Long-Held Grievances

A phalanx of young, crisp-uniformed employees at the counter of Russia's first McDonald's restaurant on Pushkin Square in 1990.

Fast food it wasn't.

When McDonald's opened in Moscow 30 years ago today, the line wound all the way around Pushkin Square every day for many months. Unless you paid some enterprising young people to get you a spot closer to the door, damaging your pocketbook and your moral standing and risking the ire of fellow future diners, it took hours to get inside.

And being inside was no guarantee that you would bite into your Big Mac very soon: There was still the crush before the counter, manned by a phalanx of young, crisp-uniformed employees, and a fair amount of time could elapse before you were facing one signaling readiness to take an order with a cry of "svobodnaya kassa" -- free cash register.

Read more and see gallery at: https://www.rferl.org/a/the-week-in-russia-big-mac-memories-and-long-held-grievances-/30410356.html

Photogallery:
The Big Mac In Moscow Turns 30

RFE/RL

(2/11) Muscovites were undeterred by the high prices at the new restaurant. Back in 1990, a Big Mac cost 3.50 rubles, more than a monthly bus pass. (The average monthly salary at the time was 150 rubles.)

(10/11) It wasn't all plain sailing for McDonald's in its early days in Russia. Here, Russian animal rights activists protest outside an outlet in 1992.

More: https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-mcdonald-s-cancels-big-mac-30th-birthday--coronavirus/30408572.html

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Big Mac In Moscow Turns 30
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 11:20:41 pm »
(10/11) It wasn't all plain sailing for McDonald's in its early days in Russia. Here, Russian animal rights activists protest outside an outlet in 1992.

Yeah,Russian Animal Rights Activists wearing an American flag on a t-shirt,and holding signs printed in English.

BTW,I went to that McD's on my first trip to Moscow,and even though the big line was gone,going there was still a big deal. The prices were probably high because the meat and milk,as well as the rest of it,probably,was flown in from the west.There were no McDonalds local suppliers or warehouses in Moscow.

I have never been anywhere in my life that had so many beautiful women as Moscow. In fact,probably the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life was seen in passing as I went past while riding in a taxi. She was operating a jackhammer and busting up asphalt to repair pot holes. Blonde with the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen. Just stunning. You will never see a woman that looks that good doing menial labor in the US.

Men,if you go,go in the spring. The Russian girls are tired of wearing the layers of winter coats and scarves,and like to strut their stuff in micro-minis and see through tops in spring. Not all of them,but enough to insure you remain confused.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:23:10 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!