Author Topic: Why Texans Don't Want Any More Californians (The Atlantic)  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Why Texans Don't Want Any More Californians (The Atlantic)
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 04:11:34 pm »
@Bigun

Then those of you in Texas have MUCH better luck with Californians than those of us in the south do with yankees. The first things those bastards do when they move here after retirement is say how much they love the freedom and casual atmosphere,and the second thing is say "We need more zoning laws and home owner boards to protect my property values." Seems like the ONLY things they are really in favor of is guards at the gates of the housing developments they move into,and turning public gold courses into private golf courses.

@sneakypete Texans have ways of dealing with those types. Unfortunately, I can't tell you about those.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 04:17:33 pm »
Speaking as a native born Californian, now you can feel the way we did throughout the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s when we had record in-migration every decade since WWII.

Pres. Reagan's 1986 Amnesty should rate as one of the all-time most consequential causes for the state's political pole reversal.

When California had Nixon and Reagan, Texas had LBJ and then Ann Richards.

@truth_seeker

BTW,it wasn't "Reagan's Amnesty". The Dims forced him to agree to a ONE TIME amnesty in exchange for them agreeing to close the border. Reagan kept his promise,and they didn't. They just used that as a precedent they could work off of.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 01:11:41 am »
@Milee

Unfortunately,Denver,Boulder, and Colorado Springs are a lost cause,as are the ski resort towns,and the rest of Colorado just doesn't amount to enough votes to slap them back into place. The ONLY bright spot in the above is most of the uber-wealthy ski bums aren't residents and can't vote.

Same deal with the other western states with lots of land and low populations. Most of the industry and jobs are in the cities,not to mention the public housing projects,and that's where the "furriners" from dead states are moving. You really can't blame them. The parasites want the "free stuff",and the people that need the jobs HAVE to move to the bigger cities because that is where the jobs are.
That's the beauty of much of the oil patch. You can live wherever, you just have to be out at the rig to work. Nowadays, some folks don't even have to do that, so long as they can get decent internet.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 01:26:41 am »
That's the beauty of much of the oil patch. You can live wherever, you just have to be out at the rig to work. Nowadays, some folks don't even have to do that, so long as they can get decent internet.

I worked a lot out of my house using the internet for the last 7-8 years of my last job, just to get out of driving a mile each way.  I can be a really lazy bleep, but my cars are low mileage.  My last year in, I actually drove a lot more, so I was looking forward to retiring early.  Now the cars get a crapton more miles, just driving into town for volunteer work we do to get us out of the Castle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 01:50:12 am »
@truth_seeker

BTW,it wasn't "Reagan's Amnesty". The Dims forced him to agree to a ONE TIME amnesty in exchange for them agreeing to close the border. Reagan kept his promise,and they didn't. They just used that as a precedent they could work off of.

"You F'd up, you trusted us!"

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2020, 02:09:16 am »

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2020, 03:06:32 am »

Characterize it as you will.

I hold him responsible.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 03:22:43 am »
Characterize it as you will.

I hold him responsible.

I was very disappointed in that cave, too.  Left a bad taste in my mouth.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 03:49:32 am »
Sad to say, but the last great Conservative got nuked by a Daisy Ad:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis